Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Tony Chachere's More Spice Seasoning (Single 7oz)
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ingrid Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

on May 12, 2011
There seems to be some confusion about the sodium content of this product. I've been on a sodium restricted diet before, so I know this stuff is important. Here's a brief rundown:

* Regular table salt has about 580 mg of sodium per 1/4 teaspoon. (Kosher salt and sea salt will have a little less, generally due to different shapes of the crystals).

* TONY CHACHERE'S ORIGINAL CREOLE SEASONING (not this product) is a blend of salt, pepper and Creole spices (particularly Cayenne pepper). It has 310 mg of sodium per 1/4 teaspoon. The label says "Use it like salt. When it's salty enough, it's seasoned to perfection." In other words, you don't take a salty food and dump Tony's seasoning all over it and then complain about the salt. You take a bland food, put Tony's seasoning on it and then enjoy your 'perfectly seasoned' (according to the manufacturer) food. Normally when you cook, you salt and pepper to taste. So you put in some salt, taste, maybe add some more salt. Then add pepper, taste and maybe add some more pepper. The manufacturer's claim as I understand it is that this product already has the perfect salt/pepper proportion, so all you have to do is add product, taste for salt, and then stop adding product when the salt level is to your liking.

* TONY CHACHERE'S MORE SPICE SEASONING (this product) cuts back slightly on the salt and adds lots more spice. This product contains 290 mg of sodium per 1/4 teaspoon. However, you generally use less than you would of the original, so in effect, you would be using less salt.

* TONY CHACHERE'S SALT FREE SEASONING (not this product) substitutes Potassium Chloride for salt. It has 0 mg of sodium per serving, and plenty of potassium. If you're sensitive to potassium or to chloride, then this product probably won't be any better for you than the regular stuff. If you're trying to cut down on salt, it might help. As with most potassium chloride products, it has a bit of a metallic taste to it that some people find off-putting. In my opinion, this product is best used by adding it to food during the cooking process, and maybe finishing off with some salt or salt blend after cooking.

* TONY CHACHERE'S LITE SEASONING (not this product) is similar to the Salt Free Seasoning, but it adds about 1/2 salt and about 1/2 potassium chloride. In my opinion, it tastes much, much better than the salt free variety. The actual salt in the product helps to reduce or even eliminate the metallic taste of the potassium chloride. This product has 110 mg of sodium per 1/4 teaspoon.

* TONY CHACHERE'S SPICE N HERBS SEASONING (not this product) is similar to the MORE SPICE product, with 280 mg of sodium per 1/4 teaspoon, except instead of adding an extra dose of hot pepper, they add things like garlic and Italian herbs. It's an excellent all-purpose seasoning for fish, chicken, tomato sauce and other savory dishes.

Anyway, I hope that helps. All of these are excellent seasonings, depending on your mood and the particular culinary application. This particular product is excellent in soups, stews, added to vegetables, added to eggs after cooking, and added to meats. It even goes well on some fruits such as watermelon, cantaloupe, papaya, etc.
on February 1, 2013
it's pretty much the best stuff out there, I add it to about everything to kick things up and add flavor to bland items... the chow in Afghanistan can get old and bland and this helps me get through 7 months of deployment
on March 17, 2016
Hmmm, if you haven't tried Tony's before... you must! Right now!

The spice is one I grew up with, and it absolutely goes with EVERYTHING. My mom made pasta dishes, chicken, steaks, roasts, etc etc etc with this my entire childhood, and everyone always was wowed by her "secret" ingredient. I have inherited that secret and continue to get the same satisfied ooo's and ahhh's from my guests.

Best part of the "more spice" version, is that it is much harder to ever over salt your dishes!

If you have tried Tony's, then you know why you are here... Enjoy!
on December 22, 2015
Best all purpose seasoning out there! I have been using the regular version for many years. I couldn't find it locally years ago and actually called the company (way before Amazon) and they were so great! I ordered a case (12 I think) and gave as gifts and used for years. Then I could find it locally and started buying locally. Now I can't find it again. I switched to the "More Spice" version so I can control the salt content. I LOVE this so much, I feel like I almost can't cook without it! When I run out I am using 5-6 spices to try to duplicate.
on November 18, 2009
We discovered this seasoning around 1999 when we moved to Pensacola. Hard to find in northern grocery stores but happy to see it available thru Amazon! Since moving back up north, every time we visit the south, we buy at least a half dozen cans of this stuff to hold us for a while ;-) Forget the regular version - you have to use "More Spice" to really get good seasoning without too much salt. Great on just about everything - meats, veggies, pizza, eggs, burgers, soups, and on and on (not sure about ice cream although I can't say I've tried it - yet ;-) If you're only going to have one seasoning on the table or by the stove, it's got to be Tony's More Spice!
Peace & blessings,
Donn
on December 10, 2012
i HAVE BEEN USING THIS SEASONING FOR ABOUT 35 YEARS, BUT IT IS NOT DISTRIBUTED IN MEXICO OR BRAZIL WHERE i HAVE LIVED FOR THE LAST 30 YEARS, AND EVERY TIME I WOULD GO TO THE USA, I COULD ONLY FIND A COUPLE, 1-3 CONTAINERS IN ANY SUPERMARKET I WENT TO, SEEMS THEY HAVE A DISTRIBUTION PROBLEM AND CANT KEEP IT ON THE SHELF. SO NOW I HAVE 12 LARGE CONTAINERS. WE USE IT MAINLY ON OUR POPCORN WHICH WE MICROWAVE DRY AND PUT OLIVE OIL AND TONY ON IT, TRY IT YOU WILL LIKE IT. ALSO USE IT ON ALL CRUSTACEANS AND FISH, DONT ADD ANY SALT TO THE FOOD, JUST TONY. DICK VOGT
on May 25, 2015
I was camping out in the Grand Teton National Park and the guy in the hiker-biker campsite next to me was a gourmet cook and generous with his talents. After leaving the Park, my next purchase was this product. I then bought more via Amazon for a friend. Turns any dish into a winner.
on August 16, 2008
A spicy blend of creole seasoning that can be used instead of salt on any meat, fish , poultry, vegetable, soup or starch. It livens up the dish like a Zydeco saturday night.
on August 12, 2016
This is good, but not as good as the original. I was excited to try this out, but when we bought it and tried it, there wasn't more heat as I expected, just tasted like we put a "lite" version of the original on the food. Don't get me wrong, it's still good, but not as good as the original and a waste of money compared to the original.
on February 4, 2015
Perfect amount of salt for the spice mixture. Don't prep with salt and you'll be fine. All I can get in my area is the "Tony's Lite" and really don't like the potassium aftertaste. Plan on using it as rib rub on the smoker as soon as the weather breaks. Maybe a couple dollars more than the store but when you want, amazon's got it.