Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,359 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,952 reviews
TOP 100 REVIEWERon April 7, 2016
I remember my father taking me to see Top Gun in the theater 30 years ago. It was awesome. I mean fighter jets shooting at each other with missiles? Hello!!!

I didn't much care if Tom Cruise was able to woo Kelly McGillis or not when I was a youngster. I just wanted to see jets. But as I've gotten older the love story, melodramatic as it may be, is far more interesting to me than it was as a kid. So the movie has actually gotten more interesting to me over time. And of course there are still jets. And missiles! You really can't go wrong.

I watch this at least once a year and it never gets old.

My kids are still too young to watch Top Gun, but I will show it to them one day. Though I wonder if it will be hard to explain to a kid born well after the end of the Cold War exactly why Maverick is out to get those Russians so badly.

The whole movie is just so well made. If you have the DVD you should actually watch the special features. It's one of those rare films where the special features are actually worth watching. There is a 'making of' feature that shows how much effort went into filming this. There's no CGI. This was the 80's. These are real F-14 Tomcats flying around in this movie.

Is this movie realistic from a plot standpoint? Not even a tiny little bit. But who cares?! The movie it fantastic.

It's also worth noting that Top Gun introduced me, as a young man, to the awesomeness of the Ritcheous Brothers.
on June 5, 2013
Top Gun is still a great move even though it was produced in the 80’s. It might seem like a dated move, however the fighter combat Tactics have not changed. The aerial visuals Action in the film is among the best capture to date. The look and feel of the then and still high performance F-14, with its great photogenic qualities; look better than Tom Cruise. Aside from the action in this film, the friendship, and love story are not bad for a movie of this type. The talent of the actors helps to bring this part of the move to light. It’s a great movie and probably will become a classic in the mean time it’s a great film to watch over and over.
Now for the technical aspect of the movie, First of just running it through a Blu-ray player and running it through a true home theater do make some differences as well as running it trough different brands of Blu-Ray players
Starting with sound if you just pop it into a Blu-ray player and us the TV speaks the sound is all right. Ran it through Yamaha home theater and the sound improved. I’m sure it is true for other brands as well. The standard edition DVD and even a VHS copy lets loose with crushing bass that can be felt as much as heard through an older 5.1 w/subwoofer system. If you jack the sound all the way up you can feel the general sounds of an F-14 carrier take off and flight. The sound technicians could have done a better job for this release.
The problems start coming up when you go to Blu-ray 3D, some scenes are grainy especially the opening scene on the carrier flight deck as well as low light sequences, this is regardless of Flat screens TV used. The most graininess was on my Seki TV, which is my cheapest flat screen in the house.
Final thoughts if you have the DVD the 3D Blu-ray is not worth getting!
on May 14, 2017
Amazon download, excellent. Easy purchase. Delivered almost instantly. Wonderful. Top Gun's got pretty much all I need in a feel good movie. Aerial dog fights, action, tension, Kelly McGillis rinse and repeat, through in a couple of "I can't believe you did that's", good sound track. Okay maybe there are tech errors but this movie always gets me pumped. If you haven't seen it, "feel the need, the need for speed..."
on February 25, 2014
I am new to 3D movies so I didn't know there was difference....I thought 3D was 3D. I asked my son what he wanted for Christmas and he said "For Top Gun to be 3D". So I found this and gave it to him for Christmas. He likes it but he explained to me that there are very little 3D effects (and not that good) because Top Gun was NOT MADE FOR 3D. I guess what they do is try their best to create 3D effects in a movie that was not made with 3D in mind. Now I'm bummed. I guess I will have to be more careful when buying 3D movies to make sure they are MADE FOR 3D.

And yes, if you are wondering, he has a top of the line 3D TV and 3D Blu-ray player which work AWESOME with MADE FOR 3D movies.

So the movie itself should have gotten FIVE STARS.....the 3D effects should have gotten THREE STARS....hence the rating of FOUR STARS.
on July 21, 2014
I love Top Gun, have loved it for years. I have never seen a movie put into 3D after the fact that I liked, but I just recently got a new 3D Blu-ray player and decided "Why not?". Top Gun in 3D is an excellent experience. They 3D'd the CRAP out of that movie. Thank you CGI for making everything 3D compatible. The movie, as always, is good. The thing that makes it so much better for me is the crisp and rocking score that accompanied the original movie. (I've had the soundtrack longer than I've had the movie on VHS) Blu-ray quality sound is amazing coming from this disc. 3D is definitely worth it if you're interested.
on April 25, 2016
Classic cinema! Saw this at theater when it first came out and bought myself a Kawasaki Ninja motorcycle! Been riding ever since. There are so many great quotable lines and references to real life lessons in this film. I have mentored a few young military officers and always tried to tie a life lesson into Top Gun, usually for laugh, but often times it actually nailed the reference. It's a great story with fantastic characters and excellent performances. Sure, there's a little cheese, but it has really stood the test of time for me. Even the soundtrack is timeless.

A Danish Army friend of mine once told me that they had "Top Gun Watch Parties" in the dormitories when he was a younger troop. They would wear flight suits, simulate flying with Maverick and Goose with their computer flight stick controllers, stand upside down in their chairs during the inverted scene, stand and sing along with Maverick during "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" and toss their dogtags at the screen when Mav tosses them into the ocean. Kind of like Rocky Horror, but with Top Gun.

If you've never seen it, cook up some popcorn, put on your G-suit and strap in for a great thrill ride! If you have already seen it, watch it again!
on April 2, 2016
"Top Gun" ranks high among the best military aviation films ever produced, holding its own against "Iron Eagle," another five-star film also released in 1986. Its copious presentation of high-powered aircraft and honest portrayal of the US Navy of the time provide the backdrop for human-centered drama focused on the relationships between flight crew members and the sometimes-harsh realities of their romantic relationships with women.
on April 2, 2013
I got this for 19.99 ordering before the release date and could not be happier. It can't quite match the IMAX 3D experience but I certainly didn't expect it to. That's not to say the 3D doesn't look great though. Not as much depth as modern 3D movies, but the Aerial combat scenes definitely benefit from the 3D transition. One thing to note is that the 2D version is not a remastered version of the film as well. It's the 2D version that has been out for quite a while. Still looks great but it would have been nice to have a new 2D remaster as well. Children of the eighties unite....buy this movie : )
on January 6, 2016
"So you're the one"
"Yes Ma'am"

No, that isn't a shiver you felt just now. That is a shot of pure awesomeness that can only be injected on by this epic 1986 classic. If you grew up on the adrenaline fueled magic of Maverick and Goose then you should buy this now. Seriously, why are you still reading this? Sure, the blu-ray edition is cleaner and prettier than the dvd but that doesn't matter because Iceman is in here and he wants to show you some awesome naval fighter jet footage.

You're still reading... I don't know what else to tell you. It's everything you remember from watching in your mom's basement with your sixth grade best friend. So go buy the movie. Yes, replace your old dvd or god forbid VHS. Bring this movie back to the front of your viewing library and share the awesomeness with whatever loved one will indulge you but will also never appreciate it on your level. Do it now. Go ballistic, buzz the tower, buy the movie.
on May 6, 2016
i got the movie for the 3D effect.
I have to say, that it does look a little different, but its not such a big change that it makes the movie look even better.
I would give the 3D 3 stars only, but the movie is such a classic that, i have to give it 4.