Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on February 7, 2011
After reading Dr. Sood's book and practicing the concepts, I felt as if a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders. I was no longer carrying past regrets and negative experiences or the burden of future fears. The AIT program taught me how to train my attention and refine my interpretations to focus on the present moment and turn from suffering to joy, from ego to self.

I learned how to stop spending an inordinate amount of my day thinking about what's wrong, what will go wrong, and what has gone wrong. I decreased my "attention black holes" by actively engaging the brain's higher center, the pre-frontal cortex by practicing skills that helped me discover the novelty that already exists in my world. I didn't need an outside event that was threatening or unusually pleasing to capture my attention. I could find the joy in ordinary events.

The five core teachable skills helped me refine my interpretations based on higher principles of gratitude, meaning and purpose, compassion, acceptance, and forgiveness. What wonderful alternatives to negative ruminations! I was no longer trapped in the stress center or limbic system of my brain. I learned how to better withstand adversity and to discover the meaning and purpose behind several difficult events in my life. What a blessing to have this knowledge and to learn to focus on compassion, cultivate greater forgiveness and anchor my life in higher meaning and purpose.

What does this mean in practical terms? My friends and family have noticed a difference and even asked why I seem so much happier. I'm more resilient and positive in my daily interactions, plus I've lost 12 pounds through mindful eating and stress management.

I highly recommend this book and I'm grateful to Dr. Sood for sharing this wisdom with us.
on January 8, 2012
Wow, this book is amazing. The author gives two simple steps to emotional well-being, along with tons of deeper explanation around the steps. I feel like the author has a lot of substance and wisdom to share, and he explains it well.

I like the author's science-based approach to the subject. The author's ideas and advice appear to be rooted in recent brain research. I'm leery of "touchy-feely" New-Age-type self-help books, so I was happy to see over 500 footnotes in this book from scientific journals. The author has an MD and is the director of integrative medicine at the Mayo Clinic, so he comes with credentials than inspire some confidence.

I have found a few typos, and the book will not win any book design awards. However, the content is so valuable that I do not care. I do like all the charts and diagrams that accompany the concepts in this book.

I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in learning to find peace and contentment. I found this book through Dr. Weil's Spontaneous Happiness. I liked Dr. Weil's book, but this one by Dr. Sood is even better.

I like this quote: "When you are physically 'here' but mentally 'there', you have not yet shown up in your life. You are most likely still in your mind."

This book is about training your attention to be in the present, not ruminating about past regrets or future fears.

Also about interpreting what happens according to your 'higher principles' and altruistic preferences, rather than prejudices and egocentric preferences. The author gives the following equation:

Suffering = pain +
lack of gratitude + lack of compassion + lack of acceptance + unforgiveness + lack of higher meaning.

In more scientific terms, it's about increasing activity in the higher cortical center of your brain, particularly the pre-frontal cortex, which is associated with imagination, creativity, peace, impulse control, strategic planning, etc.

So you also learn to stay out of the lower limbic center of your brain, which is associated with stress, anxiety, depression, etc.

I also recommend the book Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World.
on January 19, 2012
I went through the stuff with no bias, open mind and have tried to internalise and apply small yet practical tips from the book. Well, its amazing, lasting and blissful experience for over one year. I reread the book periodicaly,more so when I need answer to my day to day problems.It has never failed me so far. I fall short of words to put my feelings. How I wish I had been exposed to it in my earlier , formative years of life. I strongly recommend to gift it to near and dear ones so that the world becomes a better place to inhabitat.
on August 13, 2012
This is the best and most transformative book that I own. It is what I consider to be the highest form of spirituality that I practice. I like to keep it simple and refer to the whole approach as "heartfulness", which is a term used in the book a few times.

I recommend the paperback version, since it's a pretty big book and therefore hard to manage or fully appreciate on kindle.

Such a gift to the world...and the author donates all profits! Thank you, Dr. Amit Sood.
on December 1, 2013
What a wonderful guide to better living for a healthy soul. I use it as a reference guide and will frequently pick up the book when something is bothering me. Wish more religions would REALLY base there guides by these priinciples.
on June 23, 2013
What a great method to discovering personal happiness! A great new perspective! It takes practice, but following this process changed my whole outlook on life.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 1, 2012
This book is masterful linking the science of the brain to the spirit of the heart. The result: a new way to live...with less anyst, judgment and sad thoughts...and more gratitude, compassion, acceptance, and forgiveness. It reminds us of our true meaning. And in doing so it gives us joy, especially as we meditate in the present moment.
on March 7, 2013
Finally, someone explains why people think the way they do. Many people suffer and have strained relationships due to some of these things in the book. They can now have hope and an explanation, and a way to change the way they think and interact with other people, and improve their quality of life. Great book!!
on January 4, 2013
Life is not about take a course, transfrom your life, but this book has good solid brain/body information that we can all learn from.
on December 31, 2014