Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 12 reviews
on May 18, 2012
This is the best book by far that I have read on the sinking of the Titanic. Foster writes the book from the perspective of the passengers and crew who survived the disaster, and he includes much testimony that was provided to review groups in the UK and the US. The book leaves no doubt that more could have been done to prevent the collision with the iceberg and to save the passengers and crew after the crash occurred. There was much hubris involved.
I was surprised to learn that the iceberg created holes along the seam where it came in contact with hull and that the seam was not ruptured wide open like is reported in some books. Foster is the only author that I know of who points out that many portholes were left open which probably let in much more water than the damage from the iceberg. If the captain had responded immediately instead of being in denial for several minutes, actions could have been taken to slow the sinking and save many more people.
The book is long, but it is very readable and it is filled with detailed information. I highly recommend it!
on June 26, 2014
Parts of the story was very informative if you're writing a report on the Titanic. But to include pages after pages of the senate and then the wreck commission on the sinking became very boring. On my kindle, I skipped a lot of this and read the rest. To me the testimony was repetative. But that's my opinion.

The rest was very informative. I learned some things that I didn't know and things I suspected all along. Like one iceberg doing in the Titanic. I thought there were a lot more out there than was reported along with a huge field of ice. Maybe that answers the question of why Murdoch committed suicide that night. He essentially destroyed the Titanic. But again, that's my impression of what I read and may not be to anyone else.

Read it for yourselves and you be the judge.
on April 24, 2013
I was really excited to read this book, but it is more of a textbook than a nonfiction novel. It's very badly edited, and the Kindle edition is even worse. The publisher didn't even try to reformat the book for ereaders. There is so much information, but it is badly put together and needs to be edited down. It jumps around a lot and actually reprints just pages and pages of congressional hearings.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, unless they are doing a report on the Titanic.
on December 19, 2012
An unknown revelation on what really happened that night back on April 15 1912, hear the background to the drama as told by many who were there. Sift thru the evidence yourself to decide what you think really occurred - it's really nothing like the movie - this is for real
on April 22, 2013
First of all, I read all 1400-plus pages. Obviously good enough book to keep me going. But the other reviews' comments about more analysis by the author are on target. Also, more time should be spent on the technical aspects of why the ship sank once it hit the iceberg. This tragedy, like most human tragedies, ends up being a nuanced affair.
on November 22, 2015
I've always been fascinated by the tragic story of the Titanic and hoped to learn new facts. I wasn't disappointed.
on March 20, 2013
OK, but too much material directly from the US and British Inquiries, made for slow reading.
Would have appreciated more analysis and comments from author.
on May 18, 2013
Very interesting and informative. The questions asked of the survivors during the hearings
reveal things I didn't realize. Very sad
on March 4, 2013
All the chapters on the two courtroom accounts, get very tired of testimony especially the British courts. They are hard to follow.