Top critical review
15 people found this helpful
Be warned in advance !
on November 30, 2002
This is another poor model from Toshiba made for first time buyers.
Let me give 12 reasons to buy it,
1. You want a laptop.
2. You don't have much money to spend.
3. You don't care about its 45 mins battery life.
4. You don't want or don't care for performance.
5. You have never heard of USB 2.0 or Firewire or Bluetooth.
6. You don't care for the noise or heat it will generate.
7. You don't care about system instability and overheating problems.
8. You don't care for graphics performance.
9. You don't want to play any PC games.
10. You don't care about its 8 pound weight or big size.
11. You don't care about irritating and nosiy Hard Disk.
12. You are a student and will install Linux on it anyways !
Let me give you 12 reasons NOT to buy it,
1. Uses a desktop Celeron processor (very cheap), not Mobile Celeron or Mobile Pentium. This means laptop will get very hot, its fan will be very noisy, will use too much power and have much lower performance.
2. No USB 2.0, firewire or wirless access. What use is 1.5 GHz processor if you can't connect it to any other device at any reasonably fast speed ? Will you wait for an hour to burn a CD on a external CD-RW connected to an old USB 1.1 port on this ?
3. It bigger and bulkier than previous models. Again this is partly because of a desktop Celeron being used in this. Desktop CPU means more space for cooling it down etc.
4. Uses a slower memory speed, way below today's standard. Again this notebook won't have any fast performance with mp3 or multimedia stuff because of this. You will even have trouble finding the memory at this low speed when upgrading !
5. The keyboard isn't same a desktop, so keys are placed at different positions, some missing. But this might a case with most laptops though.
6. The touchpad isn't very great. You will end up buying a USB mouse.
7. Doesn't have older serial port, PS2 ports etc. Nor does it have any thing like Bluetooth or Firewire or USB 2. Yes you can buy a PCMCIA card for say wireless access or USB 2 or Bluetooth. But there's only on PCMCIA slot in it !
8. Because desktop Celeron runs so hot, you won't be able to use it a "lap"-top to avoid burning your skin. Beleive it gets very very hot !
9. The hard disk is much slower rpm and smaller in size. And it makes just too much noise.
10. Toshiba doesn't even include a Windows XP CD. All it has is a recovery CD to reformat the whole disk and re-install everything all over again & deleting all your data. Its horrible SW bundle, nothing worth a penny in it. Norton is only trial offer. Not even XP is included properly.
11. The new battery lasts around 45 mins on full charge. Who knows how much will it last for when it becomes old. Again cheap desktop Celeron has a major part to play in this.
12. Finally Toshiba doesn't make or design this laptop. Its designed/made by a cheap contractor in Taiwan and then sold as Toshiba brand. This is the truth, you can do some google search to verify this !
If you don't have lots of cash or urgent need for mobility you might wanna reconsider having the good old PC for now. Don't be mislead by Intel 1.2GHz label on it. There are reasons why Toshiba can sell it for so cheap and hopefully you enough not to regret later on.