Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Toshiba DVR620 DVD/VHS Recorder (Black) (Discontinued)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Joseph Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Back to School

on November 29, 2015
So far so good, but the VHS does not appear to be HQ and that makes a difference. Maybe it's my tapes but I don't think so. I can't find the HQ anywhere so until I hear otherwise, be careful. I'll change my reading if I hear otherwise.
on January 31, 2015
High quality machine that works as promised. Dubbing quality from VCR tapes to DVD is very good. Does not have a coaxial cable jack. I don't want to record from TV or cable so I don't care, but this might be a dealbreaker for some people.
on December 9, 2014
I ordered what was supposed to be new, but when I used it for the first time the place where one puts the DVD was dirty. Also, the machine does not always eject the VCR tapes properly. The last time this happened I had to use a kitchen knife to hold up the flap so that the tape would come out. The machine did not come with any information regarding the company from which I ordered it, so I haven't known how to contact them about these problems.
on August 12, 2013
Had to have a electronic person install it. This for an HMDI connection??? Unit worked for 1 hour, First the clock kept flashing, then stopped. It ate up one of my tapes and then when I tried a disc, the unit got hot and the disc wouldn't eject. Many calls to Toshiba, they kept saying Oh, THAT's covered in the instructions. What a total waste of money and time!
on February 16, 2014
Purchased this product as a Christmas gift..did not work..contacted company it was purchased from was told could not return it..told them it was a x-ma's gift..could not get a refund..had to ship it back at my expense..received another one and it does not work..waiting to find out what they are going to do..this is February..very disappointed..will not by video equipment from Amazon again!!
on January 27, 2015
I needed a VCR/DVD recorder, and this Toshiba exceeded my expectations. I was apprehensive-- a couple of the reviews had comments about difficulty in following the step-by-step instructions. Fortunately the many positive comments prevailed-- especially the leading review comment with clarification notes by G.B. Packert helped. I did follow the advice to NOT insert the VCR tape until after all the setup. I did this each time and never had a problem (Is this really necessary?-- I haven't tried a VCR/DVD dubbing by inserting the tape at the beginning.) One miss-step that I did make on my first dubbing was: I selected "rec" instead of "record mode" (adjacent button on remote control). Just follow the directions exactly as in the manual from Toshiba-- with the possible exception of inserting the VCR tape just prior to beginning dubbing (after viewing and pause for the start point). I did not have to call Toshiba, but it was good to know that others have had good experience with Toshiba's phone help.
on July 29, 2014
This is already heavily reviewed so I will be brief. I got this to transfer tapes to DVD. Following Mr. Packert's instructions (thank you) I got about 20 of my 70 tapes transferred, no problem, worked great. Then..hissing sounds. I called toshiba, the reps were nice enough but told me I needed to send the unit back for replacement. I did, at a $31.00 cost to you know who (hint...it wasn't toshiba). They sent me a new unit which has worked great...so far.

Toshiba seems to have a quality control problem with this unit. Purchase it if you wish, you may be very happy. But be prepared for possible problems.

Also...when I told amazon about the $31.00, they covered it. It's hard to beat amazon.

Good luck.
on February 22, 2014
What more to say? My grandkids still like some of the old video tapes, so this was a good choice for us.
on August 17, 2011
I got this for my wife for Christmas. We have been recording things off TV, VHS tapes, recorded items off our DVR. It's been pretty simple.
When I first got it I had some questions about the set up and the first Toshiba rep was completely rude and inconsiderate. I even tried to be light hearted and lighten the mood. This person was NOT happy working where he was. I never had to ask to speak to a supervisor regarding somebody's poor attitude/behavior. I should have taken his name and reported him. I have nothing good to report about that rep. I called right back and spoke with somebody more patient and respectful.
The machine and the remote seemed to be built cheaply.
Overall I am happy with the unit due to the simplicity and have had no problems.
on June 13, 2014
The DVD door would not open properly, right out of the box! Toshiba no help at all. Called 800 number and got message to get help on internet web site. Get to website, oh, we can't find that serial number. ???????