Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now HTL17_gno

I have the utmost respect for Sophie Hayes I admire her strength and courage in sharing her story to help others understand what goes on in this world.

I couldn't put this book down, it's a well told story with enough details to comprehend what this girl went through without going into the extremes of what she must have lived. As I turned each page I was routing for Sophie to get back in the arms of her mom.

This is an excellent book for moms, daughters, aunt, nieces to read and openly discuss the danger lurking in this world.

I hope when Sophie looks in the mirror she now sees the strong, respectable woman she has become. I also hope her sharing her story has helped heel her in some way. Thank you.
on January 5, 2015
This was a sad story about a girl named Sophie who became involved with a European man named Kas.At first things were fine between them and she was treated well. She went to Italy for a visit with him but then to her horror, Kas changed and told her she owed him money and was not going home until it was paid. He became violent and cruel, and she was forced to become a prostitute to pay him this so-called debt.Sophie serviced many men and saw little money- Kas was always beating her up and starving her, and emotional abuse was also part of the picture. Finally after Sophie became gravely ill, was she able to return home and restart her life. This is a fairly well-written book chronicling a girl's trafficking into prostitution abroad. It could happen to any girl who trusts a man enough to go far from home with him.
on August 28, 2017
Sophie's story is incredible!! It was like being inside a movie theater as I became riveted to every page of this book. I could not put it down until I got to the last page!! I truly do not know how she came out of this both alive and sane. The best part is that she is using her story to educate those who need to learn and to help her fellow survivors. She is a testament to the resilience of the human spirit!
on April 5, 2016
"It was hard to believe that in just twenty-four hours, I'd learned to be frightened of the man I thought was my best friend."

Trafficked by Sophie Hayes is a chilling account of a young British woman who was trafficked into Italy by a clever and violent man.

I have read many accounts on human trafficking, yet Sophie's account is chilling for many reasons. There are so many stereotypes attached to victims of sexual slavery that simply don't fit into her story. She had a loving mother, a tightly connected family, an education, job, flat and friends. Her trafficker, who turns out to be a stalker and psychopath, courted her for years before showing his true colors.

Sophie had perhaps one gaping problem that made her a target for a patient psychopath, and that was her own insecurities on love - particular masculine love due to her verbally abusive and uncaring father.

Sophie begins the text discussing her childhood and young adulthood. She is frank about the abuse and instability her father instilled into her and her siblings. After she moved out on her own, she had few relationships that always ended due largely to her insecurities. Although she meets her trafficker and takes no interest in him for significant periods of time, he begins to grow on her. His sudden disappearance isn't the end of his interest in her as he continues to pursue her in the guise of a friend through texts and phone calls. Over time, the two become close friends - so thought Sophie.

After being tricked and trapped, Sophie is forced into prostitution by both threats and extreme violence. For the next six months, her descent into hell is shocking, horrifying, and alarming. It isn't often that non-trafficked individuals are privy to the mental processes of someone being brainwashed. Yet, Sophie provides us just that - and it is remarkably disturbing.

We see a gradual disconnect from reality as she struggles to survive: "If I could make this man believe I was Jenna, perhaps I could believe it too..." We see the effects of severe trauma when she says: "...gradually, as the minutes and then the hours rocked by, my mind shut down and the numbness almost obliterated the fear and revulsion....gradually, I learned how to switch off the light in my mind so that it became dark and empty and I felt nothing - either physically or emotionally." She shows the extent of her brain washing - a common experience for trafficked individuals towards their pimps: "I knew that [his] anger with me was justified and he was right: I was far too stupid to deserve to be loved by anyone...the only explanation that seemed to make any sense at the time was that it was somehow all my fault."

Trafficked is a page-turner that certainly kept me up all night to finish. I wanted to scream several times to run when she had the chance, and my heart was pounding when she finally escaped. A startling twist at the end was both surprising and haunting and gives the reader much on which to think. Yet perhaps the most frightening or devastating thing that keeps coming to my mind is that if she had not had such a family, she would never have written this story. She would undoubtedly be dead.

