BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now FFII_gno

on February 9, 2015
Before I start let me just say that if your using these cards in a Nikon D70 you'll need to update the cameras firmware to A2.0 and B2.0 Nikon still has this update on their website. The D70s doesn't need to be updated.

I bought these CF cards for my two old Nikon DSLR's. I own a Nikon D70 and a D70s. I keep these old bodies around because they have an unlimited flash sync speed if your using radio triggers. A very useful feature if you do any kind of flash photography involving quick movements. Sometimes shooting outdoors with a flash can be tricky with todays cameras. But the D70 and D70s makes that easy.

The CF cards I first bought for these bodies where the slower Transcend 133x CF cards. With these bodies I don't do much photography that involves wildlife or sports shooting. But when I do I always found the slower 133x cards just couldn't keep up with the old D70's. When I bought the 133x cards I assumed that because these cameras where so old that I wouldn't be able to use or take advantage of faster CF cards. I was wrong.

I have a friends 16GB Lexar 800x CF card laying around. I decided to see if the old D70's could take advantage of the cards much improved wright speeds. To my surprise the old D70's did and boy did the buffer dump ALLOT quicker into the 800x card. Compared to the 133x card which would take forever to clear.

With the 800x card you can keep a decent pace going of two or three shot bursts, you can see in the viewfinder how quickly the buffer clears. With the Transcend 400x card it seems that the performance is much the same as the 800x Lexar. Only because I believe having an 800x card in a body that old (about 11 years old for the D70 and 10 years old for the D70s) is a waste. Sure it made a difference compared to the 133x card but the camera itself can't wright to the card quickly enough to warrant spending the extra cash on an 800x card. When shooting in JPEG Fine you can just keep shooting with both the 400x and 800x cards. You'll never fill the buffer.

So basically from a performance perspective it was worth it to buy the two Transcend 400x CF cards. They are affordable and worth the investment. The other reason for my need to upgrade was also to allow all of my pictures to be quickly transferred to my PC. The read times are allot quicker with these 400x cards compared to the x133 cards. This means all my photo's get transferred to my PC quicker.

Transcend is now my "go to" memory card company. I've been using their products since 2012 and I've yet to have an issue. For my newer DSLR's I bough the 300x SDHC cards. I own 8 of them and they all have been perfect.
on May 4, 2014
While this isn't the fastest of the cards out there, for the price it's not bad at all especially if you don't a lot of burst shooting with sports and wildlife which at medium & small RAW will give you plenty. Even for a small event, large RAW should cover majority but of course having a spare wouldn't be a bad idea of course.

My 7D with the latest firmware registered the following in burst mode before it slowed down:

RAW: 19 frames, 15 second write
Medium RAW: 28 frames, 12 second write
Small RAW: 40 frames, 11 sec write

Large JPG: 27 frames, 5 sec write
Medium & Small RAW: Felt like it won't stop (330+ with medium JPG without any slow down)

Obviously for quality photos you'd want to use larger image quality but to take advantage of this card to a degree if you have the 7D, make sure your firmware is updated. (I did have to insert the CF into my reader in order to write as it wouldn't write the firmware connected to the PC directly on Win 7 64-bit O/S.)

Minor note: Compact flash unlike other media without the contacts exposed I feel is both good and bad. When I inserted into my CF reader I noticed a bit of dust build up that CF picked up. I just dusted them off without blowing in towards the holes.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase but once I start shooting the local sports league seriously I'll have to see if I do need a faster write card (probably wouldn't hurt either way). But a bargain card anyone should get! I've never had a problem with any of my Transcend purchase in the past so I hope this one will go a long way.
on March 7, 2013
I am starting to dislike Amazon. I am thinking of buying the Transcend 32GB 400x card. Came back to Amazon, because this WAS the place to research what others are buying, using, and if there is a lemon out there. But I guess Amazon does not realize that a 16GB card is not the same as a 32GB card or 64GB card. Amazon puts the reviews all in one group now. The actual 5 star rating is useless. I have the 16GB 400x Transcend card and it has never lost a file in the two years I have used it as my primary card. As all my other cards are Lexar, ScanDisk and Adata. None of my cards every has lost a file/picture. The Trancsend was priced right when I bought it and I figured give it a shot. Now as it is twice the size of all my other cards it is my daily card and unless I am doing an event that requires rotating cards the other cards never come out. I would estimate 50,000 of my pictures have passed through this one card.

So for those looking at the 16GB 400x Transcend card this one is a winner. Now to maybe try the 32GB card, after trying to read the current 331 reviews that apply to ALL cards, the 32GB card, and maybe some others, and of course Amazon believes all size cards and all speed cards from Transcend work exactly the same, so they are all lumped into 331 reviews instead of reviews for each card being kept with each card.

Thanks Amazon, I have plenty of time to waste reading ALL 331 reviews of ALL the cards to find the reviews for what I am thinking of buying. Maybe it is time to look at NewEgg and buy there. Anybody know which vendors have a brain and know not to lump all reviews on all cards? Thanks for any help I can get.

Amazon, why bother giving part numbers of the cards you sell, the reviews DO NOT MATCH the item, and most reviewers do not know to put the part number in their review.

