Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 14, 2013
Design: I wanted a nice umbrella to be able to use to/from work, and the metro dot design certainly suits that professional look while still remaining cute and feminine.
Open: The button works well to open the umbrella instantly, and I like that it doesn't shoot out too fast.
Close: I find it difficult to close. You really have to press the handle all the way in until it clicks, and sometimes I have to put my hand at the top to give it that final push. This usually means my hand gets unnecessarily wet or I'm awkwardly stalling in a lobby holding things up.
Sturdiness: The umbrella itself feels really sturdy, and I have yet to question it when strong gusts of wind come by. The base/handle, however, seems a little wobbly.

I was debating between 3 or 4 stars. Given the price, I've gone with 4
Enthusiast: Petson December 28, 2015
This was a stocking stuffer for my daughter, who is just out of high school. She walks 6 blocks to work in the very early morning, and needed something she could fold up and stuff in her locker when she gets there. I got her this one with the dots so that if she goes to a party and there are a dozen black umbrellas drying by the front door, she will be able to identify hers.

I went to a local mall the weekend before Christmas to see if I could beat Amazon's price on the last-minute holiday sales. The prices I saw were close to triple the price I paid here. My daughter is pleased, and I got a bargain.
on May 18, 2014
I read a lot of reviews before I chose this umbrella. I currently work on a campus with several buildings and spend a lot of time going between them throughout the day. I needed an umbrella that would not get mixed up with the many black umbrellas around. I also needed to be able to open and close it quickly so I can get where I need to go on time.

The good stuff:
This umbrella is small enough to fit in my purse.
Most people don't have a zebra-print umbrella (or many of the prints/colors offered in this style,) so it doesn't get lost or mixed up.
The umbrella opens quickly and completely at the push of a button.
I can close this umbrella with one hand.

The one not-so-good thing: the umbrella is pretty small, though it's not the tiniest umbrella I've ever used. I knew what I was getting into and needed something compact to carry around all day. But if you're looking to keep any part of the lower half of your body dry, this is not the umbrella to buy.
on May 10, 2010
I needed a replacement umbrella for my old Totes umbrella that did so well for so many years. I was looking for an umbrella to keep in my purse for the unpredictable spring weather in New England. Overall I give this umbrella high marks. It's compact and lightweight so it fits easily in my bag. It opens to a nicely sized canopy that's large enough to keep me dry but small enough that it's not too cumbersome to walk down a busy street with. It's durable and does a pretty good job standing up to the gusty winds that come off the Boston Harbor. I'm docking a star because the push button open is great but my favorite umbrella also has a push button close that's awesome if the wind is picking up and you need the umbrella to close quickly and this one doesn't do that. Other than that this is a nice looking, well made, durable, and very functional. It's not perfect but it's awfully close.
33 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2013
I bought this umbrella to replace my previous Totes compact umbrella, which finally gave up the ghost after several years of use. I didn't feel angry when it failed, because I had more than gotten my value from it. I liked it so much that I ordered a new Totes compact umbrella just like the old one.

I prefer the compact umbrellas because they are lighter weight and small enough to slip into your purse on a cloudy day, but still open up wide enough to give you good protection when you actually need to use it.

Once a strong wind blew my umbrella completely inside out. I flipped it back the correct way, and when I closed it up, it retracted and folded up just fine. Tough product!! Highly recommend Totes.
on July 24, 2011
This was a nice umbrella when it worked. Small when closed, and a nice size when open. Too bad the shaft came apart in just about a month. I have a cheap Wal-Mart umbrella that has lasted longer.
on November 9, 2016
Disappointed. My past totes were all automatic open AND close. This one does not automatically close with the push of the button. You have to push the button and then pull it down to get the spokes to fold close. Typically the spokes automatically fold close with the button push. But not with this umbrella.
on June 11, 2016
I was actually coming back online to order another one of these because it is so smooth and water resistant. I was going to get one more of this size and one more very large umbrella. I wasn't sure what size to order so I went back and for the first time measured this Tote Umbrella I got, in black.

It is only 36.5" across. I check it every possible way I could think of but have no idea how they are advertising this as 42". I really could have used those extra 6" today in the rain with my kids.
on March 9, 2016
Totes umbrellas can always be counted on for high quality, and this umbrella is no exception. I've always lost them long before one could break or wear out. This one I bought for my daughter in a fun zebra print. She's eleven and it's easy enough to work that she can open and close it by herself--sometimes automatic umbrellas can be a little tough to close back up.
on April 7, 2011
The bottom handle (clear portion) of the umbrella broke off while I was picking it up (yes, just picking it up, I didn't even drop it or anything), and now I'm left with a difficult-to-carry product. The handle was attached by several 1mm thick plastic nubs that snapped clean off. Very poor design and it's just asking for failure. I looked up the warranty, and it looks like you'll need to pay postage shipping to them, AND you have to pay them $5 for "shipping" back. This turns out to be nearly equal to the price I originally paid for the umbrella. No thanks totes, instead you'll get a bad review and I'm getting another brand umbrella. I've had dollar store umbrellas last longer than this one.
44 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse