Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Training Day [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on February 15, 2017
I had to know immediately who directed TRAINING DAY after watching in 2002 (damn that long ago...?). I only too recently just watched The Replacement Killers, a movie I had/had no urge at all to see discovering Chow Yun-Fat's American debut was quite entertaining also.
But, if you are a fan of Director Antoine Fuqua and/or have seen TRAINING DAY this should be an easy buy, The commentary by Fuqua is a good one, informing us that the "Jungle" of rough urban, L.A neighborhoods were, basically, gang infested and almost all extras from the "jungle" lived in that neighborhood. It could be dangerous to film at night, so, Director Fuqua was assured safety by "local" boys Bone, Sniper, and Blaster.
They were true to their word.

But, check this one out (again) even if (I agree) the finale fight gets a little carried away. There are so many good scenes in this action, head games, police corruption movie. I still laugh at the 3 Wise Men 'story' about the judge hoodwinked by peanut butter; and, damn, that scene with the Latinos (Cliff Curtis, Raymond Cruz...) one of the most intense confrontations I have ever seen on film.
This is cool, (mostly) realistic, police action movie -- with that Russian back story 'hanging' over the proceedings.
For lack of a better word: Awesome.
There are also 2 music videos (Nelly and Pharoahe Monch) as well as Deleted scenes and an Alternate Ending. The alternate ending was worth thinking about.
The Making of Training Day also contains some interviews and recollections from all the main cast and crew including Denzel, Ethan Hawke, and director Fuqua himself. A solid 25 minutes of insights and the prerequisite compliments for one another that do seem sincere (especially for Denzel who won an Oscar for his performance).
on October 11, 2016
Experience from repo and fugitive recovery inclines me to believe that this movie is accurate to some extent. I used to have a nickname in the hood from out of town.(Business.) Every detail in the screen play is necessary. I've watched it several times over the years and still find interesting continuity in the dialog and scenes that are relevant to the story. The drive-able crashed car with most of it's lights and arms up ending was a reach. Good flick.
on April 19, 2014
This is easily one of my favorite films of the aughts. It would probably be in my Top Ten of All Time list, if I had one, for the simple reason that it is one of the most fundamentally WATCHABLE movies ever. I can watch this film pretty much any day, any time. I can flip to it randomly on TV and get immediately engrossed. I can recall entire lines and scenes verbatim. Yes, it is flawed. True, it is not a perfect film. (I'm looking at you, Terminator showdown finale.) And the story is not entirely plausible. But. BUT. BUT! There are two things that make this movie effing great. The first one is obvious: Denzel. Jesus Christ, DENZEL. He embodies the morally reprehensible yet totally charismatic Alonzo like a handmade suit. Denzel is in practically every scene in this film, and holy hell he is pure cinemagnetism. (Can I coin that term right now?) Swagger, charm, menace. He won the Oscar for this role, and he deserved it. (BTW, Ethan Hawke is pretty good, too.) The second thing that makes this film great is the overall tone. There's a sense of dread that pulses through the whole thing. Simultaneously, it captures a time and place (turn of the century Los Angeles) that is so quintessentially American and gangsta that it cracks and pops. Even the dialogue gets fired like gunshots. In summary, this movie is downright special. I love it.
on October 20, 2016
If you're not seeing this Anton Fugue gem of a movie I must ask you why better yet why not it's been out for quite some time if you haven't seen it but immediately it'll be in your top 10 tries all the movies as well such is a cop movie in Brooklyn with Don Cheadle and Richard Gere as well as some as others you can look up he has not yet hit a foul ball. Denzil is phenomenal and history in fact every actor and actress is but I'm on this movie and it's quite complex but has a great twist at the end in fact I like to see Denzel Washington the bad guy for once… Deathly check it out
on December 7, 2014
It's 2014 as this review is being submitted and many Americans' no longer feel a sense of trust and confidence in the men in blue who are supposed to serve and protect. Denzel Washington's portrayal of a brutal rogue cop in Training Day will do little to restore the trust.
Washington's Alonzo Harris is a soul beyond redemption. He is corrupt, brutal and without remorse as a law enforcer who takes a sinister joy in breaking every law he is supposed to uphold.

Enter Jake Hoyt, a blank slate that Alonzo is fully prepared to deface. Ethan Hawke (much under appreciated in his career, IMHO) portrays the conflicted rookie as walking carefully on a tight rope between good and evil. He's enthralled at first by Washington's character and part of the plot device of Training Day is the question of whether the rookie will fall.

Outstanding performances by both Hawke and Washington. Both men were not reluctant to visit the dark side.
on July 26, 2016
Never saw this movie until this last weekend. Started it on TV, and then got cut off by adult responsibilities, so I rented it to watch the second half on Amazon. I have to say, this was such a damn good movie and if you are critical of how special forces can pick and choose their fights based on their larger agendas as Denzel's character does. Ethan Hawke as the rookie has to internalize those guilty feelings of trying to do the right thing when everyone else is taking the easy way out. All-in-all, fascinating movie and I highly recommend it if you are into police/crime movies and shows.
on October 14, 2016
masterful . go David Ayer . go Antoine Fuqua .

and no , it does not require "being a man" to kill another man . quite the opposite . it requires subsuming oneself to an animal state . this was demonstrated , but not articulated .

and just HOW did those Russians get into this country ANYWAY
on June 30, 2014
Despite his "habits", you just can't help watching Denzel Washington as an LA cop who's thrown out the book and made up his own rules. Here, he's taking the new rookie, played by Ethan Hawke, on a "field trip" to assess whether the young man is ready to join his narcotics unit. Denzel Washington was by far my favorite in this film, though Scott Glen comes in as a solid second...wish I could have seen more of him. As for Ethan Hawke, he was all right. He had a number of good lines and the way he held his own throughout the film's events was certainly interesting, he sometimes reverted to being a goody-goody rookie. There's a difference of how Washington's character and I would view such a stereotype, and my version is worse. But nevertheless, Hawke fit in well with the cast and mostly made up for the parts I didn't like about his portrayal. This is a whole new cop movie and no one should miss it! Enjoy.
on October 28, 2016
This is the best movie ever with Denzel Washington he is the man on this movie
I quote (^tell me story since you cannot keep your mouth shut while I am trying to read my Newspaper)
I don't generally watch action movies, but this isn't just an action type movie. Kept me interested, wanting to know what was going to happen next.