Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Shawn Colvin All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on January 15, 2012
Got this for my 85 year old mothers Apt. She needed a VCR for her years of video tapes and a DVD for her Netflix subscription. This was easy for her to set up and is intuitive to operate.
0Comment| 156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 12, 2012
This is the 2nd one of these for me and even though the VCR is fast fading, I still have a few that need to be watched. The real bright side of this product is the simplicity of set up.
I would buy this again and I do recommend it.
11 comment| 243 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 15, 2011
The Toshiba SD-V296 DVD/VCR combo is the perfect product for those of us who still have a collection of VHS Video we want to be able to watch from time to time as well as DVD's. The price is right, it's great looking and very simple to attach and use. I am ecstatic with the purchaseToshiba SD-V296 Tunerless DVD VCR Combo
88 comments| 340 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 18, 2016
I still have an old analog TV (yes, really), so I'm unable to record anything on VHS with this, but that's okay. I just bought because I happen to have a lot of old VHS tapes with stuff I recorded, so this lets me view them, while also being able to view new DVD's.

I bought one September 23, 2014, and it worked fine until May 15, 2016, when a DVD got stuck in it. I put it in and it would start up but not play or eject. Even when I tried turning the player off, it could come back on after a couple of minutes. That was weird. Finally I had to unplug the darn thing, and then replugging it in I was able to eject the DVD. But at the point I decided to go ahead and buy a new player.

So this is the 2nd one I'm buying of this brand. I figured I already know everything about how to operate it, so that's easy. And it was cheap enough, likely due to it being listed as "discontinued" now. Got it yesterday, took it home last, so far so good (that same DVD that is playing fine). If it lasts another 18 months, that will be worth it.
on January 20, 2012
The items came fast. Ordered 2 for our school and both work great. Both play well and the best part is that came with rca cables needed to hook up. I did not have to buy anything extra to get it up and running.
22 comments| 151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 13, 2015
I bought this Toshiba SD-V296 in July 2014 via Amazon for 85.00, before it was discontinued. Recently, I have wanted to buy another one, realizing I love the sound of VHS analog compared to digital, preferring VHS tapes to DVD disks. Via Amazon, the price for this product has gone up around 35 dollars in the last week, from around $135 to $170. This pushed me in the direction of another online business today...and I made my purchase. This discontinued item is selling out fast. Analog VHS Hi-Fi Stereo Audio is superior to digital, in my opinion, even as the digital audio and video is top of the line for this technological wonder that remains a bargain, even at this price. When the new high end VCR's are all gone, not to mention all of the other new VCR's...and we're about there, people will wish they had snatched up one of these excellent VCR DVD Combos. I listened to and watched the Beatles' film "Help" this a.m. via this Toshiba, with headphones and the VCR portion of this quality machine. A truly excellent experience...the quality, depth, clarity, and realism. A "musical" unit worth buying, even at twice this price. But thankfully, it's not that expensive. Yet.

VHS tape is as close to Reel To Reel Quality analog as you can get. Cassettes come next. Then vinyl. As far as digital goes, CD's are best...and then digital "files"...some of which are higher quality than others. Anyway, mark my words, analog will be back, tape will be back, and buying this unit is an investment well worth making. For a truly quality and life like listening experience. And for the future when its value will be much more fully understood and appreciated.

PLAYABLE DISC TYPES
DVD CONVENIENCE
Parental Lock
VCR VIDEO
Video Heads 4
Record Speeds SP/SLP (EP)
SQPB
RCA-Video Out 1 rear - both
RCA-Video In 1 front & 1 rear
L-R Audio Out 1 rear
L-R Audio Inputs 1 front & 1 rear
Coaxial Digital Audio Output 1 (DVD only)
on August 1, 2013
We received our order as expected, we were able to install it our selves and have been watching movies old and new ever since. Now we are the old people living in an old people's housing ,if we can do anyone can.
on November 21, 2015
I bought it primarily for the VCR recording function. So far I have been some what disappointed. Some bands of VHS tapes do OK but others do not. Which tells me the mechanisms in the VCR function are cheap and cheaply put together. I am expecting it to fail at any moment. I have some old Mitsubishi machines that totally out perform this new construction. One of them is nearly 20 years old. I have had a couple of other older machines that I had to replace because they had minor expected maintenance needs for which Mitsubishi no longer makes the parts. Plus, it is impossible to find anyone that will even work on them any longer. These new cheaply made machines are just disposable. The only way to use a disc for recording more than once is to use an RW. But they can only be erased a few of times before they have to be replaced. VHS can be recorded over many more times.
on April 30, 2014
I bought this for my parents, really my mom. She is not very good with computer's or new technology, she still loves to use a VCR but with all new movies being DVD only for the last 15 plus years she's had to learn to move on to new products. Bought the combo because she still has hundred's of movies she loves on VHS but a lot of new ones on DVD, so the combo is the way to go.
This wasn't hard to hook up, very solid product. My only issue is that it did not come with any of the cables needed to get it running so I had to go out and purchase the S:Audio outlet cord. Other than that, very happy.
on September 7, 2017
Perfect--absolutely works with my new Smart tv for all my old favorite DVDs VCRs and home videos--Thanks to Amazon and the Geek squad--first on the list was compilation of all the old family movies ie wedding 1st baby etc as a gift, done at a studio , from my daughter --nothing in sequence--only those that were there could follow it--as they say--Priceless--next watched- Shirley Valentine-VCR--the original chick flick-a little racy in the day--then an old Pride and Predjudice video--circa 1987---Soo Happy with it !-----AND Amazon--love you guys--so Helpful--my guilt is assuaged with you opening brick and mortar distribution stores and now a USA HQ in the works--gotta get our middle class back
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse