Industrial Deals HPC Trade in your textbooks Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Ed Sheeran Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on May 27, 2014
If you just getting started with a Net Zero or Passive House this book is a good starting point. ED
on August 11, 2014
Great read on details for sustainable home options.
on March 25, 2013
I also recommend another book to readers to complete necessary knowledge on this issue named "The Solar House: Passive Heating and Cooling" written by Daniel D. Chiras.
on June 4, 2014
Good, in parts.

Good information and quite well presented, however much of the theory, while interesting (and important for that reason), is not applicable to regions of high earthquake risk - where I live. As a general guide, I have added a "star" above my personal needs.
on April 10, 2017
I only gave this book 3 stars, as it is not a superior book on the subject overall, -- however, at about $21 it is an exceptional buy, giving good reading material, and very good photos -- at an exceptional bang for the buck. I bought a 2nd copy for my niece's bookshelf. For the money, this is a very nice book to read about the inter-related topics of Passive House (German 'Passivhaus'), ZEH (zero energy homes), & zero net energy homes. This book contains over a dozen interesting low energy case studies, which are basically all wood frame variants. The home heating section is pretty good & useful. If you know someone building a new home, or intending to buy an existing home, this would be a good book for them to review before they plunk down their hard-earned cash. It may also help to forsee the possible future of housing due to the threat of climate change scenarios.
on January 9, 2014
How many books have you slogged through, hating the experience and the drudgery? Maybe it's me. I was invalided at work in
1996 and had no future. So when I could sit up and I could walk, I went to the local Junior College and got a two year degree in
Architectural Drafting. It took five years, hanging onto the drawing board, cause I couldn't sit or stand well. I studied Owner Built,
Single Family Homes and got to know and appreciate some of the Sustainable Designers here in the South West and up in San
Luis Obispo. I've visited and talked with Nader Khalili and admired his wisdom, vision and ability to share technology. A true
Teacher and Mentor.

But then go to the local library, and tell me how inspired you get reading a text...

I have read and critiqued dozens of Adobe and Unconventional Construction books. If I had gotten my hot little hands on this
one, it would have made the top of my list sooner. Let me just give you some unasked for advice...Buy It, Read It, Return To It,
and Reference It. Make your own Table Of Contents in the clean back pages, noting where you find key ideas. THIS IS THE
BEST BOOK!

Where else have authors coalesced and distilled the concepts that we need to pound into our heads? In a manner that
is enjoyable enough to read? I've been the King of ADD my whole life. I had it in grade school, WAY before they invented it.
I can't STAND school (born into a teaching family, taught school in the Army myself). But I LIKED reading this book. I bought it
to send to my best friend, as he wants me to help him design a little cottage on his land. I'm jealous, so I'll be buying myself
one also. I loved it, I used it, and when I get my copy, I'm gonna write in those empty pages like it was a text book.

This text jump starts you from ignorance of an idea into a feeling of comfortable understanding. Yes, there have been GREAT
books written for the Sustainable Home Building movement, but this one differs from the rest because I found it to be imminently
approachable. Head and shoulders above the noise.

Go ahead, read all there is in your local library. But buy THIS book... Hap
on July 8, 2010
I think "Toward a Zero Energy Home" provides a good overview of what is going on in the technology side of building. I like the fact that a variety of opinions are presented for the reader on different methods working toward the same goal of building a technically smart, energy efficient living space. Anyone interested in this subject will find numerous other books that should be read as well for a more complete understanding of the topic. This volume, in my opinion, holds its own as one of the books that will contribute to that knowledge and is a worthwhile read.
11 comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 28, 2013
An excellent book to read before designing your own home.

In fact, before designing your own home, you should probably read 5 or 6 books at least, but I believe this should be the first one you read.
It has practical advise on how to save on utilities bills and making a very healthy home. Although it apply for an eco-view of things, it is not focused on the "tree huggers" crowd. Be ecological as a bonus for saving money.

Great advise in what to aim for and what to avoid.
on February 28, 2017
21 others have already opined, so this will be very brief. Got this book @ library. Get all my books there. Book was donated by our community owned electric and sewer/water provider! Go figure. Great book. This is an overview, but a pretty deep overview. I learned a whole lot from it. Not sure my family has what it takes to go net zero, but I sure do applaud those who do. This book would be an excellent starting point and reference for those who want to go net zero or at least reduce reliance on the grid. Many good ideas and tips.
on January 16, 2016
Good book good ideas just getting old.