Rachael Williams-Mejri
Editor
Grace As Justice Magazine

*While I strongly recommend this book, I suggest it primarily for mature adults. There is definitely strong language, but more importantly the psychological processes used against her are very thoroughly described and are consequently quite disturbing.
on May 31, 2014
I was in shock pretty much the whole time while I was reading this book. As unbelievable as it is that someone is treated the way that the main character was treated, the unfortunate truth is that this kind of abuse happens to many girls and women all around the world. Thankfully, I've never had to go through what Sophie went through, so I'm not going to judge her for not trying to run away sooner. Though I admit, there were many times throughout the book when I thought she had the perfect opportunity to ask someone for help, run or do something (anything) to attract attention to her abuser and get out of there. But she was brainwashed and afraid for her family. I thought this was an eye opening book. Human trafficking is a huge issue all around the world and the more people know about it, the better. The book itself was an easy (albeit shocking) read and I would definitely recommend it.
on August 14, 2017
This unfortunately happens every day. This is one girls account. It's difficult to read some sections, but I'm glad I did. awareness is the only way to stop this type of activity. There are some sick individuals living in our world and we must protect our children.
Product arrived quickly and reasonably priced
on April 25, 2014
This was terribly difficult to read because of the trauma this young woman went through. Like child sexual assault, most of us would rather not acknowledge that this heinous activity occurs or if it does it is to a certain "class or type" of victims. I can not say I enjoyed the book because it is certainly NOT the type of story anyone should enjoy. However, it was certainly enlightening and made me understand and be much less judgmental to people in these situations (prostitutes esp).
I am so relieved there was a happy ending for Sophie...well as happy as one can expect given her horrific experience. I am sure she will have alot of issues to work through and it will take more than a couple of years for her to gain some sense of normalcfy and especially trust. It is remarkable that she is able to express this in print, but also I hope redemptive to her and eye opening for those of us who are safe and comfortable in our own little world....or think we or our children or grandchildren are.
Awesome that Sophie has turned her victimization into survivorship and into a way for her to help others avoid what she had to experience. Good luck dear lady! Prayers go to you, your family and to hopefully a beloved partner in your life.
on February 4, 2014
I was very moved by the book. Very quick read and very worth your time.

Honestly, I braced myself for certain scenes I knew/assumed it would contain but the author/survivor tells her story without focusing heavily on just the sexual violence and abuse that she experienced (as far as specific details and how the topic is presented). To me, that made the book even more valuable - it wasnt just about being trafficked and forced to work as a prostitute. It is so SO much more than that. The mental and social consequences/changes that she experienced during her captivity and afterwards are so real- so heartbreaking. As a parent, I found the discussion of the relationship with her father horrifying- how we treat our children truly does matter. Reading along I was quoting and summarizing to my husband (which i never do, he isnt a big book guy)

I immediately wanted to write the author a letter and thank her for sharing her experience - you can never truly trust anyone and no one is "off limits" in becoming a trafficking victim. A real eye opener. I would recommend this book to anyone, and already have told a couple friends they should read it.
on January 25, 2017
Absolutely compelling writing. I originally picked up a hard copy of this book in Barnes and Noble while I was waiting for a friend to finish shopping. As I sat in the coffee shop, I could not put it down and got through more than a quarter of the book before I had to leave the store. As I was walking out, I knew I had to finish reading it and so I bought the Kindle version on Amazon. What an amazing story. Wow. I am at a loss of words.
on April 7, 2014
When reviewing Trafficked, it is important to delineate between the book and the author.

The author deserves an immense amount of credit for sharing her story. It is apparent that she hopes to shed light on one of the darker sides of our human society. With this book, she can help debunk the stereotype many have of the kind of women who fall victim of the terrible crime of trafficking and sex exploitation.

However, her book was, at times, hard to get through, and not because of its difficult content. While the book is written well, it is hard to find a connection with the author. There are too many times when the memoir isn't progressed forward; instead, you feel like your wading in the ocean, moving up and down, but not really moving in position. It feels like Hayes wasn't quite ready to share everything, and that she could have shed more light on the people involved in the book.

Hayes should be commended for sharing her story, but overall the book was an average read.