Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Kidz Bop All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon startrek startrek startrek  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on June 6, 2012
I bought this for my carbon bike so I could do a little camping and it works great. I can't afford a whole new bike for this purpose so I was using my road bike and I wanted it to be easily removable since this is an occasional event. With that in mind, it works great.

The only issue I had is that when fully loaded (20lb) with the mtx bag and panniers, and because there is no connection to the seat stays or the chain stays, there is a lot of wobble when you get up out of the saddle. In fact, anything over 5 mph is really almost impossible. I did 6000 ft. of climbing and couldn't get up out of the saddle even once without wobbling. I might try using velcro straps to the chain stays next time to reduce the lateral sway, but I doubt it will work. The rack doesn't swing back and forth, it's very well connected to the seat post, but the lateral flexing under load is very pronounced.

If you plan on doing hardcore camping I'd get the pannier rack that mounts to the frame if you can. If you are a commuter, this is probably going to be just fine.

I'm very happy with the product, and had a great time camping!
on November 9, 2015
I've bought two of these so far and I'll buy another if this one breaks, too. I put my rack through a fair bit of abuse so I know it's not going to last forever but it works really well until then. I use this with the Topeak Pannier Frame that goes with it and saddlebags. It swings back and forth a bit and can rub the tire when not centered but it's designed for bikes with rear suspension that can't be mounted to multiple points so it's a fair trade off.
on November 5, 2017
Works great for my Sondors bike. With one of the Topeaks bags, it's very functional. Perfect if you aren't planning on putting more than 20 pounds on the rack.
on January 31, 2015
I bought this and the Topeak MTX/DXP trunk bag. It was for my son because he really liked the one I had. The bag is very nice but slightly different than my old one (two years older I think), which had a nice map storage section on the very top with pen holder and some addl pockets. The new one that I bought for my son doesn't have this and I was a little disappointed. The beam rack is great though. Clamps to the seat post with custom rubber pads for different size seat posts. Its made to accept the MTX trunk bag... it slides on and is held in place by a nice catch. I give the rack a 5, and the bag a 4.5 since it seems to have less features than the previous model.
on July 31, 2016
Really liked the rack, does not come with the pannier frame as the one picture showed. And no where on the listing did it say one way or the other if they were included or sold separately. Even the suggest purchase items with this rack suggested the bag that had the panniers, which you need the frames to mount them to. Would have given 5 starts if product was listed properly, other than like really like the rack, sturdy and holds up well on bumpy stretches.
on January 5, 2018
Very nice rack. Fits great on my oversized and long suspension travel eMTB.
on October 30, 2017
We used this rack for the first time this past weekend on our first overnight bikepacking trip and it worked great. It easily held our tent and a few other items. It didn't bounce around any. It was easy to put on and take off. We have no complaints.
on September 28, 2009
My bike will not accomodate a regular rack so my options are limited. Sure, I could rig something up with stay clamps, but when I don't need the rack it would be a pain to take off.

This rack gets the job done, plus it's so easy to install/remove...quick release! The rack does have a tendancy to shift, but to alleviate this I recommend whipping off your seat post with alcohol to remove any grease/dirt to ensure a good seal, it will help cut down on lateral movement of the rack.

If you're just using the trunk bag without panniers you don't have much to worry about if the rack shifts a little to one side or the other. If you're going to use the pannier bags you'll want to get the pannier adapter kit to keep the bags out of your spokes. This is when the rack shift can cause a problem and cause the pannier adapter to rub on your back wheel.

I did a 332 mile ride in 5 days and only had to adjust the rack a few times because it shifted. I road in solid rain for two days and I think that helped the rack slide more so than it would have if I had been riding in dry conditions. I was able to nudge the rack back into position with my foot while riding so it wasn't too much of an inconvenience.

I'd give it 4 1/2 stars if it were an option just for the fact that the rack is prone to shifting when fully loaded...but it is what it is. Just keep in mind to make sure your seat post is free of dust & grease and it should minimize any sideways movement.

Updated: 6/17/15:

I did another 372 mile bike trip...Same trip in reverse. I opted to go with another Topeak rack given the lateral movement I mentioned in my initial review. I've attached a pic with the QR Beam Rack MTX in the background.
review image
on May 13, 2011
I actually have a larger frame road bike and had the explorer rack mounted. It worked, but I had two major problems with it. 1) I have larger feet, and with the side bags open, when I pedal, my heals would hit the bags. 2) My bike rack (on my vehicle) did not close correctly, the explorer rack was in the way. I looked at this very closely, and decided to buy the E type instead of the V type, just for the extra height, so when I have the MTX bag on the mount I have plenty of clearance.

Keep in mind I have a road bike, and will not be carrying a lot of weight in the bag. Plus, I am a larger guy (6'4"), and feel I have no need to worry about bike feeling "top heavy".

This fit the bill just perfect. It has the quick release, so I can remove it when not needed. With the MTX bag installed in the mount, the bag location is directly behind my seat, which gives me plenty of clearance to pedal, and no problems with my bike rack closing properly.

I would highly recommend it. Just know that the recommendations are: A type - Smaller bike frames, E type - Average bike frame, V type - Larger bike frame. I say this because not everyone will be trying to solve the same problems I had.
on December 4, 2013
I ordered a Topeak QR Beam Rack (Type E) and installed it back in June 2013 to a Giant Roam 2 (2010). Unfortunately it snapped in half recently at the welding seam where the seatpost clamp is welded to rack. It snapped when I placed my bike on the ground after taking it off a wall bike hook in my garage. The rack had nowhere near the 20lbs weight limit. It held a Topeak MTX Trunk Bag, multi bike tool, spare bike tire (deflated), and bike lock.

I filed a complaint with Topeak but they said a refund needs to be handled through Amazon.com/the seller, which I'm waiting to hear about. Topeak did offer to send a replace but I'm not interested since I guessing all of them have this defective welding, which is normally stronger than the material itself.