|Item model number||HDTC940XK3CA|
|Item Weight||7.4 ounces|
|Product Dimensions||4.3 x 3.1 x 0.77 inches|
|Item Dimensions L x W x H||4.3 x 3.1 x 0.77 inches|
|Flash Memory Size||4 Unknown modifier|
|Hard Drive Interface||Serial ATA|
|Hard Drive Rotational Speed||2 RPM|
|Batteries||1 Lithium ion batteries required.|
Toshiba (HDTC940XK3CA) Canvio Advance 4TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0, Black
- Make sure this fits by entering your model number.
- Compact design with four vibrant color options to fit your lifestyle
- Up to 4TB of storage capacity to store your growing files and content
- Toshiba storage backup software (downloadable) to easily back up your content and schedule your backup to run automatically
- Toshiba storage security software (downloadable) to help prevent unauthorized access to your data with a password lock feature
- Includes Toshiba 2 year standard limited warranty
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Customers who bought this item also bought
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Your question may be answered by sellers, manufacturers, or customers who purchased this item, who are all part of the Amazon community.
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Please enter a question.
From the manufacturer
Canvio Advance Portable Hard Drive
Take Life Anywhere
The Canvio Advance portable hard drive allows creators to do what they do best–anywhere their lives take them–offering high storage capacity, quick access to your stored content and the time-tested reliable performance they need. Plus, it is backed by a 2-year limited warranty (2), so you can feel confident to create wherever inspiration moves you.
The Canvio Advance features a sleek design that comes in a variety of vibrant colors to fit your personal style. It also offers easy-to-use software (available via free download) to help keep your files protected.
Powered by USB 3.0 technology, Canvio Advance portable hard drives are far faster than—but still compatible with—USB 2.0 devices, allowing for speedy transfer when organizing your files.
What's in the Box
- Toshiba Canvio Advance Portable Hard Drive
- USB 3.0 Cable (works with USB 2.0)
- Quick Start Guide
- Downloadable Software
- 2-year standard limited warranty (2)
Avoid losing valuable content with the Toshiba Storage Backup Software* for your PC (3). The intuitive interface makes backing up your data a breeze. Simply set the time and intervals for your backups and let the software take care of the rest. (*available via free download).
Prevent unauthorized users from accessing your private information with the Toshiba Storage Security Software* for your PC (3), allowing you to secure your hard drive with a unique password. (*available via free download).
Step up your storage with up to 4TB (1) capacity so you can take your massive collection of photos, music, and videos with you on the go and have space for your other important files also.
|Canvio Premium||Canvio Advance||Canvio Basics||Canvio for Desktop|
|Stylish design, Backup & Security, Versatile USB connectivity||Vibrant design, Backup & Security||Classic design, Simple add on storage||Versatile design, High capacity centralized storage|
|Capacities (1)||1TB, 2TB, 3TB||1TB, 2TB, 3TB, 4TB||1TB, 2TB, 3TB, 4TB||4TB, 5TB, 6TB|
|Casing||Aluminum||High Gloss finish||Matte finish||High Gloss finish|
|Colors||Silver||Black, Blue, Red, White||Black||Black|
|Interface||USB 3.0/USB 2.0||USB 3.0/USB 2.0||USB 3.0/USB 2.0||USB 3.0/USB 2.0|
|Compatibility (3)||Windows/Mac* (*reformatting required for Mac)||Windows/Mac* (*reformatting required for Mac)||Windows/Mac* (*reformatting required for Mac)||Windows/Mac* (*reformatting required for Mac)|
|Auto backup software (for Windows)||✓||✓|
|Password protection software (for Windows)||✓||✓|
|USB Type-C adapter||✓|
|Limited warranty (2)||3 years||2 years||1 year||2 years|
1. Actual formatted capacity may vary. For details, please visit Toshiba's consumer hard drive website.
2. Standard limited warranty terms apply. The warranty brochure is preloaded on the hard drive or can be viewed online.
3. Compatibility may vary depending on user’s hardware configuration and operating system. Drive formatted NTFS for Windows-based PC. Reformatting required for Mac computers.
4. Product specifications, colors, features, and availability are subject to change without notice.
Compare with similar items
Toshiba (HDTB420XK3AA) Canvio Basics 2TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0, Black
WD 2TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBU6Y0020BBK
WD 2TB My Passport Portable External Hard Drive, Black - WDBYVG0020BBK-WESN
Seagate Portable 1TB External Hard Drive HDD – USB 3.0 for PC, Mac, PS4, & Xbox (STGX1000400)
WD Black 5TB P10 Game Drive Portable External Hard Drive Compatible with PS4 Xbox One PC and Mac WDBA3A0050BBKWESN
|Shipping||—||FREE Shipping. Details||FREE Shipping. Details||FREE Shipping. Details||FREE Shipping. Details||FREE Shipping. Details|
|Sold By||Available from these sellers||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Amazon.com|
|Digital Storage Capacity||4 TB||2 TB||2 TB||2000 MB||1 TB||5 TB|
|Hard Disk Description||Portable||Portable||Fast transfer rates When connected to a USB 3.0 port, WD Elements portable storage delivers maximum performance for data transfers. Transfer a full-length HD movie in a fraction of the time it takes with USB 2.0. Performance may vary based on user's hardware and system configuration. USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility Works seamlessly with the latest USB 3.0 devices and is backward compatible with USB 2.0 devices as well. High capacity in a small enclosure The small, lightweight design offers high-capacity storage, making WD Elements portable storage the ideal companion for consumers who want to take their important files with them. Improve PC performance When your internal drive is almost full your PC slows down. Don't delete files. Free up space on your internal drive by transferring files to your WD Elements and get your PC moving again. WD quality inside and out We know your data is important to you. So we build the drive inside to our demanding requirements for durability, shock tolerance and long-term reliability. Then we protect the drive with a durable enclosure designed for style and protection. Formatted for Windows Formatted NTFS and compatible with Windows 10, 8.1 and 7. Reformatting required for other operating systems.||Portable||Portable||Portable|
|Hard Disk Size||4 TB||2.0 TB||2.00 TB||2.0 TB||1 TB||5.0 TB|
|Hardware Interface||USB 3.0||USB 3.0||USB 3.0||USB 3.0||USB 2.0, USB 3.0||USB 3.0|
|Item Dimensions||4.30 x 3.10 x 0.77 inches||4.30 x 3.10 x 0.55 inches||4.35 x 3.23 x 0.59 inches||4.22 x 2.95 x 0.44 inches||4.60 x 3.15 x 0.58 inches||4.65 x 3.46 x 0.82 inches|
|Item Weight||7.36 ounces||5.28 ounces||4.66 ounces||4.23 ounces||6.72 ounces||0.51 lbs|
|Memory Storage Capacity||4 TB||2 TB||2000 GB||2000 MB||1 TB||5000 GB|
The Canvas Advance portable hard drive allows creators to do what they do best anywhere their lives take them offering high storage capacity, easy access to your stored content and the time tested reliable performance they need. Whenever and wherever creativity strikes, Canvas Advance offers the space to create. The Toshiba Canvas Advance provides up to 4TB of storage so you can store thousands of pictures, videos, music, or a variety of large files on a small 2. 5” portable drive. The new Toshiba Canvas Advance features a minimalist design as well as clean edges, a sleek, high gloss surface, and color options to inspire you it's your life, your style, your speed. Keep your files safe and secure with features such as password protection and scheduled backup. Work at the speed of inspiration with the lightning fast transfer speeds of Canvas Advance. With USB 3. 0 you'll be able to transfer and backup files on the go while powering the drive through your laptop's USB connection. These new durable external hard drives are built to Toshiba world class quality standards and backed by a standard 2 year, so you can feel confident to create wherever inspiration moves you. Access all of your stored content with peace of mind from the Canvas Advance portable hard drive.
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
1) EVERY hard drive manufacturer has failures. EVERY last one. Some are DOA, some take a month or more. It depends on your use. Moving parts break. Vents clog. Chips fry. Boards crack. I tried finding good data, but [statistics jargon]. Commonly reported rates, industry wide are in the 2-5% failure range with some lines doing better or worse. Personally, I've had a great experience with these.
