Lyft Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 11-20 of 1,174 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,256 reviews
on October 29, 2013
Worth every penny to play a VHS tape again cleanly with no tracking issues and excellent sound. I use this player to rip old VHS to my computer and the quality is excellent. It was brand new in box, not a refurb so I can fully justify the price. There are a fair amount of options to hook up with, rgb, rca, s-vid, coax. It is plug and play with any TV really and looks surprisingly great on my plasma TV. The DVD side also works great and upscales a tad. It's no blu-ray but I'll definitely take it! If you need a VHS player or a combo player in the age where they are hard to come by, this is the one!
on April 13, 2014
Both DVD and VCR players worked perfectly out of the box. This product met all of my expectations, replacing my old DVD and VCR players, in one compact unit. Installation instructions, however, need to make it dramatically clear, in BOLD, that connections from the unit must go to the VIDEO side of TV inputs, and NOT the TUNER-CHANNEL side. I labored for over an hour staring at a hissing no signal TV screen, thinking something was badly wrong, until I realized my error in connecting to the Tuner-Channel inputs instead of the Video inputs. Like DUHHH, once you discover your error, but stressful in its discovery. Regarding the Remote Control, it has one serious design flaw. Critical VCR buttons, PLAY-STOP-REWIND-FORWARD are large and beautifully set apart on the remote, impossible to mistake for any other function buttons. Critical DVD buttons for ENTER-UP-DOWN-LEFT-RIGHT menu navigation, however, are maddeningly identical to the cluster of identically-sized buttons that surround them, making errors in pressing the right buttons a frustrating and stressful common occurrence. This design flaw cries out for a fix!
on April 19, 2017
Didn't hook up this machine for a while after receiving. However, once installed, it works perfectly and we are very satisfied with this player. We purchased this DVD/VCR player as we do not wish to record any programs. It is simply used as intended as a player only. Good purchase.
on August 15, 2017
I'd love to give this 5 stars, because it plays both DVDs and VHS, but it plays my VHS without the clarity of the one I had previously bought in the store. It originally was alarming because every time I'd put in a VHS it was not as good a screen image as the one in the store I'd purchased before. Suffice to say, I got use to it, and I'm very happy to have it because it plays both. I bought it about two years ago. Send it back for another one if it doesn't play perfect. Don't settle as I did, though I'm happy now. (Just less spoiled). I think these are refurbished. I can't remember what it said. Overall a good deal compared to the price at Best Buy.
on June 6, 2014
I purchased the products (2) as new, but received two units that were both in used condition. Unfortunately I am not able to return them in the time allowed as they are in cabins 4 hours away. The one unit works, but the other I was not able to make work yet. The remote may also be not functioning. I contacted the seller-Discounts Jungle and they offered for me to send it back for a full refund, but like I said, I left them behind and can't get them in time. The upsetting part was that the seller just flat out lied to me about them being new. Normally I would just return them as I don't like to give my money to outfits such as this one. This one time I will just have to take the loss. Other than that, if the units were new, they may be worth 40 dollars each, but are overpriced to be sure. I plan to avoid Discounts Jungle in the future.
on October 17, 2016
This is my fourth Toshiba DVD player - I use a DR430KU to record band rehearsals (a mixer feeds audio, old D8 camera feeds video) and a second one is part of a dubbing setup, copying DVDs or old VHS from an SD-V296KU. Needing a VHS player for a home theater setup I didn't hesitate to scoop up another V296. I've been using VHS recorders as audio decks ever since I hear of Frank Zappa recording the LA Philharmonic on a Betamax with a stereo mic. (He wrote a score, "rented" the orchestra for an hour - they came an hour early on rehearsal day.) I wore out two Akai decks and a high end GE (1986 to about 2004), had bad luck with 2 out of 3 Lite-on units (lowest price usually leads to lowest satisfaction) and settled on Toshiba units around 2006.
review image
on May 13, 2014
I know the world is changing to Blu-ray but I have not turned that corner and have many movies that are both in DVD and VHS format. The problem is having a player and this one fills the bill. Easy setup for me who is not a technogeek. Ease of use makes this a great player for those who just want to sit back and watch that favorite movie. If you are looking for a unit that can do all the fancy stuff keep looking but for the bucks this is my pick above all the others. The transaction was fast and shipping great. Came well packed. Will do business with these folks again.
on May 6, 2012
I and a bit disappointed with this purchase. First the svideo connection is only for the DVD player and hence a little less quality for the displayed picture. This is my fault in just reading a faulty summary with out fully researching the specifications. And mostly I was disappointed in that I paid more than the retail price for a new unit and although it looked new in the package the documentation with it indicates it was refurbished. And the third point is that it came a couple weeks later than originally estimated.
on August 4, 2014
In case you were interested in using both the VCR and DVD playback using the component connection, you can't. They are completely different circuits and use separate connectors. I didn't realize this when I bought it. The only way to get both on one connection to the TV is to use the composite connector, which isn't the best for DVD playback. As far as the build quality and stuff, it seems OK. It comes packaged with a remote, batteries for the remote and a composite (red, white, and yellow) cable.
on March 15, 2011
The Toshiba SD-V296 DVD/VCR combo is the perfect product for those of us who still have a collection of VHS Video we want to be able to watch from time to time as well as DVD's. The price is right, it's great looking and very simple to attach and use. I am ecstatic with the purchaseToshiba SD-V296 Tunerless DVD VCR Combo
88 comments| 340 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse