- Actors: Spencer Tracy, Hedy Lamarr, John Garfield, Frank Morgan, Akim Tamiroff
- Directors: Victor Fleming
- Writers: Benjamin Glazer, John Lee Mahin, John Steinbeck, Paul Osborn
- Producers: Sam Zimbalist
- Format: Black & White, Closed-captioned, NTSC
- Language: English, Spanish
- Rated: Not RatedNR
- Number of tapes: 1
- Studio: MGM (Warner)
- VHS Release Date: September 1, 1998
- Run Time: 105 minutes
- Average Customer Review: 3.9 out of 5 stars See all reviews (39 customer reviews)
- ASIN: 6302308542
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #219,846 in Movies & TV (See Top 100 in Movies & TV)
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
Tortilla Flat [VHS]
Top Customer Reviews
Victor Fleming's direction ("Gone With the Wind", "The Wizard of Oz") is truly fashioned in its true existential film about the life of the "paisanos" and Hedy Lammar's performance as "Sweets" Ramirez is her best. See this movie.
This is a story about the Paisanos of Monterey, told through three friends, Pilon, Danny, and the Pirate, all who live a carefree life of drinking and parties until Danny's life takes a surprising turn when he inherits two houses making him "A man of property". Danny soon meets a cannery worker named "Sweets", played to the hilt by the historically beautiful Hedy Lamarr. The tension between Garfield and Lamarr is at its best as they both fight the attraction they feel for each other. This little known gem is definately worth adding to a classics collection.
and Lamarr; it seems nothing is going on while you're watching and have fun. Wonderful direction by Victor Fleming
(Gone with the Wind) and a cast in top form.
Pro Fleming does his best, and it's interesting to see him working on a lower budget than usual. The cheapo studio backgrounds really take the viewer out of the scenes in which they are utilizing (the background painting of the town early on wouldn't pass muster in a college art class). Clearly, despite the cast, crew, and source material, MGM was saving money right and left on this one. A few second-unit shots from up Monterey way would have greatly helped the film's verissimilitude.
That said, everyone tries their damndest, Frank Morgan is great, and Hedy Lamarr steals the film, even from Tracy (no small feat).
Some characters come across much stronger than others and tend to carry the motion picture forward. Overall, it is not five star, but is worth watching. It was filmed in black and white without the benefit of modern special effects
For a more recent story about a moocher, there is Bosco Dorff in "Murder...Suicide...Whatever."
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Love the story & the actors whom none are any lightweights either. Frank Morgan can do no bad acting it isn't in his blood. Read morePublished 4 months ago by Imre Demech
One of the best adaptations of a book put to screen that exists. Steinbeck's colorful characters come to life in glorious black & white. Read morePublished 5 months ago by The Film Wolf
Part of my collection. The characterization of the Mexican characters does not in the least offend me. Read morePublished 14 months ago by Amazon Customer
Got this for my Grandpa (who loves VHS tapes and old movies). It worked great and the movie itself is very good!Published 15 months ago by Magica Luv
Bought this for my father-in-law. He loved it. It worked great.Published 19 months ago by Jeanne Bowden
Excellent movie and set. My younger children even were surprised that they liked the movie.Published 19 months ago by Cowboybob
This is one movie you DO NOT want to see. Yes, I know, Spencer Tracy is the draw here. Also, the rest of the cast is made up of legendary actors and actresses from the golden age... Read morePublished 22 months ago by Tony D.
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Romance
- Movies & TV > MGM Home Entertainment > All MGM Titles
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > MGM Home Entertainment > All MGM Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Drama