Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 875 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,117 reviews
on December 6, 2013
I have been a fan of Tomb Raider since I was like 6 or 7 years old. I remember playing these games on the computer and on PS2 for hours. These games have been my favorite no matter what games came out because one they had a female protagonist and you don't see a lot of movies let alone games with them and I love seeing women kick ass I get tired of dudes lol, but anyway I don't even know how to even put in words on how good this game is, it is non stop perpetual never ending action that will have you saying oh s*** throughout the game and to me this is the best one ever made I mean Lara takes a big ass beating in this one I mean she hardcore as hell. This is the first actual survivor game i have played none of that other s*** you actually have to do it all and you will see what i mean if you play it.

The graphics in this game are the best and I am not exaggerating when I say this, the best I have seen since they started making games with good graphics. I felt like I was playing with real people lol I mean look at the cover that looks like a real person.

I can go on and write a book on how good this game is but all I can say is play please do
on November 23, 2016
Tomb Raider is absolutely a sick game! I recently exaughsted all my gameplay and needed new stuff. So after ordering "The Last of Us" and Wolfstein," and finding out they were defective games, which is common on this site, I was desperate. So I ordered TC Splinter Cell Black List, Resistance 3, Uncharted 3, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Crysis 3 and.... TOMB RAIDER. I love it. Laura Croft is a beast. I wish I had gotten into the series years ago. Yes I know I'm way behind the games but who cares? The graphics, the weapons, the lost tombs, having to use your mind to figure things out, the action. By George, there is sooooo much action right from the start. It reminds me a lot of Far Cry, but the pace, the region, the weapons, the enemies, and the mission itself gives it a much different feel. The camera angles give an authentic movie feel. The dialogue is realistic and passionate. The enemies are not so easy to kill, so that uncertainty factor keeps you from feeling the manotny. Buy this game. You'll love it!
on December 31, 2013
I been a gamer for well over two decades and by far this is one the best game ever.
IT made me stop playing Far Cry 3, Dark Souls,, Borderlands 2 and made me regret buying Batman AC....
Call me what you want, I don't play as girl and I don't like action game. my prefered poison is RPG.
But I still rate this game as the best game ever.
IT'S THAT GOOD.

Pros
Amazing graphics. The character models were skinned and rigged by the industry's best. Never seen anyone rigging a model without even a slightest "deformed" deformation.....again amazing. Background is utterly hauntingly beautiful.
A Perfect control. button placement is very intuitive and the control is precise. Only thing weird was the Quick Time Event....that was awful.
Great atmosphere. This game's story falls right between thriller and horror. Very intense, very VERY well done.
Cons
.The QTE was frustrating due to the artificially tweaking the difficulty of timing. The timing of the button pressing was VERY random and imprecise. So when to push the right button is a pure luck and a guessing game. I died more at the QTE then all other times combined. Really lazy on programmers part.

Overall a ten star game. This game should have won every award there is. This game should been a system seller IMO.
Please go buy this game and have a blast. when sequal is released that,s when I'm getting my PS4. You hear me Sony?
on September 15, 2014
I watched my older sister play this on her Xbox and instantly wanted to try it. She had been the one to introduce me to Tomb Raider after all, I just never had the chance to play it for myself until I moved in with my boyfriend, who has a PS3. So, I bought it and played it through. There were a few things that bothered me, but that was mostly the story.

From what I know of Tomb Raider, the story was marred quite a bit, excluding the fact that Lara is nobility. They make her strong character of the main games stem from her experiences on that island, which from what I know, seems more likely that it stemmed from what she endured as a child -including a plane crash with her mother.

Setting the main story errors aside, the game is very fun, keeping certain classic Tomb Raider moves, such as jumping ledges in certain ways. It is also very dark, and suspenseful. And on the small tv I first played it on, it can verge on close to horror midway through the game. Thats just on small tvs though, larger ones didn't give the same impression, I noticed.

