Beauty Books with Buzz Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on February 24, 2013
 The big thing about this umbrella is that it is a medium-big one and still fits nicely in my backpack. Materials that constitute it are of good quality and finish seems to be good too. I didn't had the opportunity yet to test it in harsh conditions and high frequent use. About the 56 inch; diameter, I've measured it. What they call 56 inch; diameter is actually it circumference. It is the length of the diametral circumference. The diameter itself under the plane covered by the umbrella is about 50 inch, not 56 inch as advertised. Still, it has enough space for two.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
173 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on February 11, 2015
I love this umbrella, its large enough for my entire body to stay dry and its bright colors stand out in a crowd. It came in handy while traveling throughout japan during the rainy season
20 people found this helpful
on May 22, 2015
I needed 2 umbrellas so I decided to buy the two compact sized umbrellas on Amazon with the most reviews. "Totes Signature SuperDome Auto Open/Close Umbrella" and "Lewis N. Clark Automatic Travel Umbrella". My review will compare the two.

Totes Signature SuperDome Auto Open/Close Umbrella
1. Looks great without the case.
2. Feels sturdy.
3. Big enough to keep 2 people dry, yet compact enough to carry in a backpack or something. Its size will definitely keep one person dry.
I definitely recommend it, will update my review if anything changes.

Lewis N. Clark Automatic Travel Umbrella
1. Looks better with the case, looks kind of funny and tiny without it.
2. Does not feel high quality, feels like it might break in the wind.
3. Only big enough for one person but does not look like it's big enough to keep you dry in heavy rain.
The Totes Signature umbrella is only $6 more than the Lewis N. Clark umbrella, so I would definitely recommend the Totes Signature Umbrella instead.

I will update my review once I test both in the rain, it is raining this weekend so this shouldn't take long. Will also provide any updates when needed. I do plan on keeping both umbrellas because the girlfriend likes the smaller one more.
7 people found this helpful
on March 30, 2014
I bought the Totes Signature SuperDome in Rainbow a month ago to replace the same umbrella I'd owned for two years. (I used my Amazon order history to repurchase, so in theory it should have been the exact same umbrella.) At first, it looked the same -- fun rainbow pattern, handy mesh sling. But the new umbrella felt different. Flimsier. More difficult to open and close. The wrist strap was much smaller and barely fit over my hands (and I'm a petite lady). Alas, after just a few uses, one of the arms snapped loose and bent upon closing. Ruined. I mean, the same thing happened to my original umbrella, but at least that took two years of frequent use to happen. Not just a single month with three or four uses. Totes has suffered from the same decline in quality I've experienced with pretty much all products these days.
38 people found this helpful
on December 30, 2010
I purchased the Totes Superdome Auto Open/Auto Close umbrella in complete black and it's a purchase that I'm glad that I did.

The umbrella comes nicely packaged with a mesh sleeve that it fits into. The look is stout, with a classy feel that adds to the appeal. The sleeve that it comes with, is just plain okay, being a little tight and cumbersome to remove, due to the sliding clip on it's drawstring being difficult to release with a push. The size of the fully open umbrella is good enough for two or one very large individual.

It has a strong sturdy frame for those wind gusts that might blow your umbrella inside out. The 'push-button open feature' works very well by fully expanding from the retracted position at the base and the 'close feature' collapses the umbrella so you can manually pull the hood back to the base stem. The size of folded umbrella is shorter than most standard size umbrellas. It's not the smallest (but extremely good for its hood size), making it easy to store and carry around.

The one major drawback I would change, if I could, would be the handle size. It's not very ergonomic to the hand, being that it's small and short. The sturdy plastic handle feels strong enough but doesn't make for a feeling that you're gripping it well. If you can put that aside, an excellent umbrella to use.

