Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 358 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 440 reviews
on February 13, 2014
I bought my first Chromebook (the current Samsung model) last spring, and have since purchased three more (HP 11, Acer C720 4GB (upgraded to 128GB SSD), and a C720 2GB). All of the Chromebooks have performed flawlessly so far, and the regular updates to the Chrome OS has only made them better. This Toshiba is my fifth Chromebook and probably not my last. I've not had any experience with the HP 14, other than looking at it in the store, and I have never seen a Pixel. With the thousands of reviews for all the different Chromebook models here on Amazon I'm not going to get into the details of what Chromebooks can and cannot do. Rather, I would like to focus on how this model stacks up against the other current Chromebook offerings and how it performs with my various peripherals. If you have any question on this Toshiba, Chrome OS, any of the other Chromebook models, or the peripherals I refer to, please feel free to ask. There is a surprising lack of detailed reviews for this machine on the web, so while my review may be long, I wanted to give people as much information as possible.

PACKAGING AND UNBOXING: This may seem like a silly category, but while the Samsung and the HP 11 had excellent packaging, the packaging for the Acers was a bit weak (poorly placed in a thin cloth-like bag and suspended by two lousy paper egg crates on the ends). The Toshiba was nicely packaged. There was a cloth-like bag over the lid which separated the screen from the keyboard, and the whole thing was in a nicely sealed plastic bag. The machine was suspended in the box by 2 plastic spongy foam chunks that fit snugly over the ends. As soon as I flipped the lid up to remove the protective cover the Chromebook started right up. It took less than a minute to enter my Wifi password and language preferences and then it downloaded the latest version of Chrome OS. After restarting I entered my Google account info and the Toshiba downloaded my Chrome environment and began loading my apps and extensions (I have 7 pages worth of apps). While doing the startup, I had also connected the power. The brick isn't all that large, the AC plug is non-polarized, and it has no ground. The overall length from plug to tip is twelve feet (no competition there)! The DC end is straight, and quite large when compared to the downright tiny pin of the Samsung and the small pin of the Acers. I also noticed that the DC plug did not have a real positive snap on the catch (a bit vague) when you pushed it into the port on the computer. As other reviewers have noted, the lid opened nicely and stayed where I set it. I would say the lid has roughly between 130 and 150 degrees of motion. The included literature consisted of a Chrome OS quick-start guide, a Toshiba quick-start guide, and a regulatory information packet. If you are looking for more help simply click on the status area (lower right corner) and then click the question mark. There is also a Get Started guide in the apps.

OVERALL FIT AND FINISH: For a $280 computer I am more than satisfied with the fit and finish of this Chromebook. The exterior and interior are by far the most fingerprint free, really showing no signs of normal day to day handling. Contrast that to the HP 11 which seems to get fingerprinted up the worst. There is very little flex in the body when you lift the Toshiba by the front corner. I would rate the HP 11 first in rigidity followed by the Acer C720, this Toshiba, and lastly the Samsung. Just remember to never lift ANY laptop by the screen/lid. All of the seam edges feel really good on this Chromebook as well. The Acers are probably the worst in this area while the HP 11 is the best, and the Toshiba and Samsung fall comfortably in the middle. Time will tell how durable the finish is, but this usually isn't an issue for me because I really baby my tech. Overall, this is a nicely put together computer. The bottom/back has vent and exhaust slots for the fan to circulate air, but it's not as open as the Acers. The Samsung and HP 11 have no visible vent slots. The HP 11 also has no visible screws holding the case together, though they are there under the colored plastic pieces on the bottom. The Toshiba also uses nice speaker grilles instead of just slots in the bottom. The HP 11 and Samsung can get pretty warm when you're pushing them, while the Acer and Toshiba run much cooler thanks to the fan(as long as you don't obstruct the vents). And before I wrap up this section I would also like to recommend the Amazonbasics 13.3" laptop sleeve. It's well made and fits the Toshiba perfectly. It won't save it from a high fall, but it will protect the computer from scratches and the elements when you transport it.

