Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 45 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 84 reviews
HALL OF FAMEon March 24, 2009
I have three lesser-capacity drives from this model line and have used them for a while and they have worked flawlessly, as hard drives should. I bought two 500GB ones to add to my backup set.

These iPod Touch-look-alike pocket drives are lightweight and give you good speed for a drive this size (hint: don't expect 7,200RPM!). The built-in shock absorber helps protect the data. The drives are quiet and stay cool even after extended use.

One great thing about these Toshiba drives is they come formatted as FAT -- at least it's a great thing for PS3 owners, anyway. PS3 can only recognize FAT or FAT32 external drives, and formatting a driver bigger than 32GB in the FAT or FAT32 format requires a third-party program like the freeware Easeus Partition Manager (available at download. com), so these Tosh drives can be used readily with the PS3.

To convert to the NTFS format so you can store big files (i.e., >4GB), simply go to the DOS prompt via the "cmd" command (from Run or Search), then type "convert g: /fs:ntfs" where g: is your Tosh drive letter. All existing files are preserved.

As explained on the back of the packaging, Windows reports the drive's total capacity as 465GB, not 500GB, due to the different definitions of what 1 GB actually is.

Great pocketable external drive, for PCs and PS3s.
on May 1, 2011
Great portable hard drive with ample space.
Used it simultaneously on both my MAC AND PC with no problems on a very regular basis.
The only gripe I had with this and with most of my externals is when I try to remove hardware from the PC, it takes a few tries before it shuts off and gives me the error that it is still running even when I have no files open. This does not seem to happen when its plugged into a MAC.
After a year of easy use and service, I plugged the drive in and it was dead.
I dont feel completely comfortable buying another Toshiba external at this point in time.

I am now using a New Seagate Freeagent Goflex Pro Stad750101 750 Gb External Hard Drive Usb 2.0 2.5inch. The version I have is the 500gb and it has been working wonderfully for its 8th month now. I absolutely love and appreciate the dock as it keeps it secure and in place.
on March 20, 2009
I researched many portable hard drives before deciding on this one. I wanted one with a 500GB or larger capacity, and one that was not the size of a Kia. The Toshiba is slightly larger than an IPhone. I also liked the fact that this model runs solely off of the USB power; no extra power cord necessary, which is a must for people who travel. I have found, as other reviewers have, that this unit is reliable, quiet, and easy to use. The proprietary backup software is handy, but not necessary. Toshiba has done well. Sure, you can get a cheap Terabyte unit for $75 more, but you'll need a separate backpack and power source to use it.

Update: After using this for quite a while, it still works great. I have not had any of the issues that other reviewers have had. Keep in mind that, unlike thumb drives which are solid state drives (no moving parts), this is a standard hard disk drive, in a compact package. It has a disk that spins, just like your computer hard drive. If you drop it, or expose it to extreme temperatures, you can damage the drive, and negatively affect it's performance.
on April 10, 2012
I've purchased two of these 500 gigs drives almost 2 years ago. Kept the first one, which is still running flawlessly even though it spent the past 6 months being carried in a backpack with no case or any other protection.
The second one was a gift for my brother and it showed some physical issues after 5-6 months of use (no software would repair it, and the clanky noise is there). The drive is still accesible but some sectors are beyond recovery and I wouldn't store any sensitive data since I'm not into S&M.
The drive seems to be very reliable unless you get a lemon, which appears to be my case. Wouldn't know how good Toshiba's QC is and it would be unfair to judge it based on only 2 items but I won't trust it again, based on this experience. Just my 2 cents.
on March 19, 2009
I just bought this pure USB (no power block required) 500MB drive for the convenience and portability. I plugged it in and it worked. No problem powering it from a single USB port on my older Lenovo R60 Windows XP Pro laptop. No noise at all. I haven't reformatted it, don't use the included software, and am not obsessing about capacity or transfer rates. The very short USB cable provided works great with a laptop but might be inconvenient or unworkable with a desktop. I don't know if there would be power or data transfer issues using the drive with a long USB cable.

It was a tossup between Western Digital Passport and the Toshiba - I picked the Toshiba to save a couple bucks, because it has rubber feet, and because Toshiba has also been a reliable manufacturer for a lot of years. So far it is just what I wanted.
on February 23, 2009
I actually bought this for my Toshiba Satellite A215 notebook, plugged it, and started using it. So far, I haven't had any problems. There's even a little icon in the taskbar which you click to quickly (and safely) remove this hardware if you want to disconnect it without damaging any files. Click it, wait 2 seconds and it's done. And the hard drive is so tiny, it's about the size of a 3 x 5 index card and 5/8" inch thick. I just tape it sometimes on the back of my laptop when my rambunctious 5-yr old is using the computer to make sure he doesn't accidentally kick the hard drive accross the room. It is so small, it stays put even when he moves the laptop around.
on April 20, 2009
I have been using this for a month now and its flawless yet. Its small enough to fit in your pocket etc. The only problem is that the USB cable is short and if you have to move your laptop even an inch, it is either dragged or hangs. This is especially disturbing if you want to use it while traveling etc because you can not keep it fixed at some place around. Overall, its a fine product and is extremely useful considering its size and its ability to run on USB power rather than requiring any external one. On another note, you will not get a full 500GB space on that. It will give you some where around 460GB.
on November 8, 2015
Works well enough (owned for 3 yrs and counting). Be careful of the connection point between the cable and the hard drive. It is somewhat weak and finicky. Good value for what I payed for it.
on April 9, 2009
So far this 500GB hard drive does everything I need it to do and is very easy to use. Have used it on several different computers with both Vista and XP with no problems. Hard drive was detected and setup for use quickly with no need to install any additional software. Only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is the very short USB cord that Toshiba provides. It is only about 12" long. Another foot or two in length would have been nice. If you're looking for a easy to use, portable hard drive, give the Toshiba a look.
on April 28, 2010
I have only good things to say i have been using this product for about 5 months and i must say its very reliable i use it as a backup hdd to my laptop and when not used as a backup i plug it into my western digital media player to watch movies, listen to music and pictures on my TV at home. NO SOFTWARE REQUIRED!!!!!!!!!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.