Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pro Tools 10- Professional audio recording and music creation software
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

on September 20, 2012
The software is great. However, I believe that giving PAYING customers the best experience possible is the first and foremost responsibility of any company. By first and foremost, of course I mean even before protecting your software from theft.

I had zero problems getting my product key registered on the AVID site, but iLok company is worthless. I haven't been able to get my iLok registered, and after poking around their website, I have come to find that not only does their website does not support Chrome, which was the only browser I had installed when I purchased this program, but the versions of FireFox and Internet Explorer that it does support are AT LEAST 2 versions behind. I am not talking small updates, but the major updates. Internet Explorer 5 is the most recent version of internet explorer that is officially supported, but the version that installed itself on my computer when I re-enabled it in windows services is 9. They are 4 versions behind on Internet Explorer support? Really? What does this company DO?

Because of this version issue, I believe, I have been unable to add my iLok to my iLok account, and can therefore not use the software even though I have a perfectly legitimate, PURCHASED serial registered without problem on the AVID site.

Ditch iLok, or at least make it optional. They are going to cost you paying customers.
33 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I'm not a fan of bad reviews but I couldn't get this to work on my iMac 27inch with Mountain Lion. It took my computer overnight to upload the entire program which I thought was odd but it did take that long (about 6 hours). You get a little usb flash card that must be in your computer for the thing to work. So after the installation I go to register and I'm asked for a RELEASE number that they show is supposed to be located on my card and it wasn't and the screen wouldn't go away until it was entered. I wrote tech support and got a fast reply "You're already registered" hmmm??

Oh well, next I discover that there is an update available and it is recommended that I upgrade before using. So I download the upgrade (and it was so unclear what program I was to download - and I'm not a tech genius but no slouch and it baffled me). I called tech support to make sure I Downloaded the file (getting tech support means having the right code to enter when you call or else you have to go buy it). Finally, confirmed I had the right file and after two hours of download time, it says "upgrade failed."

I tried this a gazillion times (yes slight exaggeration) but I did spend hours researching and others were having the same problem. I sent in a ticket and by the time I got a response for no apparent reason the upgrade took!

Wow. Okay, I go to start my first project and I get an error: could not create a new document because Assertion in "/Volumes/Developement/ws.protools_10.3.2/AlturaPorts/DFW/Macbuild?..?Views/Umenu.MacOS.mm", line 1351" WTF!! I call back Tech Support and they ask if they could remote control my computer...after and Hour- NADA! Tech support says, " you need to call APPLE to see if they have a fix!! REALLY! You're willing to send me on THAT! I agreed, hung up and wrote Amazon for a refund. Everyone I talked to Loves Protools and I'm SURE it's an awesome product but do a little research first and see if you see the kind of complaints I had.
on August 24, 2013
I've been doing sound recording and production for over a decade, but I just made the jump to Pro Tools.

On the pro side:

- the sound is absolutely gorgeous; I've been using 48 KHz and 24 bit depth, and even quite recordings give me enough depth for beautiful sound
- the package is hardware independent; I am using a high end desktop to run it though (an HP Z800 series with Avid Mbox)
- the included tools/plug-ins are fantastic, both useful and great sound quality
- my Native Instrument and other third party Midi instruments work very well and have had no crashes to date (over a year of use)
- Pro Tools fully utilizes the capabilities of my DAW (I have one track that is five hours long, recorded in HiDef, and none of my other packages can even load it, let alone process it)
- there is a hugely active and helpful community of users

On the Con side:

- rendering is typically at 1:1 speed; one of the plug-ins supposedly allows you to do faster tends, but if so then it is beyond me
- Pro Tools uses proprietary plug-in formats, and my large collection of VSTs will not work with it
- it only works on high end machines with specific soundcards
- the documentation is great, but it did take some time to learn the basics

Pro Tools 10 is a solid 4/5 product for me, and I highly recommend it for those wanting to up the quality of their productions.

In service,

Rich
on August 1, 2013
There was no CODE enclosed in the box. I have spent literally HOURS, staying on the phone with Avid techs. Today, he finally figured out how to work around this issue. So aggrivating -- spending over $600 on something that should basically install itself.
on April 5, 2014
Buy this and you can not upgrade to Mac OS 10.9. You will be stuck in 10.8.
Avid doesn't provide any further support for this product and their software "update" from ProTools 10.3.8 is to purchase ProTools 11 at full price. Wow, thanks a lot Avid. You sure know how to show support for existing customers don't you.

It's reasonable to assume that PT11 will have upcoming problems too, but don't worry I'm sure PT13 for another $600 isn't too far behind.