SCREEN: I have tolerated the screen on my Acer C720, but I have never been completely happy with it. When I fired up the Toshiba I was immediately impressed with the screen. The tone was warm and reminded me of the screen on the Samsung, but with richer colors. The default background image showed really nice reds, yellows, and oranges; colors which don't always look so good on the Acers. The brightness is good, and right on par with all of our Chromebooks. The screen doesn't have the quality or the viewing angles of the HP 11, but again, it isn't nearly as cool in tone as the Acers. When you actually look at them side by side with a field of white on the screen, the Acer looks really blue. Having the same resolution in this larger panel (when compared to the 11.6" models) doesn't really seem to be an issue at all. I don't feel like I'm looking through a screen door or anything as some people would have you believe is the case. I'm generally not a fan of glossy panels, but it really works in this case. I would rate the screen a respectable second to the HP 11 and I am quite pleased with it (both in image and size) so far. Using the single color backgrounds I did a sort of quasi pixel test and found no problems. The only bad pixel we have on any of the Chromebooks is on my C720 and it isn't really a black spot or a stuck color as much as just the look of a tiny smudge on the screen (and I never really notice it in normal use). All of the LCD panels I have ever owned look better after being "burned in" so I would imagine the Toshiba panel should get a little better as I use it. The lid/housing itself is solid enough (not as flimsy as the HP 11 feels) but I would recommend, as with any laptop, that you manipulate it from the center or simultaneously from both corners.

KEYBOARD AND TOUCHPAD: The keyboard definitely has a different feel to it when compared to the other Chromebooks. The HP 11 has the best keyboard of the bunch by a wide margin. The Samsung takes second, followed by the Acers and this Toshiba, however, it wouldn't surprise me if the Toshiba knocked the Acer down a peg as I get used to it. As other reviewers have mentioned, the keyboard is a (tiny) bit stiff. I would imagine that I'll adjust to it (which I am even as I type this review), but it just doesn't seem to have the snap of the other machines. The Toshiba keyboard is nice and quiet, however, if that is a consideration for you (especially compared to the Acers, which can be quite noisy). I like the texture of the Toshiba's touchpad and it has been responding well for me. It has a visible pattern on it that offers just the right amount of resistance under your fingers. It has a similar feel to the HP 11, but isn't as sensitive. The HP 11 is the most sensitive touchpad of all the Chromebooks and it works better for me when it's set to one click below the maximum speed. I would rate the touchpad of the Toshiba as my favorite. I definitely like it better than the pad on the Acer that I use daily due to the surface texture and the larger size. Don't be too quick to judge any Chromebook's touchpad performance. Especially if you are coming from a different Chromebook or if you have a lot of Chrome apps. When my Toshiba was synchronizing to my Google account it was having an affect on the movement of the cursor (remember my 7 pages of apps). This was in no way the fault of the pad, but rather a result of all the apps being downloaded and installed. Once the sync was complete everything smoothed up.

PERFORMANCE: I've done everything with this Chromebook that I've done with all of our Chromebooks and it is seems just as quick as my 4GB C720. To be honest, I never really noticed a difference in performance between the 2GB and 4GB Acers in day to day use, so I wasn't surprised with how well this machine runs. From being shut down to displaying the logon screen takes the Haswells maybe 5 seconds max, and from sleep to logon is about as fast as you can open the lid. Web pages load quickly and scroll very smoothly. Using the example of Facebook, on the Haswells the page loads quickly and the scrolling smooths out quickly as well, the HP 11 and Samsung take longer to load and the page doesn't scroll as smoothly. The Haswell machines are excellent performers when compared to the ARM machines like the Samsung and HP 11 which get the job done, but are definitely in need of a performance upgrade (which I believe is right around the corner). You should notice improvement as pages you visit are cached, and performance may also improve as the system gets broken in. I added a 128GB SSD to my C720 4GB which works great, and I'm hoping to do the same with this Toshiba. I just want to wait until I can find more information about the internals. If it uses the same type SSD drive as the Acers it would be a worthy and likely simple upgrade (though it would void my warranty).

