Industrial Deals HPC Design the future with O'Reilly Media Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on March 19, 2014
G.B.'s review was a deciding point in my buy in buying the Toshiba. I appreciate the time and effort it took to write such an outstanding review. Saved me time and effort. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look forward to using the Toshiba when I get it; gonna be a cakewalk.

Regards SJ
on November 11, 2017
Does a good job
on November 6, 2013
Don't buy this product under ANY circumstances. Customer service was HORRIBLE. On the phone with four different people from who knows where. Were unable to help me with setting up device and they read from the manual! They blamed it on the cable company and the TV! Even the cable company could not help me. I tried to set up this device for over four hours!

I would give this product a minus rating if I could. Toshiba today is a far cry from what they were 20 years ago. Shame on them. If you need to transfer your VHS tapes on to disk, go to a professional service. If you have old VHS movies, buy them on DVD or Blu-Ray. I can't understand how anyone could be satisfied with this machine or get it to work.They must be tech superstars.
on January 30, 2010
I bought this player to transfer home-made VHS tapes of our family to disc. We purchased it for Christmas and watched DVDs and tapes for for several weeks before I tried the transfer feature over a weekend. I read the entire manual, rereading some sections several times to make sure I both knew and understood the steps. The manual was passable, although further editing from a technical writer was needed. I followed the steps, of which there were 9, to no avail; the device would not transfer the data to disc, in fact the VHS would not run during the DVD recording process. Not good. I tried several more times, and even experimented with changing some of the instructions that seemed incongruent with the others - no luck, and the return deadline was the next day. I called Amazon and made arrangements to return the device if Toshiba customer service could not help on Monday. I then went to Amazon customer reviews (perhaps one of the top reasons I truely enjoy shopping Amazon). I found someone who had the same experience and spent time on the phone with the Toshiba tech guys. Eventually he reached someone who told him that in the Owner's Maunal (page 51) Step 7 (of 9 - sorry, I couldn't help it) should be skipped - it wasn't suppose to be there - I mean, really, it is the wrong thing to do even though it is in large font. I deleted step 7 and the process has worked without a problem, at least so far (thanks for the tip MattWest). The other guy didn't have as much luck and returned his unit.

Aside from that, the unit performs well. The picture is quite good, and it is a significant improvement in sound even when it is run through a very old Denon receiver. I am pleased with the result. The remote is not particularly intuitive but it serves a variety of functions well. For the price, the unit does quite well in terms of sound and picture. This would be a "4" if the manual was more readable, and, of course, accurate. With these caveats I recommend the unit.
11 comment| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 30, 2017
Not too well
on September 18, 2017
NO display from hdmi
on December 15, 2015
Worked great when I first got it, I did several hours of dubbing. Eight months later (without use), I went to play a DVD and the door wouldn't fully open or close. I have 10 year old computers with CD drives that work better than this.

Warranty is for 3 months.
on October 10, 2014
This is a wonderful DVD recorder. We were able to record programs to DVD to make room on our DVR from cable and satellite. I was able to hook this up to the TV and record from the DVR with no problems whatsoever.
on December 30, 2011
I purchased Toshiba DVR620 a few weeks ago to convert my old VHS cassettes to DVD (standard definition). Some VHS cassettes are 22-year old, yet DVR620 did a great job of converting every single one of them. The unit is simple to use, but I strongly recommend reading the manual, especially "finalizing" part, if DVDs are to be played on DVD players other than this one after converting. Toshiba DVR620 even played PAL-formatted DVD on my NTSC tv set!
I have been buying Toshiba products for over 2 decades now and I always get a very good quality and longevity.
on January 1, 2015
Bought this to, obviously, transfer our family VHS tapes to disk instead of sending them out to be done. What a treat to be able to see old footage again playing in the VHS side. I was hesitant to do this ourselves, but so far it has been fun to review the tapes and go through them to see what's there. We have just begun to transfer tapes and so far no complaints. Machine process is pretty basic to understand and I look forward to learning how to do more of the editing process to make disks for family members.