1b) No matter how good, all hard drives eventually die. Count it a win if you can use it until it's too small and slow to be worth keeping. (When that happens, don't forget to secure erase the drive before recycling it.)
1c) People are more likely to complain than praise. Any drive you research will have fewer good user reviews than bad. (See #8 & 9 below.)
1d) Smaller manufacturers get bought out by larger ones. Last year's high-end product may now harbor a low-end drive. Seriously. CYA. Find manufacturers you trust and give them your loyalty.
2) Every USB hard drive, thumb drive, etc. works on Windows, Mac and Linux. There are a few specialty proprietary devices, especially for professional and enterprise equipment, but consumer equipment works on both. Reformat it if you need to. Check it on all your devices before using it (technical reasons).
2b) ExFAT is the usual suspect for cross-platform file sharing. It's not great. It has nothing to hinder data loss (like journaling) and, in my experience, Macs sometimes choke on it. Consider a reputable cross-platform file driver and stick with NTFS or HFS+. Check your drive on all the platforms before using it (technical reasons). If you're using it for backups, only use it for backups. If it's for TimeMachine on a Mac, let TimeMachine reformat it and take it over completely.
2c) Check the options when you buy it and check again in your cart. There are multiple sizes, styles and "support" options. Make sure you're ordering what you think you are. Seriously. I've seen plenty of reviews by people who are really complaining that they ordered the wrong thing. And watch the price when you change options. Check it again in the cart before you check out.
3) Don't move your data – copy it. And save your old drive until your sure the new one is good. Feel free to abuse your new device, perform surface scans, etc. as often as you want when you get it. It's called a burn in. If the drive's mechanics are good, software will watch for failing sectors later (look up S.M.A.R.T.).
3b) This particular drive isn't an SSD, but since I claim to be telling you everything about hard drives... SSDs don't need scans and should not be defragged. It's actually bad for them.
4) Get an online backup service, preferably a reputable one with a zero-knowledge policy, like SpiderOak or Carbonite. That means the provider can't access your data even if they wanted to. It's called security. Hang on to your old drive until your files finish backing up (in case of a failure). Depending on your service, it may not take very long. (Some services check your data to avoid uploading the same data twice.)
5) Electronic equipment, no matter how rugged or solid-state it claims to be, no matter what the ads say, is not intended to be thrown, dropped, sat on, magnetized, electrocuted, submerged, burned, microwaved, or implanted into living beings. It's certainly not meant to be thrown, left in the rain, dropped in the pool, etc. You do that and it breaks. You lose data. Products actually intended for this behavior are expensive. Water resistant is not submersible. Submersible has limits. Shock resistant does not mean it's ok to drop it.
6) Don't use the included backup software, backup service, or built-in password protection. You are not paying for these things. If they were that good, they would be sold independently. If they are, what you have is an ad designed to trick you into using a service you won't bother to cancel. Get your own service. (See #4.)
6b) The first thing you should do is reformat the drive, even if it came formatted. It doesn't take long. Just do it.
7) Portable is good, but if your laptop comes with an external mouse and keyboard, two external drives, a hub... it's not portable anymore. SD cards are pretty cheap and more durable for travel. They're also faster. Keep your drive safe and bring copies. Unless, of course you need a lot of space. In that case get a second drive and bring copies. If your data is that important, protect it.
8) Think of the stupidest person at your job and assume that every review is written by them. Seriously, I've known professional techs I wouldn't trust to plug in a keyboard. Some of them made a lot of money. I have DECADES of tech experience. I also have a bunch of educational and professional credentials. Of course, I may also be a small pink bunny. You don't know. Don't listen to people on the internet, including me. Look for respected technical sites (I don't think I'm allowed to list any here) and find consensus. Ask what the worst outcome is if the writer is a moron or troll.
9) When checking the reviews, check what the 1-star reviews say. Are they bitter or factual? Drives fail? Did the company treat them well? Are they actually complaining about Amazon or a 3rd party seller?
