BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Dirty Heads PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now PSFF17_gno

on September 9, 2016
I once heard this quote: Our neuroses cause the most psychic distress when those who inculcated them die and move beyond argument and mercy. This book brought me a lot of peace of mind before and after my father died. It enabled me to share with my father how the past had caused me great pain, but I nonetheless wanted to move beyond that in a more helpful and loving way. He could not hear what I had to say, but being able to articulate it, after reading this book, gave me great peace of mind for many years afterwards. So, when he passed away, I had no regrets about not having tried to heal the relationship. I had done all I could responsibly do; I resolved I was not responsible for the riff that had lasted for two decades. I was free.
on July 9, 2015
This book is by far the most helpful and insightful book I've ever read. I was always indirectly verbally abused by whole life by my father and grandmother in terms of teasing about my physical appearance and calling me sensitive or saying that I know they are just teasing when I would get upset. I would have sever anxiety anytime I had to visit them since I never knew what they were going to pick on me about. The past year I have finally started to talk back and not take the verbal abuse. Because I've stopped taking it and changed the family dynamic, my Father turned to physical abuse a couple days ago. This book is a lifesaver to help me coupe with what happened, how I can move past this incident, and not repeat the cycle of verbal/physical abuse with my future children. My parents divorced when i was around age 8 and after the incident this weekend, my mother is finally telling me all the things he use to do to her when they were married. I've finally realized that being verbally abused by family isn't normal and it should be a safe place where you are accepted. My mother is going to read this book also since her father was also extremely verbally abusive. I'm doing the exercises the book outlines and i'm amazed at how much sadness and anger i have inside. I've finally let go of the facade of having the perfect father. This book will make you cry so I suggest reading it alone to fully soak in a reflect.
33 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2017
only in the first 50 pages and can't put it down! Everything is spot on!
on September 4, 2017
I read it twice, very interesting. My early years were very negative and I never realized it. Having said that I'm sure their child hood wasn't that
good either. I'm sure they raised me the way they were raised. The book opened my eyes to quite a few things about why I am the way I am and how to forget the past and live for today. Good help book.
on February 23, 2017
A very positive and professional approach in dealing with childhood/ parent issues, definitley took off alot of the weight in my chest and mind.
on November 3, 2016
Great book. Very insightful. Highly recommend anyone that has issues with parents or family members to read. Goes in depth with patterning and how to break it.
on January 12, 2015
I stumbled upon this book online and was a MUST purchase. For those with toxic or borderline personality parent you'll love this book. It gives great adivce on how to set healthy boundaries and regain your self confidence and lead a happy and positive life.
on February 27, 2017
This book will set you free from parents you could not or ever would have chosen.
on June 13, 2013
This book is truly very intelligently written and insightful. I loved it because it helped me to come to terms with the very horrible parents that I had. Many times even though one wants to become independent from a dysfunctional family and becomes prey to it again. This book helps overcome the traps our toxic parents set for us to be unhappy, unsuccessful, and unloved. It helps and shows ways to overcome the unhealthy relationship with parents which can help you take control and overcome the negativity. It also helps with letting go of the toxic influence of parents. This is a book which any good therapist and client should read because I learned more from it than all my years of therapy.
on March 29, 2015
It's okay. It's basic information that can be found in other places, as well. Much of the book is a compilation of catch-phrases and pat information that has been around for years. Nice book for those who are beginning a journey of recovery and discovery from early childhood abuse.