Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 114 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 155 reviews
on October 1, 2016
A little one of my acquaintance checked this book out from the library, and liked it so much she wanted her own copy. I obliged.

I won't recount the story, which is well covered in the book description. (This is a short children's book, after all.)

While I wasn't happy to see the bear portrayed as a lazy layabout, I thought it was a cute book. Some have criticized it as glorifying the hare for tricking the bear. But the world is full of tricksters, and another message is that you should understand a deal before you agree to it. The hare and his family worked hard. And so, eventually, did the bear.

So chill and have some fun with this book.
on April 26, 2016
We used this book as a springboard for education about Michigan's vegetable farmers at our corn maze last year. Teachers loved the book, many had used it for years to teach 4-8 year olds about crops growing on top, in the middle and on the bottom of a plant. We had stations throughout our maze with veggie information. Young visitors had a card with a game to do as they found the stations, so when they emerged from the maze their field trip was both aMAZEingly fun, as well as meeting science and nutrition curriculum goals.
on May 14, 2017
My kindergarteners enjoyed this book. They learned A LOT about how vegetables grow
on March 1, 2017
cute story for younger children. (K-2nd grade) explaining how we eat the roots of plants sometimes, and sometimes we eat the tops, and sometimes we eat the middle!
on August 16, 2017
Very engaging book for learning about plants and how they grow.
on July 22, 2017
I love this book. I read it to my preschool class every year. I needed a new copy. The one at school is missing. I can't go a year without reading it to my class
on July 12, 2017
My students adored this story!
on May 31, 2016
This is a great book to teach diligence. I read it to my kids when they were little, now I bought it for my classroom. Came in great condition.
on November 4, 2014
This is a very nice book in an unusual format. It opens from the bottom rather than from the side. It's sort of a take-off from the old story of the Little Red Hen, and has an excellent, gently-told moral that is easy for children to understand. The illustrations are excellent. Our little boy really likes it.
on September 17, 2012
This is my favorite children's book. The artwork is beautiful, hence the Caldecott Award.

The story is about poor Rabbit who is struggling to care for his family while his lazy neighbor Bear is sitting on an empty plot of farm land. Rabbit makes a deal with Bear that if Bear let's him plant on the farm he will split all the crops in half and Bear wouldn't have to do any of the work. Three times they make this deal and each time Rabbit takes the good half of the crop leaving the inedible parts to Bear. This book is a lesson that teaches you need to work for what you want and cleverness and hard work pays off.