|Item Weight||11.02 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||16.9 x 14 x 3 inches|
|Item model number||HD-A2|
4-Year Home AV Protection Planfrom SquareTrade
- Coverage for product breakdowns and malfunctions
- 24/7 customer support
- Free shipping on all repairs with no deductibles or hidden fees
- Fully transferable with gifts. Cancel anytime, full refund in the first 30 days
- If you purchase this service plan and eligible product for this service plan, you acknowledge that Amazon may send the service plan seller relevant product and price information for the purpose of administering the plan
Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD Player
|Price:||$495.00 + $13.17 shipping|
- HD DVD playback
- Up-Conversion for all Standard DVD Titles
- Multi Format Compatibility
- Preprogramed remote with glow print
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player with HDMI output.
From the Manufacturer
High definition playback delivers 720p/1080i resolution at a transfer rate higher than DVD or even HDTV, resulting in a more detailed, realistic picture. Advanced audio, including Dolby® TrueHD, Dolby® Digital Plus and DTS® HD (core only), along with legacy formats including Dolby® Digital and DTS® bring an increased sonic realism to movie soundtracks. Backwards compatibility means you can enjoy your existing library of DVDs and CDs, and through the process of upconversion using HDMI, your movies are scaled to match the resolution of your HD display. An interface suite includes an abundance of audio/video connections as well as an ethernet connection for firmware updates and future internet delivered features.
| Key Video Features || Key Audio Features |
- Slim design cabinetry
- New improved remote design with glow keys and TV operation
- Ethernet connection
- HDMI 1.2a interface, component video, S-Video, composite video
- ColorStream Pro® Component Video Output: ColorStream Pro® progressive scan provides a non-interlaced component video DVD/TV connection that allows DVD-Video to reach its maximum picture quality potential. Every DVD-Video disc is mastered in MPEG-2 progressive scan (480P). By preserving DVD's progressive scan image, the ColorStream PRO connection provides a new dimension in total picture quality, delivering a more film-like, three-dimensional image. The progressive scan image is flicker-free, with virtually no visible NTSC line structure or motion artifacts, and offers better resolution than standard interlaced images. These outputs allow the video signal to be sent from the DVD player to a component video equipped interlaced or progressive scan TV. When this connection is utilized with today's HD-compatible sets, typical NTSC artifacts-like video noise, dot crawl, and flicker-are virtually eliminated, resulting in a low-noise, highly detailed picture with unequaled color purity.
- Composite Outputs -- 1
- S-Video Outputs -- 1
- Component Outputs -- 1
- HDMI Output Version 1.2 -- 1
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
The HD A2 is well built and aesthetically pleasing for its fairly large footprint. The few connectors on the back make it seem a bit "naked" but it does everything it's supposed to do.
As for performance quality: WOW! The HD DVD movie presentation is truly amazing. There is so much audio and visual information to process that it completely brings the theater experience into the home!
Video quality is spectacular! Keep in mind my set is physically only 1366x768, so my HD DVD collection stands well to blow me away again sometime in the future.
Audio quality is superb! Were I to have room for a 5.1 setup, I would imagine the high-definition audio modes [Dolby TrueHD / DTS HD (core)] would be multitudes more impressive than the mere two channels of Dolby Digital audio that I hear now - I'm still blown away.
The HD A2 delivers all of the video and audio information in a remarkable way!
Startup speed for me has yet to be an issue - I just now timed it at roughly 30 seconds for the intro logo to appear. By the time I have my movie ready to go in, the HD A2 is usually ready to go as well.
The HD A2 runs quietly while it is operating. It is easy to set up, and simple to operate.
The remote control is full of features, functions well and is nicely organized. The inset not fully framing the outer edge of some of the buttons has a bit of a "prototype" look to it in my opinion, but this in no way diminishes it's function and operability.
At roughly $360, I'm really pleased with my purchase. Adding 5 free HD DVDs by mail [so long as I don't forget] through Toshiba's current promotion makes it just right! Excellent value!
Outstanding! This is best upconverter I've seen. My Superbit discs blew me away. I'm guessing the benefits of the HD-XA2 are most noticeable with poorer quality content. I can't really imagine the Superbit content looking much better. If I had an extra $200-250 to get the XA2 I would have, but I'm not disappointed. As for HD DVD, it's flawless. Watching DVDs will be painful.
Outstanding! The improvement of TrueHD audio is significant. The biggest area of improvement I noticed was the LFE channel, but the clarity of the full range is much better, too. My subwoofer is finally showing what it's made of, and I actually feel like I'm at a movie theater. Simply awesome! Oh and this is also a superb CD player, which was really important to me. Many DVD player do a poor job with audio CDs... not this one.
HD DVD Format (5/5)
Outstanding! The HD DVD format is fabulous! It's easier and more convenient to use than DVD. The new menu is just great, a huge advantage over DVD and one I never would have appreciated until experiencing it at home. Even without the audio/video benefits, this is worth the new format.
Acceptable. Some aspects of the responsiveness of this player may annoy a few people (30 sec startup, jerky ff/rw), but the superb quality of the audio/video makes it ok.
Build Quality (5/5)
Excellent. The player is made in Japan, and it shows. Quality all around. I'm sure it will be reliable for years, if not decades.
After trying at least 5 upconverting DVD players and not being satisfied with any of them (including Oppo 981HD, Samsung 1080P7, Toshiba SD-5000), I have finally found "the one". This is a superb product, something very rare in today's market, but let's face it, not every single person will be satisfied. Read the other reviews here. Then go to a retail store and use the player in person to get a feel for it. That's the best way to be sure you're getting what you want. It relly is as good as everyone says. If you have the money, go for it! As for me, I'm in home theater heaven. What more could I ask for?
DVD upscaling is very good. Better than my OPPO 91HD. Better than Marantz DV9600.
Upgraded firmaware right away. 30-second boot-up is a bit annoying but whatever. It's just that the fan on this player is loud. So it's not like you want to leave it on all the time. So, sigh, you lose 30 seconds when you turn on the player in the evening before you watch a movie.
Also, the controls are not as snappy and fluid as I'd like, slightly laggy sometimes, but usable. Feels like young technology. But it works.
HD-DVD really is a major step up from DVD! Netflix offers both new formats. Get over it. This is a great looking player for a great price.
BTW I like that this player samples DVD's to fit the whole screen of my Plasma, so goodbye letterbox.
(TV set to FULL mode)