Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,328 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,532 reviews
on December 16, 2009
I bought this DVD recorder to copy many old family home movies on videocassettes to DVDs. Our home movies date back to 1988. After some advice from customer service at Toshiba, I have been able to use the recorder to dub my old home movies successfully to DVDs.

Like several other users, I found that when I followed the instructions for dubbing to DVDs, the recorder showed a "Barred" icon, a slashed red circle. After several attempts with different brands of DVD disks, I called Toshiba. I got some very helpful advice from the first customer service agent at Toshiba, but I was still unable to resolve the problem. I called back and talked to another agent, who was able to help me resolve the recording issues. Both customer service agents at Toshiba were very knowledgeable and did an excellent job of explaining their advice. I was very satisfied with Toshiba customer service. I will summarize the advice below so that other people who have difficulties with the recorder can try these steps to resolve their problems.

1. Because old videotapes may not track well when they have been unused for several years, fast forward to the end of the tape and rewind the tape before attempting to copy it. The recorder may refuse to copy a tape if it does not track well.

2. Eject the videotape. Apparently Toshiba DVRs (both the 610 and 620) can balk if the videotape is inserted before the DVD.

3. Push the DVD button and insert the blank DVD.

4. Press Record Mode (not Record) button and set the speed (I use SP).

5. Press the Setup button and select Recording. Select Dubbing Mode. Select VCR > DVD.

6. Press the VCR button and insert the videotape. Press Play and then Pause (not Stop) at the point slightly before you wish to start copying.

7. Press the Dubbing button. Push Stop when you want to stop dubbing. You can then insert another videotape to dub onto the same DVD, until it is full.

8. You can add titles on the DVD disk with the Top Menu button by selecting the part you wish to title and clicking on Edit and Edit Title.

9. After adding titles, you should finalize the DVD by pressing the Setup button, selecting DVD Menu and then Finalize (this may take a few minutes). Then you should be able to play the disk on another machine. I have been able to play finalized disks on my Sony DVD player.

I hope this is helpful for others having some trouble with these machines. I am very happy to be able to make digital copies of my old home movies.
5150+ comments| 4,907 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2014
This unit was easy to install on our smart TV. HDMI gives excellent picture and dubbing is a breeze using the easy to understand instructions. This machine is very versatile and performs as advertised. Don't hesitate to buy if you have an application for which it was intended. I expect it will make short work of transferring our boxes of VHS tape to DVD's. Thanks for the swift delivery, less than 48HRS.
11 comment| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 2009
Unit doesn't come with HDMI cables, which is normal, so I used my own and plugged it into my Samsung HDTV. It plays my old VHS wonderfully! I can actually hear the sound on my old Disney movies ... a problem I was having with my old Panasonic VHS.

I then tested it on recording/dubbing my old home videos on VHS to DVD. I had problems because I got the red circle with the slash through it. So I called up Toshiba customer service and after a few button pushing of 1's, 2's, and 3's, I was connected to a representative who told me to skip step #7 on page 50.

Step 7 is the "press [dvd], then press [rec mode] ..." I basically skipped that step and went straight to the press dubbing button and everything works perfectly!

The catch with not being able to use step 7 is I have to sit and watch the entire VHS so I can hit the "stop" button again. But if I do fall asleep dubbing, the VCR to DVD duplication automatically stops if it senses no image for more than 3 minutes. So it's not that bad.

And one more tip the Toshiba rep gave me is that I must be in L1 mode. There is an L1, L2, and L3 mode (you can change by pushing the input button on the top left of the remote control). I haven't explored the rest. But she said I must stay in L1 mode to dub VHS to DVD. Which is the mode you first get when you plug in the unit ... so as long as you don't change it, everything is fine.

The reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I must have the remote control to eject the VHS. No remote, the VHS is forever in the unit. There's only 2 buttons on the entire unit ... 1) eject DVD button and 2) power button. If they had a 3rd button to eject the VHS, I would have given it 5 stars.

I will revise my review if I experience any more problems with the unit. But overall, I'm very happy with it.

Added January 2010 - My unit still works find after all these months. Many thanks to V. Genova's post for telling me I can flip the bottom cover open and find the eject button to the VHS, plus other useful buttons. I'm still very happy with the unit even though I'm done converting everything to DVD in the house. Of course I couldn't convert the Disney VHS but I still kept them so my daughter can watch Disney VHS on the HDTV using the Toshiba player.

Added January 17, 2010 - I hooked up TiVo TCD652160 HD Digital Video Recorder to my Toshiba player and now I'm recording my TV shows to DVD!!! I'm so excited! I used the A/V cables and set it up as TIVO OUT and Toshiba player IN. I was in L1 & DVD mode of my Toshiba player. I played an episode I saved on my TIVO and hit the record button on my Toshiba player. That's it! Now I can take my favorite TV episodes on DVD everywhere I go. The quality is decent, not HD. But it will keep my daughter very happy when we're on road trips. My TV is the Samsung LN46B650 46-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV with Red Touch of Color, also from Amazon.
1313 comments| 642 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2014
The delivery took longer than I would have liked; however, it did arrive within the time window. I purchased this item for one reason ONLY: to convert old VHS tapes to DVD. I have no knowledge of other uses of the machine.
I previously paid almost the price of the Toshiba DVR620 to have 15 VHS tapes “professionally” copied, plus I had to wait for over a month for my tapes/dvds to be returned.
My TV monitor is connected to the Toshiba by HDMI, so no time spent sorting and connecting RCA cables. Thanks to reviewer “G.B. Packert” I hardly looked at the owner’s manual yet I was set up and copying DVDs within 30 minutes. I have now copied dozens of tapes with no problems.
The only downside is that transfer from VHS to DVD is done in “real time”. This is not a big problem since I get to watch my old tapes while I copy them to DVD and there are some I have not seen in years (decades), so it’s not too tiresome to wait and watch during the transfer.
Some reviewers commented that the remote was required to eject the tape/dvds – this is not the case. There is a hinged front cover that will open to reveal most all functions that are found on the remote. I leave the front cover down all the time on mine.
Because “BG Packert” did not completely idiot proof his/her steps I have clarified/modified and added to those steps in order to make the VHS to DVD process a little clearer (at least for a non-techie like me). My changes are spelled out below (and I liberally quote directly from BGP’s review throughout my comments).
1. Because old videotapes may not track well when they have been unused for several years, fast forward to the end of the tape and rewind the tape before copying it. The recorder may refuse to copy a tape if it does not track well.

3. Push the DVD button and insert the blank DVD. Allow blank DVD to load.
a. By-the-way “Verbatim DVD-R” disc’s work fine for making copy to DVD.

4. Press Record Mode (not Record) button (on the remote) and set the speed (typically use: “SP”). The monitor will go blank after selection is made; or, if you press “Enter” on the remote.

5. Press the “Setup” button (on the remote) and select “General Settings” then “Recording” (on the monitor).

6. From the “Recording” menu (on the monitor): select “Dubbing Mode”;
a. Then Select: “VCR > DVD”.

7. To get out of the “Recording” menu, press “Set-Up” button again. (Monitor goes to blank blue screen.)

8. Press the VCR button and insert the videotape.

9. On the remote, press “Play” and then “Pause” (not Stop) at the point slightly before you wish to start copying. Press the “Dubbing” button to begin the process.

10. When you want to stop dubbing, press “Stop” on the remote. (Allow “Writing to disk” process to finish. You can then insert another videotape to dub onto the same DVD, until the DVD is full.) If you replace the VHS tape: press “Dubbing” to begin copying again on the same DVD.

11. To add titles onto the DVD disk: Using the “Top Menu” button (on the remote) select the part (Chapter) of the new DVD you wish to title then press “Enter”.
a. Then (using the monitor) select Edit to create your Title. (Refer to pp 76-77 in the Owners Guide for how to use the remote to create titles.)
b. After naming the Title press “Enter” and then select “yes”
c. Press “Return” button on remote, 2-3 times until blue screen appears. (Allow “Writing to disk” process to finish.)

12. “Finalize” the DVD (after adding titles): Press the “Setup” button (on the remote), then select “DVD Menu” and then “Finalize” on the monitor. (Finalizing may take a few minutes). This step is not required but failure to follow it may result in your new DVD being unable to play on another machine. Also using a DVD-RW disc may allow you change titles after it’s finalized.
When finished with the “12 Steps” you are good to go… unless, you want/need additional copies. If so, you will need a program to copy DVD to DVD (unless you want to re-copy your VHS tape again).

To do copies: I bought “easy CD & DVD burning” by Roxio. While available from Amazon I did not buy from Amazon, because I needed it immediately. The program is simple and easy to use for a novice, such as myself. Overall I was very pleased with Roxio’s “easy CD & DVD” except for one thing: If you want to copy a single “title/chapter” that you’ve created (and not the entire DVD) Roxio will copy without sound (!). You will get a message that “AC3 codec” is not supported. Roxio’s tech support will tell you to buy “Creator Nxt 3”; but reviews on Amazon (for that product) convinced me not to waste the money.

Actually, if you intend to copy the entire new DVD (not just selected titles/chapters) “easy CD & DVD” works perfectly. In my case, when I only wanted one “chapter/title” (with sound) and not the entire DVD I recopied just that portion of the VHS tape (again) to DVD. No problem, just took more time.

I also found that it takes approximately 3 hours to play, convert, title and copy each standard SP (2 hours recording) VHS tape. My old VHS tapes were already well labeled with subject and time markers. If your tapes are not already labeled you will need additional time to locate the places at which you want add your title/chapters (step 11 above). Alternatively, you can let the machine set chapter marks at a specified time interval (5, 10 minutes, etc.).

SUMMARY: For what I bought this for (converting VHS tape to DVD) the Toshiba DVR620 DVD/VHS Recorder works perfectly.
on May 24, 2016
After having gotten burned buying the Funai which can not dub VHS to DVD, I carefully read this time not just personal reviews, some of which apparently are fake, but the manufacturer claims.

Toshiba clearly states that this unit will dub VHS to DVD. The unit I received would not.

The manual sucks, I had to get accurate direction elsewhere from folks who had called Toshiba Support.

So yes I had DVD_R, yes I had it set to L1 recording mode, and yes I tried more than one tape. The machine would not finalize the discs, so they are coasters.

It did appear to successfully record, but unless the disc is finalized it will not play on any other machine.

It would not auto finalize so I had to try to manually do so, and following the directions very carefully the machine would not do what is shown on the net, pressing exactly the buttons shown, scrolling with the triangles, no general setup, no manually finalize disc.
So I am looking for a machine that will successfully and simply dub VHS to DVD, this is being written 23 May 2016, I am not sure what to do now having been burned twice.
on February 11, 2015
Super machine to update my old VHS tapes. Amazing technology and the instruction booklet covers all the options. I am glad I took your offer with an unbeatable price.
on February 6, 2015
Does a very nice job of converting deteriorating VHS tapes to long lasting DVD's. So far, I have converted about 90 tapes, and it works very well, just like the instruction manual says. About 30 of those tapes were S-VHS tapes that I dubbed from a S-VHS Player via a S-VHS cable into the Toshiba Combo. About 10 have been DV tapes, and the Toshiba controls the DV Deck perfectly. Having done a lot of video work and being quite picky, the DVD's have no discernible loss in quality versus the tape. One of the nice features is that it shuts down after a few minutes of no input, so you can start a dub, and then leave. I strongly recommend this machine.
on July 6, 2013
I bought this to copy old family VHS tapes to DVD. It works great once you research the correct steps to copy. The directions in the manual do not correctly tell you how to do copy. Some people report that they can use -R DVD's but I was not able to use them and in step 4 below I would get 00:00 next to the record mode displayed on TV. I has success with the +R DVD's

These directions work the best: USE ONLY THE REMOTE CONTROL IN THE EXACT ORDER LISTED
1. turn on Toshiba DVR620- button on the left front of the machine.
2. Dislay should read L1 (this is where the red, yellow, and white cables come out of the DVR and then go OUT to the TV- the three farthest to the right when looking at the back of the DVR)
3. Insert Blank DVD (press the open button top left of the remote, insert disk, press open button again to shut) The TV screne will display that the disk is loading. When the DVD is finished loading the screne will briefly display the type of DVD you put in. (ie. R+)
4. Press "Record Mode" button on the remote (NOT RECORD!!!!) and choose the speed you wish to record in like SP. Next to the record mode it will tell you how much time you will be able to record. I have found that if no time shows up 00:00 then the disk will not record so you might as well take the disk back out and put a different one in. I put two disks in that showed sp 00:00 and went through all the steps to the dubbing step and got can not record message.)
5.Press VCR button on the remote and insert video tape. Press Play and then PAUSE the tape about 5 seconds before you want to record. DO NOT PRESS STOP YOU MUST PAUSE THE TAPE.
6.Press the DVD button on the remote
7. Press the Dubbing button on the remote. (DO NOT PRESS the RECORD button!)
If it is working you will see a "red dot" and a red "DB" in the display window. You will also see the video being copied show on the TV screne. If you didn't follow the steps correctly you will see the DB, a white DVD disk flash for only a few seconds and no red dot... nothing is being recorded so start over.
8. when the video comes to the end of the video or you stop playing the VHS tape at a specific spot the TV screne will display that it is "writing to disk" you can add more video or you can finalize the disk.
9.Finalize disk by:
Press set up, press DVD menu + enter, choose finalize, choose yes if you are done putting video on the DVD
on April 13, 2014
I did a lot of research before I bought this product. I read several mixed reviews - the great and not so great. I decided to move forward with the purchase in spite of the less than good reviews. I am really glad I did! I am convinced that the people commenting negatively about this machine simply did not understand how to operate it. Granted, the instruction manual leaves a lot to be desired, but all of the online information from users plus the manual is more than enough to figure it out.

I have almost 100 vhs and vhs-c tapes to convert to DVD. This would cost close to $1,500 to get done at a local warehouse store. I started dubbing them this past week - and this machine has already paid for itself multiple times over! It works great - and is simple to use.

The one thing that should not be overlooked when your dubbing VHS to DVD and that is - fast forward the VHS tape to the very end and rewind it to the very beginning before dubbing. If it is still shaky - do it again. I had a few really old tapes that had not been view in years and they were very shaky. After doing this, it corrected the problem and they are dubbing over to DVD perfectly. Very happy with this purchase!
on December 28, 2014
I purchased this for only one purpose --- to dub VHS tapes to DVD's. Indebted to Que Pasa for his comments which make this process easier, and evolved these simplified steps:
Dubbing from VHS ----> DVD
1. Fast Wind & Rewind VHS & Eject.
2. Open & Insert a blank DVD.
3. Press "Record Mode" (on remote 2nd row from bottom) & select the speed. (Not the red record button)
Then press:
- VCR -->DVD,
- Setup.
4. Switch to VCR,
-Insert VHS Tape,
-Press Play, or Rewind to starting point.
- Press Pause at point to start dubbing.
5. Press Dubbing (on left side 2nd row at bottom of remote)
6. When dubbing complete, Press Stop.
7. Press Setup,
-DVD Menu
-Finalize
8. Be certain VHS is rewound,
Eject VHS & DVD
In the 10 days I've had the machine I've successfully dubbed about 15 tapes.
I used white-out on the frequently used remote buttons, to make them easier to see:
Setup, Dubbing, Rec Mod
I also dubbed a VHS from a DVD with no problem.