Overall:

Pros -

* Looks great
* Comes with a mesh sleeve
* Large enough for two
* Sturdy frame (resists wind)
* Easy to take with you (small enough)
* Auto Opens and collapse closes

Cons -

* Tight packaging sleeve
* Handle is small and unassuring
115 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on August 11, 2015
This is a good umbrella. It has a very big dome and easy open/close button. The reason I bought this is because I needed an umbrella that I could keep in my bag all the time in case the rain catches me off guard, and the product dimensions say that this one is 7 inches--WRONG. It's nearly 14 inches. It doesn't fit in my regular bag at all. So this is my preferred umbrella for when I'm smart enough to look at the weather forecast before leaving the house. As for a small one to keep in my purse for when the rain catches me off guard? Still shopping.
6 people found this helpful
on June 30, 2015
I have no idea why this umbrella is getting rave reviews. I have purchased SEVEN of these umbrellas since 2011 for use by my husband and I ( thank you Amazon for archiving every order making it easy for me to see how many of these I purchased ).

I bought the umbrella in various patterns and over the span of four years. All but one of the umbrellas have survived and I just tossed that one in the garbage this morning. They all broke, usually in the spokes.

I live in New York City, where we do get rain and the occasional gusty winds. Maybe my expectations for an umbrella in this price range are too high?

On the positive side, the umbrella does do a good job of shielding from the rain. I just wish the umbrella would last longer than a year.
4 people found this helpful
on February 23, 2017
This is my third Totes umbrella, and like the first two it's solidly built and operates smoothly. I expect this one to last me for a good number of years, as the other ones did. However, it's not quite perfect. Good points: Nice, big canopy to be so compact when folded. Bigger than my last one! Open/close mechanism works easily. Handle is quite comfortable...not all are! Bad points: Wrist strap is made of fairly thin cord and attaches at an odd point in the side of the handle, not symmetrically at the end. Not sure how long this will hold up in use. Also, the placement allows the strap to get "caught" by the closure Velcro, and as a result is already fraying. The mesh storage sleeve seems flimsy and kind of useless, and in fact mine was already falling apart out of the box. I don't see the point of the cover's long, adjustable bungee cord strap -- I would rather have this sturdier strap on the umbrella itself, as on my last Totes. But these are pretty minor quibbles in the big picture, and after all I can just throw the storage sleeve away. Overall, this is still a good, solid umbrella at a reasonable price.
One person found this helpful
on May 11, 2016
I've been a Totes user for many years, and I love their umbrellas. I ordered the striped one because it looked colorful and interesting.

The umbrella itself is a really nice size with great coverage. I also love the auto open/close feature. However, if you've never had one of these before, be aware that it only closes part of the way. In order to get the umbrella to open again, you have to press it against something to get it to click into place. For me, that's no problem.

Totes has a lifetime guarantee, and they stand by that promise. In the past, when one of my Totes broke, I sent them the $5 they requested, and they always mailed me a new one. Sometimes I got the exact same color, while other times I didn't. However, nowadays, shipping the thing back has gotten so high that, as long as Amazon sells them for a good price, you'd only save a few dollars sending one off as opposed to getting a new one.

Totes makes great quality umbrellas, and I highly recommend them.
on May 28, 2014
After years with a "standard" compact umbrella, with a 44 inch canopy, I knew I wanted something bigger. I still wanted it to fit in my backpack, though. I waffled between a few models, and settled on the Superdome. After a number of spring showers, I'm very satisfied with my choice.
This umbrella collapses down shorter than my old one (14" vs. 17"), though it does have some bulk. It's about the same size and shape as a glass soda bottle, for scale. The fabric is a nice tight weave, and it's got a good water-repellant coating that makes shaking it dry a snap.The ribs feel sturdy, and while it's not vented, it's manageable in 20 mph winds. The auto-open and auto-close work well, and I've yet to have it activate by accident.
My only complaint would be the handle - it's nicely contoured, but it's only 3 inches long. I could stand an extra inch of length to make it easier to hold, or at least some reshaping of the handle itself. It's got ridges at both ends, to keep your hand in place, but with the short length, one ends up in my palm. Not a dealbreaker by any means, but if you have "normal" size hands, it's something to consider.
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.