Despite the number of weapons I get in the game as Lara, I always end up going back to the bow and arrows, as they are quieter and better for ambush that an Assault Rifle, Pistol or Shotgun. That, however, is just me.

Despite the story flaws presented in Lara's past, the game its self is a joy to play; dark, creepy, suspenseful and just downright fun, with plenty to go back through the island for!
on August 29, 2013
First off, I am a TR fan since the first one came out in 1995. Through the years, there have been drastic changes. What surprised me with this TR is, that they did stick to the basic in terms of, the atmosphere, not too much action... you are alone in the woods etc. I enjoyed it. The story was good, I did not like the end. It starts very intense .... and you really are feeling what she is feeling. This ia a different Lara, she cries and she gets hurt.... completely new side but it was great to see!!!! BUT...yes there is a BUT.. i wish she had changed locations, in old Tomb Raiders you travel from country to country and I wish it was the case here, you go from mountains to city or Alaska... it was exciting to see where you gonna end up next, when you complete levels. Today's graphics give endless possibilities, I think they should have utilized that. with this TR it was a bit monoton when it came to change of scenary. You are pretty much only in the woods and thats it.
I like the fact that they are trying to build a team in this game and have different characters BUT I don't feel like I know them very well. For some reason it doesn't get to the point where I really care about them. I wish I did feel a connection through the game and I was still hopeful until the end but it just did not happen.
What I also didn't like to much is, that the puzzles were very limited and you didnt really had to do them at all. TR has always been about puzzles,a great combination 30% puzzle and 70% action would have been wonderful.
From all the Tomb Raiders, this one is one of the best ones.

My favorite Tomb Raiders are TR I, II, IV and Anniversary and this one. I am looking forward to the next TR!
on December 18, 2013
pros:
graphics
intuitive cover mechanics
excellent controls
beautiful set pieces
story
voice acting
great pacing

cons:
cliched supporting cast
trial and error QTE's
useless RPG style leveling up
puzzles too easy
poor character development
game freezes
framerate drops
only 25% fighting
no bonus for game completion

after playing for an hour, the framerate dropped massively playing on my ps3 super slim; then got glitchy and finally would freeze after couple of hours. it was jarring to see lara becoming a skilled assassin instantly when only moments before she was a scared inexperienced young woman. i finished the game at 99% completion first playthrough on normal difficulty. second playthrough on hard without upgrading a single skill or weapon was more enjoyable, albeit more challenging (shanty town battles were crazy). after completing the single player, you're not rewarded with infinite ammo nor a NEW GAME+; not even new outfits or other cool unlockables. "you want new outfits? show me the money! you want other useless items? show me the money!" despite it's noticeable flaws, i can't wait for the next installment.
on May 13, 2015
I liked Uncharted Drake's Fortune (UDF) and was looking for something similar...this was it. Overall concept, weapons, movements & controls were familiar. There's a lot I liked about Tomb Raider (TR). Graphics were better (newer game) and the action was more realistic. I liked that you could go unnoticed or sneak up on the enemy. The death scenes (Lara's in particular) were especially graphic which I found amusing. There were some decent puzzles in the mix - I could have used more of this. Some of the shootouts were daunting at first, but you improve & eventually find a way through.

There were several downsides as well. UDF briefly utilized "movie mode" (where you just watch & listen) to advance the story line. TR did WAY more of this, but even more annoying TR (almost seamlessly) interlaces "movie mode" with "action mode" so you can't tell if you're watching or playing - this leads to unnecessary deaths and frustrations of wrenching on the controls with no response. The story line is pretty complicated and I had trouble keeping track of all the characters the first time through. There was a bit of a logic problem that Lara had so many allies but always ventured out on her own to do battle (Drake at least interacted with his two allies in UDF). There were only 3 memory locations for saving the game, so I couldn't bookmark the spots I liked. The ending seemed a bit anti-climactic compared to other games.