9b) 12% of the reviews here are 1-star. A quick survey shows me at least half of them are by people that don't know as much about computers as their friends tell them they do. Half of the rest are actually complaining about other stuff. Toshiba's return policies look like they could use some work though, so use your 30-days to burn it in and back it up.
TLDR I've been using The Toshiba Canvio line since it came out and I still have and use my original drive. I've used them professionally, as have people I know in a variety of fields. I've personally owned at least 6 and known many others with them. In all that time I've had exactly one problem (see below). When asked for my professional recommendation, it's my go to. Lately, I've been looking for a higher capacity drive (Macs and laptops are port-deprived), but I keep coming back here.
UPDATE: I had my first problem, an old 1TB I've had so long I can't find a record of when I bought it. The light was on but the system didn't even know it was there. The fix? I pried open the case and unplugged the sliver of electronics connecting the internal drive's connector (SATA) to the outside socket (USB-B). Then I plugged it back in and reassembled the drive. FWIW, it's called reseating. It works on anything with a cord and ranks up there with restarting the system for magical fixes.
BONUS: No guarantees, but if that sliver of electronics is bad, you may be able to access the drive inside with a new housing or SATA to USB adapter kit. I think I paid around $40 for mine. Opening the case carefully is probably more difficult than using the gear, but there are a number of reputable forums where you can get help using it.
And, oh by the way, the last return date was April 9! The same day it stopped working!
Making a very very strange clicking sound and is not letting me move files to another drive. I have 4 paying clients work on this that is currently in limbo. May be recovered, may not, but not something that should ever have to be worried about with one of these drives. Get yourself a WD and don’t go through this stress.
That issue was due to a lack of power needed to start the drive. I used a different USB pluggin with a higher voltage and it started to work well!
This Toshiba Canvio Advance 2TB is worthless and a waste of my money. Calling this "Amazon's Choice" is a sick joke. Almost 5 stars? It deserves less than a one star; it deserves minus stars.
BTW, I use numerous external hard drives for storage. I use a different, older Toshiba and it's okay. I use WD, I use Seagate, I use Fantom; never a problem. Seagate and Fantom are very good. WD external hard drives are especially excellent. Reliable.
I purchased this Toshiba Canvio Advance 2TB in SEP 2018 and by the time the drive failed, the company had closed me off from support, etc.
I'm replacing this with a WD that I can trust.
Top international reviews
IMPOSSIBLE DE FAIRE RESPECTER LA GARANTIE: TOSHIBA RESPECTE SA GARANTIE EN EUROPE, MAIS EN AMÉRIQUE IL FAUT PASSER PAR LE VENDEUR ET AMAZON N’A RIEN PRÉVU APRÈS 2-3 MOIS.
Alors 2 ans c’est une blague de très mauvais goût... Donc si vous voulez perdre votre argent et vos précieuses données, ALLEZ -Y, ACHETEZ...
DO NOT BUY PLEASE AVOID THIS HDD
No anúncio, comprei um produto NOVO.
Entretanto, a caixa em que recebi o HD Externo Toshiba não tinha lacres originais, mas sim do ""importador" brasileiro (Agis Equipamentos). O produto veio com uma das faces riscada, típicos de um produto já usado. (estranhei também não vir com aquela película plástica de proteção.
Não acredito em toca de produtos no Brasil (aqui, se vc reclamar, é capaz que te mandem um produto internamente mais danificado ainda).
Enfim, fica o ALERTA.
Resumo: insatisfeito e frustrado com a compra.
On the drive, there's links to two pieces of software, one for backups (which works well if you don't have a third-party backup solution) and another that allows you to encrypt the drive contents for secure storage. When you insert the USB for an encrypted drive, it asks for the password before it opens the contents. Nice little piece of software.
Other than that, the drive works well. Compared to another vendor's 4TB, it's just as fast, but has better software included. No issues with the two drives I bought so far, and I've travelled around the world with one drive being shaken up in my luggage to no ill effects. Impressed, and I'll probably buy more for backup purposes.
Follow-up: I've now bought about six of these external 4TB Toshiba drives, some of them active 24/7, and all have worked flawlessly. I travel with two drives containing sensitive data, so I really value the security locking (password protection) feature.