Looking into other interfaces and software now.
on February 4, 2013
I am a pretty standard home studio operator. I have had a home studio for years, so i am comfortable with many programs, but i don’t know near as much about the intricacies of the software programs as my friends in professional recording do. I recently made some serious upgrades to my studio and decided to pick up ProTools based on the recommendation of a friend who is successful in the “industry”. I don’t regret my purchase, I got a great deal on Amazon and ProTools preforms every bit as good as I had hoped it would. This software is a GIANT like others have mentioned, but it is not near as intuitive as other modern DAW’s, which means the newbie is going to need to expect to take more time to learn how to navigate and operate the program. Luckily Avid’s customer support seems pretty awesome, and after some minor complications (tip, Window’s users, be sure to update your Quicktime) I was able to get everything working great. The ilok system will be confusing to those who have never used it before, but once you get it set up, you pretty much forget about it. Other than the initial setup and the learning curve, this program is incredible and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade their home studio.
on December 22, 2012
I have experience with a few different DAW's (Sonar, Reaper, and even Ableton - although that's a bit of a different system) and Pro Tools outshines them all as far as mixing and editing capabilities. The new features in Pro Tools 10, notably clip gain and 32-bit float are great for anyone upgrading from Pro Tools 9. For these two features alone, I'd say it's worth the cross grade - especially if you're working in a professional studio. Be forewarned though, Pro Tools is not without its flaws. It is well known to those that use the software that errors occur frequently; both during recording and playback - even when running the program on a Mac (recommended) and with more than double the recommended RAM. These errors freeze the system, and if recording, you will likely lose the track.

The bottom line is, while Pro Tools 10 is probably the highest quality system out there, there are others that operate more smoothly and with less errors. I will not endorse these, as I am and have been a faithful Pro Tools user for many years now, mainly because I'm comfortable with the interface. The aforementioned errors have lessened in Pro Tools 10, but Avid should've provided a solid fix via update(s). by now.
on October 13, 2012
I was forced into changing my DAW software when Adobe started changing the integrity and usability for their Audition product. I had used this software for years going all the way back to the Syntrillium Cool Edit days. Since Audobe left the Music production folks standing in the cold with their recent upgrades, I knew that it was time to abandon ship. When I did my research, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Pro Tools 10 was now adoptable to and usable with a wider variety of non-proprietary hardware and sound interfaces. After reading and watching many reviews, I decided to finally make the switch.

The installation was very straight forwarwad and I had no issues with the iLok key. Since I already owned studio equipment and recording hardware, I used the recomended setup guide available on the Avid website to tune and optimize my Windows 7 PC before loading Pro Tools 10. This software seems to run just fine on my Dell Optiplex 755 with 4 GB of RAM.

I was at first very overwhelmed by the way Pro Tools was laid out as this was a whole new learning experience. I purchased a book called "Pro Tools 10 Power!" along with the software which I also highly recomend. After several days of experimenting and playing I was finally able to feel better about the logic and feel of the program. Although recording and editing principles are all pretty much the same, I did find that Pro Tools was the better software for catering to the Music Production audience. After recording some practice takes with acoustic guitar, electric guitar, piano and vocals I was really impressed with the sound quality with PT10. The provided real time plug-ins were really much better than what I was used to in Audition and not having to toggle between multi-track and edit mode was an added bonus. The whole non-destructive recording and mixdown process makes more sense to me. The clip gain and mix automation tools are really nice and the mix window and views are much better and more intuitive than Audition.

The bottom line is that I am done with Adobe Audition. Pro Tools is now my DAW software of choice moving forward. I am excited about what the future holds for this product. There will likely be some software total re-writes ahead in preparation for the 64 bit world but I have more confidence in Avid than I did with Adobe. There is a reason that Pro Tools is the industry standard and is the benchmark for which all other DAW software is judged. I already feel a newly found level of creativity and inspiration with Pro Tools 10. If you are in the market for a quality and professional music production software, PT10 is the one.

I do feel that it is worth mentioning that PT10 does take some computer muscle to run. You have to be on Windows 7 if you use a PC and the more RAM and CPU power you have the better your performance will be. It is also important to know that there are a myriad of after market and third party plugins available for PT10, but some of these are very expensive and require allot of CPU overhead. Getting over the initial cost of PT10 versus other competitive software may be hard to stomach for some, but in the end you do get what you pay for. Avid does a pretty good job supporting their products as I have also been using Sibelius for many years now. No software is perfect and PT10 certainly isn't, but I am much better off on this platform than I was before.
on January 10, 2014
This is an activation code, that's all. You need to log into Avid's site to find out what version of pro tools is being activated, and it's not 10, it's 11. I bought this on amazon instead of from Avid precisely because I needed version 10 to avoid having to upgrade my OS (11 is not supported on snow leopard). So, instead, I needed to upgrade my OS to mavericks, which predictably broke several key software components, including my M-Audio drivers. The seller informed me that he would refund $35.00 for my troubles, but the time I'm having to spend to fix this mess and the lost productivity are far more costly to me than $35.00. Still, I appreciate the gesture, but WTF. They should not advertise this as Pro Tools 10 if they are not specifically selling that product.
on May 20, 2015
This version is incompatible with Yosemite - not because it doesn't work (I had a mostly-functional version that remained so when I upgraded to Yosemite) but because Avid refuses to issue compatibility upgrades. Meanwhile, upgrades are expensive and don't add much to the functionality of the program, especially if you're used to the way you've been working already. If you are a student or eligible for some other kind of discount, good luck - AVID is a bureaucratic nightmare and navigating their labyrinthine registration system is a huge complicated mess.