In spite of the complaints I enjoyed the game....overall UDF was more worthy of a replay.
on January 10, 2016
...which means a lot of banal dialogue, and some of the worst voice acting you've ever heard. Another thing
that annoys me about this game is how Lara is portrayed as a complete weakling . She's terrified
of using weapons when the game first starts out, squeals everytime she is grazed by a bullet, and does a lot of
crying, weeping and whining generally throughout the game. This is definetly not the cunning, tough adventurer we
were used to in previous installments of the game. Not sure why Square Enix decided to go in this direction.

Other than that though the game is pretty good, with outstanding graphics and thrilling gameplay. But again, we're
not seeing anything particularly new. It's basically "Uncharted" on steroids. So while I would recommend the game,
don't prepared to see something completely original, and be prepared to be annoyed by minor things like the
excruiating dialogue and truly awful voice acting.
on March 27, 2015
Well, what can I say and why didn't I buy this game along time ago?

(First of all I like Tomb Raiders (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld) but hate timers just like Saw if I can’t get it on time I’ll die or start over again from the top its hard for me I even use “easy” its frustrating and just not very fun to play, never finished it now in the dust shelf).

So I checked this one out and watched a walkthrough “Tomb Raider 2013” and took a chance and bought it, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!, Just the same as Uncharted games !! The graphic’s, landscape, sound are beautiful, great puzzle‘s, treasures, great combat love the bow, the frame rate is smooth, even like the QT (QuickTime) great storytelling love how they got the voice documents.....

The Base Camps: is easy upgrading! and Fast Travel: If u missed something from the last level u can go back! Example: if u go to the first time in the dark night and missed something or can’t find/see it, u can travel back and it will be a sunny day instead.

The shipwreck beach it just like real life started a sunny day to a sunset to the dark night with crickets.

I’m a little scared of heights some times I get nervous and scare the crap out of me but good thing they got some good check points lol. If u love climbing games like Uncharted 1-3 and Splinter Cell Blacklist u will love this great game !!

I can't wait to play Rise of the Tomb Raider and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End soon!!!
review image review image
on November 12, 2014
Extremely fun game that throws Lara Croft into a different light. In this installment, she is not the buxom woman that takes everything the world throws at her and eats it with spoons.
In this game Lara is a young archeologist, on an expedition searching for a lost island empire called Yamatai in the Pacific Ocean. Of course no Tomb Raider game would be complete without difficulty and enemies attempting to spoil your day, usually by killing you, or in this case, sacrificing your best friend to the immortal Queen of Storms.
This throws Lara into a very new light, as she's scrambling to survive against both the enemies and the animals that inhabit the island. She has no prior experience with combat at this point, and it really shows in the cutscenes, where she is forced to do things just to survive (cauterizing a puncture in her side with a lighter and a steel-tipped arrow for instance).

The actual gameplay operates off a standard over-the-shoulder camera, with triggers firing your weapons and d-pad selecting your weapons. Climbing and gunplay are the main gameplay mechanics, but there are some times when puzzle solving is required, but most are moderately simple, and just require a correct sense to timing. Gunplay revolves around a set amount of enemies attacking you at certain points, but in mixed groups. Maybe 2 enemies with ranged weapons to pin you down, while a few enemies with melee weapons rush you. It keeps it interesting, though sometimes enemies are exceedingly irritating in their abilities. The climbing is climbing. Not a whole lot I can say about it.

Killing enemies, finding relics, completing challenges(find X items in this area), and solving puzzles give you experience used to upgrade Lara's abilities, such as reducing damage taken. In my opinion, only a select few of the upgrades aren't very meaningful, though you will quickly realize which are the most important.

Salvage is a resource that you receive from enemies and boxes you break open around the game world. This is used to 'buy' upgrades for your various weapons, from increasing the accuracy of your Rifle, to reducing the recoil of your Shotgun. Each weapon has a series of upgraded versions(Recurve Bow > Compound Bow > Competition Bow) which increase the number of performance upgrades available. You upgrade the base weapon by finding weapon parts in boxes, and tomb puzzles around the game world.

All in all this is an extremely entertaining game. Lots of relics, and challenges will keep you playing for many hours.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.