Other Sellers on Amazon
Tomee Zapp Gun for NES
- Compatible with NES, RetroN 1, 2, and 3
- Two-tone color, revolver style hand gun
- Hard plastic material
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers who bought this item also bought
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Your question may be answered by sellers, manufacturers, or customers who purchased this item, who are all part of the Amazon community.
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Please enter a question.
The Tomee Zapp Gun is compatible with the NES and the RetroN 1, 2, and 3. It allows you to play your favorite shooting titles such as Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, Gumshoe, etc. Plug the Zapp Gun into your console, insert a compatible NES cartridge, and shoot objects on-screen by aiming and pulling the trigger. This product will not work on LCD, LED, and most modern HDTV television sets.
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I can't believe it - it actually works. It might actually work better than I remember it working on my childhood NES + CRT. Remember though: the games have to be custom patched, and the three games I listed are the only ones that are currently supported. You won't be able to use your original light gun game cartridges.
I've uploaded a quickly shot video to show the gun in action with Duck Hunt.
Update: The gun must be plugged directly into the console. It does not work when connected through my NES controller extension cable.
See my pics with the real NES zapper vs Hyperkins.
While it lacks some of the nostalgia factor (that spring twang and stiff trigger) I'd say it works better than the original. The smooth trigger lets me spam it for some real sharpshooting, making me feel like I'm in a western or something. With this design, one can shoot both ducks in a split second. I squeezed the trigger a bit hard as a stress test, and it holds quite well on its own. The plastic's a bit softer and thinner. Added on to the fact that it has less internal workings thanks to slightly more modern and less costly parts, it feels quite a bit lighter. But it doesn't really feel like it's just a cheap knockoff, in spite of it being exactly that. So, as long as you're not taking a hammer to it, it should hold up all right. They used a slightly modified mold, so it looks near identical to the original with the exception of the stock. It's just as comfortable to hold, too.
If you want to save a few bucks over a used original Zapper, then go for it. My expectations for this were pretty low considering the brand and price. I figured it was only 6 bucks and this thing greatly exceeded my expectations based on the reviews. I'm guessing that the worst case scenario is that you get one of the few defective ones and you'll have to exchange it.
And no, it doesn't work on flatscreen TVs. The way the games are designed to work make it impossible to use anything but a curved CRT. If you want to play on a modern TV, get the Wii U virtual console version and use the Wii Remote..
For those of you trying to play the retro games:
1. None of the guns (original old Nintendo guns or any of these replicas) will work with a modern flat screen TV. You will have to get an old thick heavy tube style television from a thrift store or a curb.
2. The original Nintendo guns will work with most of the knock off Nintendo systems and most knock off guns will work with NES.
3. Unfortunately, most original Nintendo guns only work some of the time, or probably not at all. (I bought several original Nintendo guns before I finally gave up and tried this one.)
4. Again, there were no compatibility issues, but the original guns are just too old and they have not lasted this long.
5. There are differences though. These remake guns are not the same as the originals. The original gun has a hefty feel, and the trigger gives tough resistance, and it makes a loud satisfying snap when you shoot. The remake guns are very light, with a sensitive trigger that weakly clicks when you shoot, and also the cord is much shorter than an original.
Overall, this gun gets five stars from me anyway because: it is compatible - it works with Retron3 and Yobo, and it actually works - of course an original Nintendo gun would be better, but good luck finding one that is still fully functional.
(Unrelated Note: the gun in the picture is blue, but the one I received is orange and looks just like an original orange gun.)
A shame, as the build quality seemed decent. It was lighter than a zapper, but that gun had brass weights.
Not recommended--especially since Amazon won't accept returns on this item. Buyer beware.
Top international reviews
Même étant un super bon viseur comme moi en visant à bout portant
Ça ne fonctionne pas il tire toujours à côté
Quatre jours après le pistolet ne fonctionné plus
Le vendeur a refusé de payer les frais de retour et il était injoignable après avoir appelé plusieurs fois au numéro de téléphone indiquer je n'ai eu personne je conseille vraiment de ne pas acheter chez ce vendeur qui n'est pas du tout professionnel et encore moins ce pistolet si possible acheter le pistolet original
Dislikes: None yet