I ALSO BOUGHT THE 32GB VERSION TS32GCF400, it is working just fine and is now my main CF card. Amazon does NOT allow a review of the second card so I have added it here.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2010
I bought this card because I had previously purchased Transcend's sdhc card and been satisfied with the purchase. I saw some reviews that said those cards were not as fast as the SanDisk Extreme sdhc cards, but after doing some timing tests between the two types of cards (you can see my review of the Sandisk Extreme sdhc cards for the results of those tests) I decided the Transcend cards were fast enough (as well as being much less expensive) and bought more of them.

My new camera requires compact flash cards so I started looking at the reviews of the Transcend compact flash cards. I saw some reviews by unhappy users, so only bought one card initially. I am pleased to say that I have had no issues with my card. Canon says that I should be able to take 15 continuous raw photos before the buffer fills up and I find using this card I can take 26 before the shutter slows down indicating a reasonable write rate. I have had no issues using the card in full HD movie mode and have had no problems copying the images to my computer. I was pleased enough that I bought a second card yesterday and expect to buy more in the future.

I have not done timing tests between Transcend's 400x and the equivalent SanDisk compact flash cards to see if there was any significant difference, but found with the sdhc cards the only real difference between the class 10 sdhc cards was the formatting time. As of now I am completely satisfied with this card and feel I can recommend it.
on August 13, 2014
Cameras tested: Sony DSLR-A900, A700, A300, A100, Konica-Minolta DiMage A2
Card Readers tested: Transcend USB 3.0 on Windows 8.1 x64, transfer sizes ranging from 32KB-1024KB

PRO:
-Fantastic price
-Large capacity
-High speed (not the highest, but, sufficient for most cameras)
-UDMA7 support

CON:
-Could be even faster I suppose
-Doesn't fit many recent cameras (many use SDXC only)

Benchmarked at:
Read: 83 MB/s
Write: 40 MB/s

This card is just as fast as advertised. At the time of writing, it hits the perfect balance of price, capacity, and performance: $1 per GB, less-than $1 per MB/s Write.
on September 3, 2010
Loved the price. Warranty on box says lifetime, can't beat that. So since no one else put this information down, I figured I would. In a Canon 7D, shooting in RAW, you can take 25 pictures using high speed shutter setting (8 frames a second) before the buffer fills and you have to wait. Its more than a couple of seconds, but then I could do it again.I would suspect that using jpg would be more than double that and jpg lower quality or smaller size would much,much higher. Since I don't shoot jpg I didn't check. If you own a 7D and do shoot jpg instead of RAW, don't hesitate. Holds ~500 RAW images on a 7D. Since I rarely shoot at 8 frames a second, this card more than meets my needs, see [...]. I was instructed by Neil Cowley to never put all your images on one card in case something happens to it which is why I didn't purchase the 32GB cards. Very good advice from an excellent professional.
on May 18, 2011
I recently returned from a trip to Amsterdam. I took over 500 photos using this card. When I attempted to copy the files to my pc, I got a copy error.
Then the pc couldn't recognize the card. My camera said it wasn't formatted. I was able to copy about half the files. I took the card to a shop; they told me
the card was faulty. Needless to say, I'll never buy this brand again. Guess I'll have to go back to Amsterdam.
on August 31, 2013
I'm a professional cinematographer and wind up shooting a LOT of HD video on my 5D mark3 and this card hasn't let me down or received a single error yet. I actually prefer these less-expensive Transcend cards to the high-priced "Pro" or "Extreme" type cards offered from other manufacturers. 400x is more than enough to shoot DSLR HD video (as long as you're not using some new RAW video format). I've actually received errors and issues from those higher-priced cards much more often than from these Transcend cards, so now I use almost exclusively Transcend cards. I do like to make sure the little cine slate with the "20" appears on the card so I know it's actually intended for DSLR HD video, but I've found the older 400x cards to work well too.
on February 3, 2012
I know what you are thinking: Transcend isn't a name brand like Sandisk, but the price is so deliciously temping, so what should I do? Well, you read many Amazon reviews like I did. And you learn a few things.

One thing you learn is that you should always use the camera's FORMAT function to wipe a card clean. I do this religiously. I've never lost an image yet.

Another thing you learn is that all flash cards have a limited lifetime. What?! That I wasn't expecting. I thought this stuff was solid state, and it was supposed to last forever. Then you learn about NAND gates getting 1,000,000 actuations and wear leveling, and then you are mostly comforted. But, if you are like me, you get a Sharpie and label each of your cards so that you know which ones got the most use.

But what about Transcend vs. other brands? I got this 32GB card, threw it in my camera, and shot away. I have had no problems. I download the images using a multi-card reader. The data moved fast. In essence, I don't really have to think about the card, and that's just the way I like it.

UPDATE

I've been using this card for awhile now, and I have never had a problem. I can pessimistically put 1200 RAW images on one car -- that's awesome.
on January 17, 2014
I bought this memory card quite some time ago and never got around to reviewing it... maybe because I didn't want to relive the horror that I'd experienced. But here we go anyway...

After a month or so of use in my Canon 7D, I started having issues with my camera not turning on, etc. First, I thought there was something wrong with my camera, but when I opened up the compartment for the memory card, I smelled something burnt. Of course, I freaked out, thinking my Canon had burnt up. But I came to find out that the memory card was actually burnt inside of the camera... it was all cracked and smelled like a toaster on fire. Thank God it didn't ruin my camera, but I imagine it would have had I let it sit in there any longer. I called and wrote Transcend afterwards... no response whatsoever.