Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 10 reviews
on July 27, 2016
Interesting book that made me think more about my own garden design. Wish I could have chickens where I live! I bought this after hearing the author speak at the Des Moines Botanical Garden.
on May 8, 2013
I enjoyed the book. It reads like a series of magazine articles. It isn't a how-to book, more a discussion of current gardening trends with beautiful and interesting examples. Unfortunately, it isn't properly produced as an e-book. The photos are small and are blurry when enlarged. The captions often appear on the next page and are the same type as the narrative, making for a confusing read. I've experienced the same thing with other pictured e-books. Perhaps the editing hasn't caught up to the technology. Having said that, I think it is definitely a book worth owning.
on January 2, 2013
This book has gorgeous pictures and great information! I gave this as Christmas presents to family this year. It was a hit!
on July 29, 2016
Too specific to California.
on February 27, 2011
I love this book - it is well-written and informative, and alongside the beautiful photographs it serves to inspire those just discovering their love of gardening (like myself) as well as more experienced gardeners who can appreciate the author's point of view and the timely topic of sustainability.
on February 28, 2011
There are so many sources of this book's richness. One is how gentle
and personal and encouraging the voice is-- what a FRIEND
experience Stephen Orr creates with his reader. I immediately felt
welcomed into the world of this book, which has the double
seduction of being beautiful but at the same time not intimidating
in the way the gardens that magazines cover sometimes are. Orr's message
throughout is that this sort of beauty and wonder and wealth is there for
all of us if we want it, to the huge betterment of our lives. And his lessons
about how to make it happen are clear and easy to follow, while also emphasizing
the role each of our personal visions plays in the gardens we create.
The photos are gorgeous and again, so intensely personal. They
add another layer to the sense of entering into these places,
freely shared by people who seem to want us to be there with them.
I am so moved by my experience with this book. It's DIFFERENT. It's kind
and encouraging and intimate while completely respecting its readers as fellow travelers.
I found myself at times holding my breath as I read it.
on February 19, 2011
It is a nice book. A good book. Timely - with current information; dappled with some interesting stories. The photographs, while not remarkable, are plentiful. I just think it is cruel to design a book with the bulk of it's type tooooo small, and with serifs. Other, larger, sans serif type is thin white on a green background, and just as difficult to read. The book requires so much physical effort to explore, that I haven't much enthusiasm for it.