- USB Powered
Toshiba Canvio 1.0 TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - HDTC610XK3B1 (Black)
- Transfers your large media files at blazing fast speeds with USB 3.0.
- Protects your drive (Internal Shock Sensor and Ramp Loading Technology).
- Provides file, folder, and full system backup and recovery with pre-loaded backup software.
- Secures your backup with a password (Data Encryption, up to 256-bit).
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
If you want a smarter way to preserve your most precious digital files and memories, Toshiba's "brainy" Canvio 3.0 portable hard drive offers a complete system backup solution in a box. It requires no external AC adapter and it's Plug & Play compatible. Just connect it into the USB port of your PC and you're good to go (learn more about backups below).
Future-proofed with USB 3.0 technology, the Canvio 3.0 hard drive significantly improves file transfer speed for large media files and dramatically minimizes the wait time for backup and recovery processes. Plus, it's backwards compatible with USB 2.0 devices. Additionally, each Canvio 3.0 portable hard drive includes an internal shock sensor and ramp loading technology to help keep your drive safe.
This version of the Canvio 3.0 portable hard drive has a 1 TB storage capacity, and it comes in black.
Toshiba Canvio 3.0 portable hard drives are compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.
Computer Backup Made Fast and Simple
The included NTI Backup Now EZ software scans your system and recommends the best coverage for your computer. Choose from three backup strategy options:
Or, choose all three for the most comprehensive coverage.
Click the restore button and you can recover a file or folder. Boot to your Canvio 3.0 portable hard drive and it will restore all the files saved on your computer. Toshiba even includes a utility to burn a boot CD/DVD to make the process even simpler.
Secure your backup files with password-protected data encryption, (up to 256-bit), to help keep your backup safe and prevent unauthorized access. The Drive Space Alert monitor will keep an eye on your drive and let you know when it is getting full.
For advanced users, Toshiba's added the ability to customize your backup routine. Options include the ability to select only the most common file types, (like work documents, pictures, movies, music, etc.), change how often your backup takes place (hourly, daily, weekly, etc.), and change the threshold settings on the Drive Space Alert.
What's in the Box
Toshiba Canvio 3.0 portable hard drive, pre-loaded backup software, USB 3.0 cable, quick install guide, warranty card
Top Customer Reviews
Some things to consider:
* This is a USB 3.0 device. You can use it on USB 2.0 ports, but USB 3.0 devices are less tolerant of out-of-spec components. Some older USB ports cannot handle the signal and power requirements of a USB 3.0 device. For example, I can plug this drive directly into my HP laptop docking station (USB 2.0) and it works like gold. I plug it into the USB ports on the front of one of my desktop PCs (USB 2.0, connected to the USB header on the motherboard) and all the drive will do is come on, make a clicking sound, and report an error in Windows (not enough power going to the drive). I plug it into a rear USB port on the same desktop with an extension cable and it works like gold again. I suspect this low tolerance for older, out-of-spec USB components is causing the problems other reviewers seem to be having with the drive.
* As others have mentioned, the USB 3.0 cable included with the drive is rather short (~18in). I suspect the short length may have something to do with Toshiba's attempt at mitigating potential problems with older/out-of-spec USB components. I had luck using a USB extension cable, but that was on a USB 2.0 port. Your mileage may vary.
So, two caveats: (1) If you use it with older and/or out-of-spec components you may have some troubleshooting to do; and, (2) the included cable is shorter than others. Neither of those things is worth taking off a whole star.
This drive worked fine for about a year, and now will no longer mount. Toshiba claims that there is a 3 Year Warranty on the product, which is clearly expressed on the box, and in the pamphlet. Well, I spent 3 hours so far trying to file a warranty claim on the product with no progress. I've called about 5 phone numbers and visited 3 websites, and I just keep getting redirected from one person to another. Nobody can help me, and they even refuse to escalate my call to a manager.
The warranty claim phone number put me on hold for about 35 minutes before I gave up, with no indication at all as to how long I would have to wait, or how many other people are ahead of me!
From my point of view, the warranty that Toshiba claims to offer on their external harddrives is total B.S. It seems that they are purposely making it impossible to file a claim their products. So frustrated and upset after this experience, I will be sure to avoid Toshiba in the future.
So, here's the reasons that I purchased the drive:
1. Small = The drive is wide as a 1.5 deck of playing cards and thin as a flat dinner plate/dish
2. Low Power Consumption = One single USB attachment is plenty to power the drive... granted the USB port is on a powered USB hub (USB hub has its own power supply plugged into an electrical outlet) or a bus powered USB port on a computer has good power flow to it.
3. No BS = Even though the drive comes with backup software, you do not have to use it.
4. Size = Its got a 1 terabyte (1TB) capacity. Bigger is better IMO(in my opinion it's what I needed and the color that I wanted).
I plugged in the dive and Windows installed the device and recognized it. I reformatted the drive even though it already comes NTFS formatted. NTSF is a file standard file structure format just as FAT or FAT16, on NTSF is better and much more flexible in its use.
Whenever I plug it in, it takes 30-50 seconds for my computer to recognize it, but that might have to do with the USB ports on my computer or the USB cable that came with the drive and not the actual drive (either way, I don't care because it works)!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I have been very happy with this. It has performed flawlessly. It was amazing to free up that much space on my PC. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Mike S.
After one time use, I cannot see the driver on my computer. I tried many ways but never works.Published 2 months ago by bing wang
This thing is awesome! It's been perfect for my needs, I bought it to play backup copies of games on a modified Nintendo Wii. Read morePublished 2 months ago by logan zaske