|Hard Drive||1536 GB Portable|
(Old Model) Toshiba 1.5 TB Toshiba Canvio Basics 3.0 Portable Hard Drive (HDTB115XK3CA)
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- USB 3.0-powered portable add-on storage.
- Easy to use with no software to install. Plug and play operation.
- Protects your drive (Internal Shock Sensor and Ramp Loading Technology).
- Accommodates large digital files with spacious storage capacity.
- Gives you peace of mind (Toshiba 3-Year Limited Warranty).
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
I was in the same boat. My Canvio Basics failed to be "recognized" by my PC within 1 month. My 2-star rating reflects this.
HOWEVER, this is directed toward those who believe "all [my] valuable data is lost forever". I conjecture that 99% of the time it is not, and there is a relatively very simple & inexpensive fix.
The problem is most likely not with the drive itself but rather the 'bridge' circuitry between the drive and the USB connection. There is most likely nothing wrong with the drive itself, and thus nor is there anything wrong with your data. Such was also the case with me.
These drives, regardless of manufacturer or capacity, are essentially identical in their 'guts'. The difference is often nothing more than what you see: packaging, branding, bloatware, and other brand-specific identities. Indeed, crack open a lesser-known brand (Calvary, Fantom, etc.) and there's a good chance you will actually see Toshiba, Hitachi, Western Digital, or some other recognizable name's 'guts' inside.
Here is how to fix the problem.
1. Purchase a 2.5" SATA-to-USB enclosure. Amazon lists them for as little as $3. If you are fortunate enough to live close to a MicroCenter, they sell them for $6. Yes this is extra money and hassle, but your data is worth it, and I presume for many of you this is more convenient than dealing with returning the drive. You probably purchased this drive because it was over $6 cheaper anyway.
2. The drive casing is a 2-piece shell.Read more ›
The warranty claim phone number put me on hold for about 35 minutes before I gave up, with no indication at all as to how long I would have to wait, or how many other people are ahead of me!
From my point of view, the warranty that Toshiba claims to offer on their external harddrives is total B.S. It seems that they are purposely making it impossible to file a claim their products. So frustrated and upset after this experience, I will be sure to avoid Toshiba in the future.
This is an "portable" hard drive meaning all it needs is a USB plug into your computer to transfer the data and get power from. That means you don't have to plug in an AC adapter to your wall socket. I prefer these hard drives over the kind that require an AC adapter every time. This will also work with USB 2.0 adapters the speeds for 2.0 transfers are still fast enough for most users at about a gigabyte of data every 30 to 40 seconds. At the time of writing this review to terabyte drives or the highest capacity could find for a portable hard drive. If you want to get a 3 or 4TB hard drive those are the kind that require a wall AC adapter.
This hard drive is Mac compatible just follow the steps below to format the hard drive for your Mac. If you're a Mac user setting up or erasing this drive up with your computer is super easy follow these steps.
1. Plug in the the drive
2. Open up disk utility found in your applications folder inside the utilities folder
3. Next select the newly plugged in a drive and on the right-hand side you should see partition click on that.
4. Then inside that screen on the partition layout drop-down choose how many partitions you'd like to set up. I generally go with one partition and just use folders to organize my files.Read more ›
Update 8/1/2012: I just saw that Amazon raised the price by $10... this was a great item at $44.99, but $54.99 is still pretty good...
Update 2/26/201: I recently got yet another one of these, a 500 GB version this time (Bought from Office Max only because I had some in-store rewards to use up), and again, I stand by everything in my original review. Excellent quality drive, GREAT price, and easy to format for use with either Windows or Macintosh.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Hasnt been even a year and its not working properly!
lost tons of projects
Bought this external for my Wii u. Needed a y cable, but works perfectly.Published 5 days ago by William
Bought this for my son and his xbox games. He has had no issues with it.Published 5 days ago by spd357
Great heavy duty plug-n-play drive well made at a fantastic price.Published 6 days ago by Lawrence Warneke
I've been using this for a couple years now and haven't had any problems *knocks on wood* great hard drive.Published 6 days ago by Amazon Customer
I backed up some data to this drive and kept it in a cool dry closet for months. I recently took it down to back more data up and it died when I plugged it in. Read morePublished 9 days ago by V. Greer