PORTS: Both USB 3 ports seem to be functioning just fine, although they fit a bit tighter than the ports on the other Chromebooks. I tested them with my Logitech mouse, a 32GB flash drive, and several portable HDDs (as well as a few other devices I'll mention later). Connecting my Android phone charged it, but I couldn't browse it or transfer any files. The biggest surprise came when I went to plug in an SD card; it went in ALL THE WAY! For the Chromebooks with an SD card slot it is nice to be able to add a large amount of local storage for a small amount of money. The biggest problem was that the slot on the Samsung and the Acer (no slot on HP 11) do not allow the card to seat fully into the machine. And having to dismount and remove your card every time you wanted to case your computer can be a real annoyance. The SD card slot is also spring loaded. Thank you Toshiba for this simple pleasure. I will never understand why I can get an SD card all the way into my tiny digital camera, but not into my 17" HP laptop or any of my other Chromebooks. I also connected the Toshiba to my TV via HDMI and it worked as well as my C720.

SPEAKERS, HEADPHONE/MIC JACK AND WEBCAM: As other reviewers have mentioned issues with the sound I have been running a constant stream of music off of Google Play Music or playing sound from videos for the entire time I have been using this computer. I am happy to report that I have not had any issues as of yet. I have never had sound issues with any of our Chromebooks that I can report either. The speakers are located on the bottom in the front and they can play pretty loud. The HP 11 speakers may edge out the other Chromebooks simply because they fire up through the keyboard, but I am always using my computer on a table or lap desk (and with headphones or earbuds more often than not) so muffled sound isn't an issue for me. The sound through the headphone jack is really good as well. I have never used a headset/mic with any of the Chromebooks so I really couldn't comment on how well that works. I used the webcam to make a Hangouts call to my brother and it worked. If you do a lot of video calls on Hangouts or you like to play with a webcam I would suggest getting a better one. According to the help files, Chrome OS can support USB webcams (just not the software they come with). I would suggest some research before purchasing a webcam to see if it's compatible.

PRINTING: Because I have had my other Chromebooks connected to my Canon cloud printer I was able to print without doing any additional setup. If you don't have a cloud ready printer it is still really easy to connect a Chromebook to a printer using a the Chrome web browser and a PC or Mac as as a host. It took me all of 5 minutes to set mine up that way with my old printer. With the cost of ink, I tend to print a lot less now days. I actually prefer to "print" things as a PDF file. I have 115 gigs of storage on my cloud drive so I may as well use it.

CHARGING AND BATTERY LIFE: I mentioned the Toshiba charger in an earlier section, but I also wanted to elaborate on the differences in how the Chromebooks charge and how they drain. Like I said earlier, the cords and brick for this Toshiba add up to a total length of 12 feet! That's nice if you don't travel a lot with your Chromebook, but it's a problem if you have to carry that mess around with you. On the positive side, the charger includes a velcro strap that has more than enough length to wrap the cords into a manageable bundle. The cords on the Acer add up to 9 feet. The micro USB charger that comes with the HP 11 is the shortest (6 feet) and most compact of the bunch (the transformer is only 1.5 x 1.5 x 1), but it is a lot easier to carry around. Still, the convenience that everyone talks about in being able to charge your Chromebook with the ever so common micro USB chargers we all have is grossly overrated. The HP 11 takes far longer to fully charge than any of our other Chromebooks (around 3 to 4 hours give or take), and it seems to drain the fastest as well. If you try to charge it with a typical phone charger it will take around 8 hours to complete a full charge. The real icing on the cake though, is that unless you are charging it with the Google charger it will not charge while you are using it. It won't drain as slow, but it will not charge. All of the other Chromebooks we have with their big old bricks fully charge in around 2 hours (I just charged the Toshiba from 3% to full in 1:40). I generally run the Chromebooks at about 70 percent brightness; sometimes lower if the room is darker. With that in mind, I have found the HP 11 to have the shortest battery life (probably due to the display looking so good when you turn it up). The second shortest time on battery would be the Samsung. As far as I can tell, the Acers and the Toshiba seem to have pretty much the same battery life, with a possible edge going to the Toshiba. If you want a machine that will run all day I would recommend the Acers or the Toshiba. I am not going to state time in hours because there are just too many variables which influence battery life. My ratings are based on using the Chromebooks the way I use them, and observing the typical battery life. If you really want to hypermile the battery on a Chromebook you need to turn down the brightness and ditch the streaming. I have gotten over 10 hours off of Toshiba when I dimmed the display and didn't stream video.

