Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Trans-Canada Rail Guide: Includes City Guides To Halifax, Quebec City, Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Jasper, Calgary, Churchill And Vancouver
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

on June 3, 2000
Ok, I'm back. This is my second review of the book, however this time it's based on my real experience traveling with VIA from coast to coast (Halifax - Vancouver) and using this book on the road (oooppss...rail). While preparing my itinerary I used this book as a main source of information when deciding how much time I'll spend in each city and where I'll be staying. VIA web site is of course the place to pickup the latest timetables, calculate the price of the tickets, and make a reservations... (I found timetables at the end of the book still useful on the board of the train when I needed to quickly find out the distance to the next station).
I put three books in my backpack, two travel guides from NELLES (guides to Atlantic and Pacific provinces) and this one. The guides from NELLES are good with lots of facts about the country and with nice photos, however I found "Trans-Canada Rail Guide" far more suitable for people traveling across Canada by train. Also the book is as valuable on board of the train as well in the downtown of the city. I rent the book to several fellow travelers in coach class and each one of them told me how great it is.
The organization of the book is simple but efficient, for example in PART 4 City Guides and plans you can find for all mayor cities short descriptions of the following: History, Arriving in...(by air, by train), Local Transport, Orientation and Services, Where to stay, Where to eat, What to see, Moving on (by air, by train). If you are real rail enthusiast you'll have fun reading PART 5 Route Guide and Maps with description of small stations and places marked with mile markers so you can be "smarter" then others guessing what it is or where you are. Some prices mentioned in the book are the same even today but in general are higher. My average expense for the mid-range hotel or B&B was 55 CAD per night (including tax), entrance fees for museums and other events are in general higher, anything from 10 to 50% higher, food 10-20%, buses and taxis 10-20% , train tickets 10-20% (the cost of my Canrail Pass was 408 CAD including tax). If you need any additional tips or information about the trip you can send me a message to my account on Yahoo (see member page). Today I found out that second edition of this book is published so check it out!
on July 15, 2001
This is THE ultimate canadian rail travel book. I would even recommend this book for those driving through Canada. The author gives advise (very detailed) on where to eat, sleep, sight-see, and so on. I urge everyone to find this book at your local bookstore and thumb through it. Then buy it here. At the end of the book it even guides you along the train journey by listing the significant sights along the way (such as....at Mile marker 26 towards the south, you'll see the cemetary containing 145 victims of the Titanic). Best of all, it displays all of the VIA Rail timetables and how many calendar days each leg of the trip takes. This is especially useful for those on the CANRAIL pass package. YOu can literaly plan your entire itinerary from this single book. The size allows you to easily stow it in a small camera bag or purse. The PERFECT Canadian travel book.
on March 19, 2000
This book helped me prepare itinerary for my one-month journey from Halifax to Vancouver that I'm planning to take in May 2000. I checked prices and some telephone numbers mentioned in the book with those I found on different web sites and despite the fact that the book is four years old it's still useful and accurate. There is everything you need to prepare for such journey: routes and costs, facts about country, practical advices (transport, festivals, food, time, hotels,...), history about Trans-Canada railway, mayor city guides and plans and least but not last route guide and maps with short description about small towns along the routes.
on February 20, 2011
Trans-Canada Rail Guide offers an updated fifth edition of a Canadian rail classic, packing in rail routes, maps and city guides for all stops east to west on the route. The route has been completely re-travelled and all information in the prior editions checked and updated, with extensive changes to this edition including new facts about the country, updated city guides, and new route guides adapted to match VIA Rail's new scheduling and timetables. No Canadian or trail travel collection should be without this!
on October 29, 2002
I was somewhat disappointed as only about one thrird of this little book is Information about trains. The other part is a general travelguide.
Only VIA Rail services and the Rocky Mountainer are covered. Trains like the Polar Bear Express aren't even mentioned.
Then I had to find that some information is out of date (VIA-Rail DOES serve Quebec City).
If you want a Canada travel guide rather buy a Lonely Planet and if you want additional information about rail travel you can find it on the internet.
on April 17, 2013
While only a small portion of the book is actually devoted to a mile-by-mile guide along selected train routes, I found the book useful and well organized. There are good "mini-guides" to each of Canada's larger cities, including suggestions on sightseeing and restaurants, an interesting section on the history of Canada's railroads, and some useful general information about travel in Canada. For me, this is convenient because my wife and I plan to take a cross-Canada train trip this summer, with brief stop-overs in Toronto and Winnipeg and a longer stay in Jasper. The book does double-duty (eliminates need to schlep separate guidebooks on these places - it's all in this one volume), and at the same time it gives me a sense of what I'm seeing along the way from the train.
on August 5, 2013
For railfans who salivate over the idea of taking a trans-Canada rail trip, this is a wonderful and practical way to dream - or plan an actual trip. It didn't leave much out: history, city guides (maps, hotels, points of interest), even a few color photos (I would have liked more, but hey, I'm happy just to have this book). Maybe someday I'll be able to make that trip, till then I can read this book and dream...
on October 4, 2015
This book is outstanding, with useful information about the trains and what you will need to know, as well as very thorough information about the cities served along the way, with lots of choices of accommodations and attractions.
on December 21, 2013
will fit in my pocket. Should be useful while we're aboard. Led to my wanting to take excursions on the branch routes. Useful with the Via website for city attractions. A good purchase.
I bought two copies; one for our traveling companions.
Surprise! so did they.
on February 13, 2012
Book has lots of good basic info on trin travel in western Canada. Recommendation to buy came from ViaCanada. Well worth the purchase price.