Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 822 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 865 reviews
on February 24, 2013
The big thing about this umbrella is that it is a medium-big one and still fits nicely in my backpack. Materials that constitute it are of good quality and finish seems to be good too. I didn't had the opportunity yet to test it in harsh conditions and high frequent use. About the 56 inch; diameter, I've measured it. What they call 56 inch; diameter is actually it circumference. It is the length of the diametral circumference. The diameter itself under the plane covered by the umbrella is about 50 inch, not 56 inch as advertised. Still, it has enough space for two.
review image review image review image review image
33 comments| 166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2015
I love this umbrella, its large enough for my entire body to stay dry and its bright colors stand out in a crowd. It came in handy while traveling throughout japan during the rainy season
on December 30, 2010
I purchased the Totes Superdome Auto Open/Auto Close umbrella in complete black and it's a purchase that I'm glad that I did.

The umbrella comes nicely packaged with a mesh sleeve that it fits into. The look is stout, with a classy feel that adds to the appeal. The sleeve that it comes with, is just plain okay, being a little tight and cumbersome to remove, due to the sliding clip on it's drawstring being difficult to release with a push. The size of the fully open umbrella is good enough for two or one very large individual.

It has a strong sturdy frame for those wind gusts that might blow your umbrella inside out. The 'push-button open feature' works very well by fully expanding from the retracted position at the base and the 'close feature' collapses the umbrella so you can manually pull the hood back to the base stem. The size of folded umbrella is shorter than most standard size umbrellas. It's not the smallest (but extremely good for its hood size), making it easy to store and carry around.

The one major drawback I would change, if I could, would be the handle size. It's not very ergonomic to the hand, being that it's small and short. The sturdy plastic handle feels strong enough but doesn't make for a feeling that you're gripping it well. If you can put that aside, an excellent umbrella to use.

Overall:

Pros -

* Looks great
* Comes with a mesh sleeve
* Large enough for two
* Sturdy frame (resists wind)
* Easy to take with you (small enough)
* Auto Opens and collapse closes

Cons -

* Tight packaging sleeve
* Handle is small and unassuring
33 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2014
I bought the Totes Signature SuperDome in Rainbow a month ago to replace the same umbrella I'd owned for two years. (I used my Amazon order history to repurchase, so in theory it should have been the exact same umbrella.) At first, it looked the same -- fun rainbow pattern, handy mesh sling. But the new umbrella felt different. Flimsier. More difficult to open and close. The wrist strap was much smaller and barely fit over my hands (and I'm a petite lady). Alas, after just a few uses, one of the arms snapped loose and bent upon closing. Ruined. I mean, the same thing happened to my original umbrella, but at least that took two years of frequent use to happen. Not just a single month with three or four uses. Totes has suffered from the same decline in quality I've experienced with pretty much all products these days.
on May 22, 2015
I needed 2 umbrellas so I decided to buy the two compact sized umbrellas on Amazon with the most reviews. "Totes Signature SuperDome Auto Open/Close Umbrella" and "Lewis N. Clark Automatic Travel Umbrella". My review will compare the two.

Totes Signature SuperDome Auto Open/Close Umbrella
1. Looks great without the case.
2. Feels sturdy.
3. Big enough to keep 2 people dry, yet compact enough to carry in a backpack or something. Its size will definitely keep one person dry.
I definitely recommend it, will update my review if anything changes.

Lewis N. Clark Automatic Travel Umbrella
1. Looks better with the case, looks kind of funny and tiny without it.
2. Does not feel high quality, feels like it might break in the wind.
3. Only big enough for one person but does not look like it's big enough to keep you dry in heavy rain.
The Totes Signature umbrella is only $6 more than the Lewis N. Clark umbrella, so I would definitely recommend the Totes Signature Umbrella instead.

I will update my review once I test both in the rain, it is raining this weekend so this shouldn't take long. Will also provide any updates when needed. I do plan on keeping both umbrellas because the girlfriend likes the smaller one more.
on August 11, 2015
This is a good umbrella. It has a very big dome and easy open/close button. The reason I bought this is because I needed an umbrella that I could keep in my bag all the time in case the rain catches me off guard, and the product dimensions say that this one is 7 inches--WRONG. It's nearly 14 inches. It doesn't fit in my regular bag at all. So this is my preferred umbrella for when I'm smart enough to look at the weather forecast before leaving the house. As for a small one to keep in my purse for when the rain catches me off guard? Still shopping.
on June 30, 2015
I have no idea why this umbrella is getting rave reviews. I have purchased SEVEN of these umbrellas since 2011 for use by my husband and I ( thank you Amazon for archiving every order making it easy for me to see how many of these I purchased ).

I bought the umbrella in various patterns and over the span of four years. All but one of the umbrellas have survived and I just tossed that one in the garbage this morning. They all broke, usually in the spokes.

I live in New York City, where we do get rain and the occasional gusty winds. Maybe my expectations for an umbrella in this price range are too high?

On the positive side, the umbrella does do a good job of shielding from the rain. I just wish the umbrella would last longer than a year.
on February 23, 2017
This is my third Totes umbrella, and like the first two it's solidly built and operates smoothly. I expect this one to last me for a good number of years, as the other ones did. However, it's not quite perfect. Good points: Nice, big canopy to be so compact when folded. Bigger than my last one! Open/close mechanism works easily. Handle is quite comfortable...not all are! Bad points: Wrist strap is made of fairly thin cord and attaches at an odd point in the side of the handle, not symmetrically at the end. Not sure how long this will hold up in use. Also, the placement allows the strap to get "caught" by the closure Velcro, and as a result is already fraying. The mesh storage sleeve seems flimsy and kind of useless, and in fact mine was already falling apart out of the box. I don't see the point of the cover's long, adjustable bungee cord strap -- I would rather have this sturdier strap on the umbrella itself, as on my last Totes. But these are pretty minor quibbles in the big picture, and after all I can just throw the storage sleeve away. Overall, this is still a good, solid umbrella at a reasonable price.
on December 3, 2014
Awesome umbrella but one tiny annoyance.

If you want the following things in an umbrella:
1. Sturdy in the face of 40-50 mph winds
2. Large coverage area in a compact body
3. Automatic opening and closing button

Then this is the right umbrella for you! I've had it for about half a year now after my last Totes umbrella (which also lasted a solid 3+ years) finally got bent out of shape by 60-70 mph straight line wind gusts. I can tell you that this umbrella is very reasonably sized for such a high quality and large umbrella. It's a few inches over a foot, but I don't feel that I need to remove this from my bag during days it is not forecasted to rain. My only peeve with the umbrella is the while the umbrella does automatically open with the button and then close with the button, it will not re-open until it is pulled back to the compacted form. This gets people who use my umbrella for the first time, every time. Overall, a solid purchase and I totally expect this umbrella to last for multiple years which is more than I can say for all my umbrellas for I discovered Totes.
on April 6, 2017
This umbrella fails to do two of its essential tasks. First it does not open easily after pushing the button. It goes only halfway and then it needs to be handled and pushed hard to open. Second it does not close properly. You will need to struggle with it a lot to get it closed. If you are trying to use this "umbrella" under heavy rain, I wish you good luck, because while trying to open and close it for five minutes, you will be drenched in rain. I am ordering a new one from a different brand right now.