WIFI, BLUETOOTH, AND CHROMECAST: The wifi on all our Chromebooks works really well. We dumped cable a few years ago, so we rely on over-the-air television, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, and other websites/streaming services for our entertainment and they all work well on all the Chromebooks (though they work better and faster on the Toshiba and the Acers). I have a 50 meg internet profile with Time Warner because 30 just wasn't enough. The only machine I have issue with on rare occasions is my C720 (it will drop and start searching for connection). I have used the Chromebooks on public wifi as well, and have never failed to connect. The Toshiba bluetooth works good with my Bose Soundlink Mini, and my son uses his Samsung Bluetooth with a Jawbone Mini Jambox. The only other bluetooth device I used was an old mouse. It worked good, but I picked up a Logitech mouse to replace it. Because we don't have cable, I sometimes cast (to a Google Chromecast) CBS shows that I've missed. Casting a browser window works okay, but you need a strong wifi connection. Tab casting is still in beta and can be hit or miss. I have had better luck casting apps that the Chromecast supports because most of those apps will go online and fetch the content you select. This is the case with Netflix, Hulu Plus, and YouTube as far as I can tell. Mostly though, I cast music from Google Play Music to my home theater system. Even that works better with my Android phone than it does with the Chromebook. The Chromecast device and casting to it have gotten better since it was put on the market, but it still has a ways to go in my opinion. The best option to get content from the Toshiba, Acers, or Samsung to your television is via HDMI. You can connect the HP 11 with an HDMI cable but you will also need a SlimPort adapter, and those adapters plug into the Micro USB charge slot, so you can't charge while you're connected.

PERIPHERALS: All of the peripheral devices I discuss in this section have been used on all of our Chromebooks and I have tested them all on the new Toshiba (they all work quite well on it). If you have the need or the desire to run your Chromebook with a wired ethernet connection you need only purchase a USB ethernet adapter. I have a $15 Plugable brand USB 2 ethernet adapter that I've used on occasion(wifi issues with ATT 2Wire modem). It plugs right in and has worked well for me (and it's a lot bigger than the pictures on Amazon would lead you to believe). I have a couple older WD Passport HDDs and a 2TB WD Elements HDD that I connect from time to time and they all work fine (though I would like to see improvements to the Chrome OS file browser). I've used all sorts of SD cards, USB drives, and even a USB card reader too. If you have a newer digital camera (I have a Canon 330 Elph and a Nikon P7100) you can connect it to the Chromebook to download your photos using the Google Plus photos app. It can be set to start automatically when it detects the camera and you can have it put your photos in the cloud. I should also note that when I take pictures with my Android phone the photos are automatically put in the cloud and will show up on the Chromebook like a minute after you take them. I think if you have an iPhone you can achieve the same results by installing the Google photo app or the google drive app(I am totally off Apple so I can't say for sure). If your camera is not recognized you can always use the SD card slot or a USB card reader for other types of cards. The peripherals I use the most, thought, with the Chromebooks are my DACs (Digital to Analog Converters). Chromebooks, along with Google Play Music or any of the music services (Spotify, Pandora, iHeart, etc.) work great for streaming music. However, if you want to power some quality headphones or even some good earbuds and improve the sound of your music, you need a better DAC than what's onboard. I have two NuForce DACs that I use with the Chromebooks. Both units connect to a USB port, take the digital audio stream, convert it to analog, and amplify the sound. The first one is a Nuforce Icon uDAC 3. It's a more portable unit that uses the USB power operate. It works good with quality earbuds and efficient headphones. All you have to do is plug it into a USB port on the Chromebook and it is automatically selected as the default audio device. The second DAC is a Nuforce Icon DAC. This one is a larger unit that needs to be plugged in, but is has even better sound than the little uDAC and a lot more power. You can also use the DACs as a pre-amplifier when connecting to a receiver or a set of powered desktop speakers. I use mine with my Logitech Z2300 2.1 speaker system and the sound is phenomenal.

So that's my review. If you made it this far, I thank you. And, I hope I've helped you in your research. If you're really anti-Chromebook, just remember that the more these devices are purchased and used by consumers, the better your Windows or Apple OS machines should get. I will be sure to update this review if something happens to come up with the Toshiba; good or bad. And again, if you have any questions or comments please post them as I would be happy to chat.

UPDATE 2-20-2014: The Toshiba has won me over big-time, and my son is loving his hand-me-down Acer C720. I was a bit disappointed this week when I learned that the SSD was soldered onto the motherboard, rendering it pretty much non-replaceable. I can also confirm that while the motherboard does have 2 available "slots" for adding memory, it would also have to be soldered in. Still, I did receive my Transcend 64GB SDXC memory card and it really works great. No problems playing back 1080p video files from the card and I can leave it in the slot since it doesn't stick out like it would have done in my Acer. Since I started using the Toshiba I have never said to myself, "boy, I wish this or that was as good as my Acer", so any worries about any aspect of the performance are gone. I really appreciate the extra real estate the screen provides, and the picture seems to be settling in nicely now that it has a lot more hours on it. I have now adjusted to the keyboard, and I would rank it a solid second to the HP 11. When I went back and tried the keyboard on the Acer it felt rather cramped to me, which is funny because when I first got the Toshiba it felt really big. So hey, don't judge the keyboard until you give it a bit of time. The battery life is awesome, and it charges in under 2 hours. Luckily, I haven't had any sound issues like a couple reviewers have reported, and I'm glad because I like the Toshiba's sound quality. The high frequencies are much more present than in the Acer, and even though the speakers point to the bottom, the sound feels like its radiating up through the keyboard like the HP 11. I have also been happy with how well the Bluetooth works with my Soundlink Mini. The webcam is pretty bad in all but the best light, so I've ordered a Logitech C525 webcam to see how it works. I will update when I test the webcam in case anyone is interested.

WEBCAM UPDATE 2-21-2014: So, I got the Logitech C525 webcam today and I ran it on the Toshiba. The quality of the picture is GREATLY IMPROVED over the built-in unit. With the Webcam Toy app I had to choose the new camera in the Flash Player app that asks you to authorize the camera when you first launch it. With hangouts, I had to go into the settings and choose the Logitech as the default device. It was easy to find. If you do a lot of video calling or recording I would highly recommend a small investment in a better webcam. It's also nice because you can point it around the room without having to move the computer. If anyone can recommend a good recording app in the Chrome Web Store I would appreciate that as well.

CHROME OS UPDATE: With the latest version of Chrome OS being installed on my Chromebooks (version 33), I notice that when I connect my Android phone the Google+ Photo app will launch and ask me if I would like to upload my pictures. For me, this is redundant as every picture I take with my phone is backed up into my Cloud already, but for some this would be a nice added feature of Chrome OS. However, I am still not able to browse the files and do transfers between my phone and the Chromebook.
8383 comments| 465 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2016
AWFUL! The Chromebook is so flimsy that when it's open, the screen section is too heavy and the thing tips over! It's junk! I ordered one that was supposed to be "refurbished" but don't waste your money! It was impossible to even get working and to STAY working for more than 5 minutes at a time! I went over the time limit to return due to illness which didn't matter to the seller. So I wasted $140!!! WASTE of MONEY!!
on May 20, 2014
I got this to sit by the couch for the time when there is nothing on TV - which, it turns out, is almost all the time, I have a lap top and a tablet but the lap top was too heavy and the tablet was difficult for me as it has no key board. Well, it does but it's inconvenient. My chrome book does every thing I want it to do and probably more but I don't know it , yet. Anyway, it was worth the price and is very, very fast.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on June 4, 2014
thought I had done my homework and selected a chromebook.Amazon had a great price so I selected the toshiba.have had toshiba products in the past and love there quaility.It was factory sealed and well packaged,new.Followed the instructions and it did indeed come on when I opened the lid with this message "chrome os missing or damaged".I read instructions on how to "fix" the problem and decided against doing so.way to complicated and most of the time from what I read it will happen over and over again even with the "fix".This product is well built and sturdy.The problem is a Google Chrome issue,not toshiba.Amazon sent a return shipping label and as soon as it was processed at ups they gave a refund on my card.Now thats service!
on June 3, 2014
I bought this because I wanted something light and easy for web surfing and it's good for that. It has limitations though and I need to figure some things out like how to stream my Amazon prime videos. I bought a book on this and hopefully I'll be able to work out the little issues like that. Over all it does what I want.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
We already have several Chromebooks around the house but we ordered Toshiba's 13-incher because someone actually sat on the older Samsung Chromebook and cracked the display. I do like this Toshiba but I am going to return it because, while it comes with many features that would theoretically make it 'better' than my favorite HP Chromebook 11 or our cracked Samsung or our still healthy Acer, it's lacking in a few that in my view - and this is my view only - make a Chromebook a Chromebook and make Chromebooks such great devices.

TOSHIBA vs. OUR OTHER CHROMEBOOKS (especially the HP)

As I noted above, I am now returning Toshiba's Chromebook but, for anyone who's shopping for one, please read why because some of its features that don't mean much to me may turn out to make good reasons for someone else to pick this model over whatever else.

Toshiba's entry comes with a number of improvements over HP's Chromebook 11 and it distinguishes itself from Acer's C720P Chromebook by its larger display. If we are going to do an HP vs. Toshiba's comparison, this is where Toshiba comes ahead:

- Faster processor - Toshiba's is without a doubt significantly speedier than HP's Chromebook 11 thanks to its Haswell processor. Tabs open and update faster. The 11 Acer C720P is also Haswell-based.
- Longer battery life - I have to admit, while my HP will easily play a 2-hour movie off Netflix, the battery would be more than half-drained in the process. I was able to play two movies on the Toshiba and there was still enough life for a couple of hours of Web surfing.
- More, better ports - Toshiba's 2 USB 3.0 ports beat HP's slower 2 USB 2.0, then there's a full HDMI and a memory card reader slot on the Toshiba while all HP has is a nice but not as capable SlimPort output.
- Larger display - 13 inches is larger than 11 inches.
- Fingerprint-proof body - unlike HP's smooth, slick body, Toshiba's grooved body finish is not only fingerprint-proof but also allows for a better grip.

However, fast CPUs, physical expansion ports and a 13-inch display are not why I am in love with Chromebooks - I do appreciate the long battery life though. I happen to prefer a Chromebook such as HPs or Acer's for a number of reasons and here is why I prefer HP's beautiful 11 inch product over Toshiba's.

- Toshiba's is heavy - it's exactly one pound or almost 50% heavier than HP's Chromebook. I happen to use my Chromebook on my lap, on the couch, in bed or to carry it around the house held in one hand and one pound makes a big difference. Watching a movie in bed or checking the weather in the morning as I wake up or browsing through the news while I was watching a movie on the big living room TV was awkward with the Toshiba. Because it's... heavy.
- Toshiba is larger, thicker - 11 inches vs 13 inches may not seem like such a big difference but the 11-inch form factor may be the sweet spot when it comes to size of little computer gadgets. Something larger becomes more difficult to carry around the house or at least that's my experience.
- Proprietary charger - I can use most USB chargers with my HP's Chromebook but Toshiba's comes with its own. Yes, Toshiba's longer battery life makes it less likely that it needs a charge while in the middle of doing something but the ability to charge your Chromebook even when the original charger was misplaced or stopped working is a major convenience.
- HP's has a stronger body - and it's not a subjective impression entirely. HPs Magnesium chassis makes a well put together, solid little computer. Toshiba's larger, heavier body by comparison appears to be more fragile and less durable.
- HPs display is vastly superior. It's not just brighter with more lively colors but it's also viewable from a much wider angle - practically from almost any angle. By comparison, Toshiba's display is dull. Add to the superior HP display the fact that Toshiba's has the exact same resolution as HP's Chromebook but the pixels are spread on a large display and you therefore get fewer 'dots per inch' on Toshiba's machine and that's not good.
- HPs speakers sound better - yes, it's almost a subjective comment but everyone who listened to both agreed with me so maybe it's not too subjective.

And then there are some of the subjective criteria. The HP is a very, very pretty little computer, I will even go as far as calling it 'beautiful'. I know, 'design' is subjective but once you've experienced such a slick Chromebook as HP's you may not be happy with one of the more 'industrial' designs. I prefer HPs design and finish, its responsive keyboard and trackpad to Toshiba's. Toshiba's body feels 'cheap' and rings hollow whenever I hit the keys or I hit (click) on the pad. It's as if the body has thin, not so sturdy walls that buckle a little when pressed.

If the above sounds almost like an indictment on Toshiba's product, don't read it that way. I am still rating it as a 4 stars (I like it) because, while not the ideal Chromebook for me, this is still a Chromebook and that's a good thing. Get the Toshiba if speed, battery life, ports, and a larger display are what matters to you.

For anyone not a Chromebook user yet, I am adding a couple of sections on what Chromebooks are and what they are good for. Whatever follows may not be very interesting to anyone who's already used one.

_____________________________________________________

WHY A CHROMEBOOK?

There's so much to say here but let me make a quick summary. And never forget that we are talking about an 'under 300' device here because, yes, anything that costs 3-4-5 times as much should do better most of the time.

˕ My Chromebook is my most used computer excluding work hours and by 'computer' I mean PCs, laptops and tablets.
˕ Malware, spyware, adware-free. Since nothing is really 'installed' on the Chromebook, I can't see how one would ever be infected. I am now using my Chromebook to open suspicious emails or click on dubious URLs that I don't dare touch from a laptop.
˕ Extremely safe OS. I don't know if this is common knowledge but Google is constantly challenging hackers to crack their OS. As far as I know, Chrome OS wasn't cracked yet.
˕ Easy to share among any number of users without any concerns of compromising privacy. If you have a Google account, you simply sign in and you are going to be within your own, personal environment.
˕ Constantly updated and upgraded. Google updates Chrome OS every few weeks and I found my Chromebook actually getting better all the time rather than slowly fall into obsolescence. HP's Chromebook will not replace Samsung's, it will be used by another family member who really, really wanted one after watching my happy relationship with our first one.
˕ Nearly maintenance free. Whenever I don't use a tablet or even a laptop for a while, they tend to get very busy for a while once I turn them back on. Tablets, especially, are almost impossible to use until all those dozens of updates/upgrades process. Not the case for Chromebooks. Whatever upgrades may take place don't hit my Chromebook. Whenever I call up an app, I get it in its latest version.
˕ The attached keyboard helps a lot. Yes, you can pair a keyboard and even a mouse to a tablet but the Chromebook's keyboard is always there, it negates the need of a stand or even some protecting case.
˕ Chrome OS is streamlined and efficiently focused where it matters, on the everyday uses most of us need a 'computer' most of the time.
˕ Chrome OS being such a streamlined OS, browsing and running apps on a Chromebook is in fact faster than off a PC/laptop/tablet of equivalent specs.
˕ Relatively low prince, 11.6" display and light weight seem to be just about right for something that typically you'd be using to browse the Web while watching TV or take to and from school.
˕ Chromebooks come with a free 100GB in Google's cloud for two years these days. Cloud storage is entirely optional and I wouldn't use it for anything sensitive but it's a good way to share and store data that's not important or confidential in nature.

WHY NOT A CHROMEBOOK?

Yes, Chromebooks can't do everything. Google's productivity suites notwithstanding, they are mainly and they are best at media consumption rather than production. Nobody should buy a Chromebook and expect to be able to edit video or perform some heavy word processing or do some hard-core gaming. There are other machines and devices for such tasks. My experience is that a Chromebook can't do 'everything'. Tablets are more portable, PCs and laptops are more powerful but, to me, my Chromebook is the most fun to use and it's likely to stay this way. I am not going to call it my 'second' or 'third' or 'first' computer but, objectively, it's the one most use outside business hours if what we measure is 'hours'.

>> Brush your teeth, it's the law! <<
55 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2014
Disclaimer -- been looking for perfect Chromebook which doesn't exist for now. Have brought many chromebooks and returned then within a day of usage. This is one of them.

Pros:
-- Cheap price and thats it.

Cons:
-- Horrible build quality and screen.
on February 25, 2014
I started the shift away from my pride and joy Macbook Pro to Chromebooks with Samsung's ARM entry in late 2012. Compared to Samsung's model, Toshiba's Intel Haswell-based Chromebook is better in every way. Most striking is the performance difference. My Samsung Chromebook proved to be a solid workhouse, but always felt a little underpowered no matter what the task. Not so here. Everything is just fast.

Toshiba's Chromebook is solidly built in a plastic Macbook-Air like case, nice screen for this price point, great keyboard, nice camera, and decent speakers. The buttonless touchpad is functional, but certainly won't challenge the stuff Apple is putting out. The battery life is amazing, averaging 10-12 hours with moderate use. Plus, with a little bit of tech-fu on your end, you can turn this hardware into a full-blown Linux laptop side-by-side with ChromeOS.

For a techie like me, this is the perfect platform at a dirt-cheap price.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
VINE VOICEon June 13, 2014
It's been out of the box for 30 minutes and I'm already infuriated.

This machine looks very slick and started right up, but it's covered with huge promotional stickers.

One sticker promotes Google Drive and the other promotes the advantages of owning a Chromebook.

These kind of stickers are common on consumer electronics, and should easily peel right off.

Not these stickers! They are huge and super-glued down and cannot be removed.

WHY?

This is the kind of thing that Apple would never do (i.e., cover a beautiful machine with stupid permanent stickers).

I will update this review later, but as of right now, I'm scrubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing...

Trying to get all the glue and paper sticker residue off the machine.

So angry.

UPDATE: Went to the hardware store and bought a bottle of Goo Gone. That got 95% of the glue off, but this glue is so tough and sticky, there is still a residue after several cleanings. Again, I ask the question: WHY? Why use super glue on promotional stickers that should be temporary? So far the machine is fun and I'm enjoying it. Toshiba needs to figure this sticker thing out.

UPDATE: I'm loving the Chromebook. It is the perfect machine for 98% of what I do on the web. My Microsoft laptop will go on the shelf unless I need Photoshop or video editing. However, I'm going to leave this review at one-star because Toshiba really needs to address this STUPID sticker situation. Super gluing those stickers on to this machine shows huge disrespect for the customer experience. Toshiba needs to address this.

UPDATE: I'm updating this review to three-stars because I really like the Chromebook. The keyboard is nice, the screen is decent, and speakers are excellent. The touchpad takes a little bit of getting used to. But overall, it's a very nice machine for the price. I'm still upset that Toshiba super-glued a bunch of junk stickers all over the machine, but hopefully word will get passed along and they will stop doing this.
1010 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2014
Awesome for the price. It doesn't feel cheap like other netbooks I've owned and earlier Chromebooks I've seen - I think Toshiba did an awesome job picking the casing - the nubby design gives it grip and allows the use of an attractively subtly shining plastic without showing fingerprints. I wish my Nexus 5 had a case like this (while soft touch is great and grippy, it soaks up oils from your hands). It has a nice bright display, is slim and light, has up to 9 hours of battery life, and is great for surfing the web, doesn't feel sluggish to me at all. You can tell Google's designed it for the web. There are dedicated buttons for things you do all the time:

- searching
- forward/back/refresh web page
- full screen web page
- change volume
- change brightness

...instead of having to press some combination of keys to change those things.

The long battery life is great because you can use it all day and charge it when you go to bed. It's just a very clean experience. That said, I use many Google services (Gmail, Drive, Docs, Play Music) so I already like how they do things. Do they have your data? Yes. I don't have a problem with that because it comes with benefits.

It does come with QuickOffice Beta which allows you to edit Word, Excel, Powerpoints natively, and that was an attraction for me - but it's definitely still beta. The formatting didn't look right on the Word doc I opened, so if you must have ability to accurately edit Office docs - it's not there yet.

What would I most want them to improve? The keyboard is a bit stiffer than I would like but after I am no longer comparing it to my other laptop (Asus Zenbook UX21A) I doubt I'll notice. The power brick, while relatively small and light, is a cheap two-cord affair that would be bulky to travel with - not the single cord design where the brick is attached to the plug like you get with an Apple or Asus Zenbooks and eeePCs or Acers. Disappointing cost-cutting move, but I can live with it given the long battery life. At least it has Velcro for cable management. Lastly, no delete key, backspace only. But you can delete using Alt+Backspace, and I'll probably eventually get used to having only one key for deleting; after all, there's no delete key on my Nexus 5 soft keyboard, and I've never noticed that. It's only in comparison to what I've been using (Windows).