Check out Santa's new ride Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Albums PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Dot Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 27, 2014
My 2 year old grandson's favorite book. He wore on out and I had to order a second one. He can name every truck in the book and never gets tired of it.
on March 24, 2014
My boys could never get enough of truck books. I bought this when my first son was two and he would compare the pictures in this book to pictures in his other truck books and to his toy trucks.
on June 30, 2014
Pages started to come apart after opening to read. It was definitely not in almost perfect condition. Disappointed.
Patricia Relf, Tonka Big Book of Trucks (Cartwheel Books, 1996)

Points off: copyright information is not contained anywhere in the book; one must go to the Amazon page to get the book's release date.

I thought this one, which is quite oversized and over thirty pages, was going to be too long to hold the Bean's attention. But, at twenty-three months old, he remembered enough from night to night that we kept reading it, and it became the first multi-night book we read. Mostly because of the time investment involved—with his attention span, it usually takes us three or four nights to get through the entire book—it's not one that comes out too often, but we do read it on a sporadic basis (in fact, we're two nights into another reading of it as I write this, and he just passed twenty-five months). It's too bad about the lack of thought put into constructing the title page. While I know that's for parents and not for kids (not to mention for Cartwheel's legal department), it's still valuable information to have, and a lack of complete information there is something I do penalize books for. (I started this for quickie ebooks—I never thought I'd be doing it for “real” print releases, but it's become a regular thing since I started getting back into pre-lit with the Bean, sadly.) ***
on September 6, 2014
Even just a bit dated, this is worth buying for your collection because it's full of different trucks and active pictures and actually shows an even balance of genders, racial/ethnic identities, and body sizes. There's even an elderly woman driving a monster truck. As someone who looks for this in children's books constantly, I have rarely, rarely seen such diversity as this book displays as just a part of the work and life being depicted.
on September 16, 2001
This is my 2 y/o son's favorite book EVER! We have to read it every night and take it on all our overnight trips. Needless to say, even he has the text memorized. Yes, the Tonka logo shamelessly displayed on every truck is a bit much, but I've found this book to include the widest variety of trucks. These are displayed nicely in their appropriate "scenes", and the information on each truck's capabilities is a great learning tool. My son is so thrilled when we come across these machines at work in our day-to day life, and he couldn't wait to go to the State Fair. It's been the best money I've spent on a book for him yet, even though I wish we could skip it and perhaps read Stellaluna instead just one night.
on November 18, 2000
My in-laws gave this book to my 22-month-old son, who loves trucks, construction vehicles and machinery, and it became an instant favorite of his. They were a bit hesitant at first about buying the book because it's essentially a big commercial for Tonka products -- every truck and construction vehicle in the book (and there are many) has "TONKA" prominently written on it. That caveat aside, however, it _is_ a great book for kids who share my son's interests -- it shows the trucks in action and explains the name and uses of each. I also like the fact that it shows both women and men operating the trucks.
on January 30, 2000
My pre-schooler loves the illustrations and scope of the machines. But even he noticed that the equipment and illustrations in the farm section are incorrect --- a round baler doesn't make square bales; square bales are tied in the other direction; a self-propelled chopper is not used to put hay into windrows, nor is it a rake; and the machine used to load the hay -- well, we've never seen one used on a farm. Other section of the book are great. Obviously, the author and editor have never helped at haying time. I have a suggestion --- we're always short a few hands in June, and would be happy to provide some hands-on background.
on October 21, 2012
We have quite a few truck books and this is my son's favorite. I love it too, because it actually defines terms like asphalt and concrete, therefore building vocabulary. It's attractive, well-organized and a good addition to your transport-loving child's library. There's also an equally good sequel Trucks Night And Day (Tonka) from the same author and illustrator.
on October 20, 1998
I gave this book to my son when he turned 2. Fortunately it was the last thing he opened because he did not want to do anything but look at those trucks! He is now 3 1/2 and it is still a favorite book. The pictures are big and bright and there are many kinds of trucks to delight the children. The accompaning text may be a little more than a 2 year old needs, but it is nice to be able to grow with the book.