Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Big & Rich PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 55 reviews
on January 6, 2016
Too Far is one of those books that I really don't know what to make of. Was it bad? Not necessarily--I wanted to know what would happen next, and the bizarre nature of the book certainly made things unexpected. But I couldn't help asking myself when I'd finished it--what was the point?

Shapero obviously had some statement he was trying to make about childhood and innocence, about right and wrong, and about how things change--people grow older, your imagination can become clouded by harsher realities, and sometimes things just don't turn out with a "happily ever after" the way they do in fairy tales. And I did feel like some moments seemed a bit "too old" for the characters--not because of the sexual nature, but because of the maturity level they showed... Children are children, regardless, and the characters' voices didn't sound so much like children as they did a romantic interpretation of nostalgic childhood in retrospect.

Perhaps this is one of those books that needs a re-read. Or three.

Certainly not a BAD book (written rather poetically, if a bit heavy-handed), but if you don't like the bizarre, this will not be your cup of tea.
VINE VOICEon March 18, 2013
This is a great story, moves fast, and would be interesting for middle grade readers and up. The only criticism I have is that the characters are supposedly really young - six or seven - but their actions, thoughts, and language are much older than their ages. I also caution that adults should read the story first because there are about three areas with heavy sexual overtones. One where the boy and girl discover their beginning sexual feelings, and the others are about the adults in the story. These are not extremely explicit, but the images and language are strong enough that some readers should not be exposed. So read before sharing with children.
on December 13, 2012
One thing that I learned in literature classes was the concept of 'suspension of disbelief' in oreder to enjoy a book. I was charmed and entertained by the authors use of how children come up with descriptive names for places (Too Far, Two-Tree, Used-to-be) and imagined entities (Dream Man, Shivers, etc.). However, I could not get past the idea of two children only six years old being allowed to roam the Alaskan wilderness around their parents cabins unsupervised. Maybe if they were described as a couple years older, but then the use of their imaginations would not have been as effective. Anyway, it was an interesting concept of exploring the thoughts of children.
on May 23, 2013
This review is for the Kindle edition ebook.

The world through the eyes of two six-year-olds, mostly.

This is the story of how two young children see the Alaska wilderness, while trying to cope with their parents.

The children in this story come from dysfunctional homes. Both are very young, and must learn to cope with parents not quite ready to handle raising children. While most of the story is as seen by young children, some of the words and descriptions seem way beyond their years.

The author is trying to help us view the world around us. For the most part, I think the characters in this story are too young for most adults to appreciate the beauty they see. Children view their world through rose colored glasses, and try to always see the good in everything and everyone. Most of the adults I know can not quite see that direction, and have difficulty when the children try to explain their views.

I really want to recommend this book to parents of young children, and grandparents of those young children. Take the time to see what the children see, and think about how they express themselves. This is not a simple book to read, as it seems at first.
on August 17, 2014
As this boy explores th ewilds beyond his back yard, the vivid verbal images help you remember the imagination you had when you were six.
on November 3, 2012
The author has the skills and imagination to be another Neil Gaiman - but his theme and perpective are lacking. The worst part of this book was the slimy feeling I felt after reading - extremely oversexualized 6 year olds with suggestive imaginings and words better suited to adolescents. all the adults in the book are two dimensional and not well characterized... the child subjects are well written but unrealistically obsessed with physical attraction, and philosophical reflection and comments completely unrealistic for a 6 year old. Change the protagonists to 12 year olds and it might have been better. And, as others have said, the ending is abrupt. Overall I wish I had not read this book - and I have said that about less than a dozen books in my lifetime. The adult thoughts from the 'mouths of babes' were unpleasant.
on November 30, 2012
Well written, very creative. The novel is from a chld's point of view and sent me back to my own childhood with similar explorations. Impressed by the quality of the writing.
on December 5, 2012
A wonderful book about childhood relationships and children's imaginations. How do children deal with the wonders and problems of life? This worked for me.
on January 2, 2013
I loved everything in this sad and joy filled story. The dreams and hope that was born from loneliness. The dreams lost to truth
on November 28, 2012
I didn't get this book at all. I think the premise is too little kids that are escaping reality but????????