Hill Climb Racing 2 BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

One of the complaints I see a lot about these high capacity jump drives is failure of the media, which will then not reformat, leaving a dead device.

I've been using this regularly for three months now with no problem. I haven't really used a lot of these over the years, so I'm no expert on how "fast" they are supposed to save and read files. However, I haven't at any time felt like I was waiting too long for even large file transfers to complete.

The unit has a convenient slide to protect or extrude the USB connector. When fully extruded, it locks into position so that you don't just push the USB connector back into the cover when you try to plug it into a computer. However, make sure that you aren't putting pressure on the slide button when trying to plug it in, or you can accidentally release it anyway.

I'm happy with this device and feel no qualms about recommending it to other customers.
on October 2, 2010
I've had several Transcend flash drives and find them to be quite good and fast. This flash has lots of room for storage and a free software download that gives you all sorts of extras, including a place to save passwords, a browser and a whole lot more --- plus easy syncing of data.

Not much you can say about storage other than it's fast and dependable with free software to help make your life and work easier. It's a nice looking little unit and I really like the way you simply slide the connection out.

UPDATE: I accidentally left my Transcend in my jeans and washed them. I'm pleased to report that the Transcend manned up and worked as well as before it took a bath. While I don't recommend this sort of treatment, it's good to know this little guy can take a bit of rough treatment.

Highly recommended.

-- Susanna K. Hutcheson
44 comments| 158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought a Transcend 16 GB JetFlash 500 Retractable USB Flash Drive back in September 2010. I have it connected to my desktop PC as secondary storage most of the time, only occasionally remove it to transfer files. So far it worked perfectly fine for the past 1.5 years. It should be noted that I have used at least half a dozen USB drives and more than 20 flash memory cards in the past decade, and none of them ever failed on me. So it could be that I am just more careful with semiconductor devices (I always discharge myself of any possible electrostatic charge before handling memory cards, for example)

Physically, this Transcend USB flash drive looks almost identical to the SanDisk Cruzer Micro 16GB drive. The retractable USB plug on the Transcend drive also works EXACTLY the same way as the Sandisk (I'm surprised that somebody hasn't got sued yet). But that's where the similarity ends, because the Transcend JetFlash is a whole lot faster!

When I first received this Transcend JetFlash drive, I put it through several benchmark programs, to compare against the Sandisk Cruzer Micro:

- For typical photo files, write speed of the Transcend varies from 6.8MB/s (for 1MB file) to 11.3MB/s (for 5MB file). In contrast, the Sandisk only ranges from 2.0MB/s to 3.5MB/s. That means the Transcend is about 3x faster than the Sandisk! (See my Customer Images for details)

- For very large video files, the Transcend writes at about 7.8MB/s, while the Sandisk only reaches 5.1MB/s. The difference in smaller but still significant.

In terms of storage space: The Transcend drive reports 15.1GB of total capacity, while the Sandisk drive reports 14.9GB. Note that it is normal for a '16GB' flash drive to show only 14.9GB of storage, because 14.9GB for computer people (where 1GB = 2 to the power 30) actually translates to about 16,000,000,000 bytes. So that can be called '16GB' according to marketing people (where 1GB = one billion bytes).

In summary, the Transcend JetFalsh 16GB drive looks and works just like the Sandisk Cruzer Micro, but its write speed is +50% to +200% faster than the latter. At the present price of just over $0.80 per GB (which is half of what I paid for my unit just 20 months ago), it is a great value.

On the other hand, right now you can get the Kingston DataTraveler 16 GB Flash Drive DT101G2 for about the same price, but the Kingston is faster in writing large files (11.4MB/s compared to 7.8MB/s). So overall I have to rate the Kingston drive 5-star and the Transcend drive 4-star.

Some additional notes:
- Several reviewers have reported bad experiences using this USB drive on the Xbox 360. Right now your only safe bet is to get the Xbox 360 - 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive by SanDisk, which costs twice as much.

- If you don't intend to use the software supplied by Transcend, simply rename the file "Autorun.inf" (located at the root directory of this drive) to something else, such as "Autorun._inf". Then you can use it as a simple USB storage device.
review image review image
on September 1, 2013
I bought it for ONE main reason. I wanted to use it as extra memory for my Samsung TAB 7" tablet. I got the OTG dongle and have used it with no problem. I watch my movies and shows and swap them around. Nothing like a 9 hour flight to test it.

I am sure as to the warranty period on this drive is a lifetime warranty as shown on the Transcend web site

So following my policy of having two copies of everything I am not worried about a failure. All the Transcend cards I have are working fine, and have never failed me. I have two Cf cards with my last vacation on them, and a copy on my hard drive, just as I do my work files.

I can not understand those who experience a failure do not get them replaced, and I never trust a card in the first several months in mission critical work.

After my last trip I wiped this USB drive clean and backup pictures to it, and of course have them on my laptop and desktop till they are put in the cloud then will be put on a backup hard drive and files away. Once filed away this USB drive will go back to movies and be used by my tablet as added memory. It is much easier to move things from my desktop to the USB drive.
on January 4, 2011
First off, I have been a fan of SanDisk Cruzer USB flash drives. I have a total of 6 different ones. The last one I bought failed the day I used it. When I contacted them, they didnt seem to interested in fixing my issue...so here comes the Transcend Flash USB Drive.

What I liked about it first off, is that is was so like the SanDisk versions. I hate have a loose cap to cover the connector with. With the retractable USB connector, this was already an appeal to me.

Next was the color. I know this isn't normally an important thing, but when looking at this black/green thing compared to my normal black/white colors, it was a bit to like. After receiving it though, the bit of green it has been that big of a deal. The way they made the button on the push in/out of the USB is actually easier since it is a bit wider for a finger and immediately makes me love the design and ignore color. The USB drive seems a bit longer than the SanDisk, but not enough to really matter.

The speeds of the drive seem to match that of other reviews. It is putting out the 2.0 specs that I expected to get when using this device.

One thing I missed was the lack of keyring on the USB device. At this point though, I use a Case Logic USB case to hold all my USB devices in so it doesn't matter as much as it did a couple of years ago.

Another disappointment is that there is no light indicating that the computer knows it is there or that it is transferring files as the SanDisk did.

One last note, at $21+ and a 16g USB from a brand that can be trusted, even by photographers who use their SD cards for their cameras, you can't go wrong! Highly recommended!

Update 12/21/2013: I just wanted to add that I still use this USB stick and is still working great for me.
on February 12, 2012
OK folks. I have 3 USB flash drives. A Corsair Survivor 8 gig, The Transcend 16 gig being reviewed and a Memorex 32 gig which is physically the smallest. It's only 2 1/4" long with its cap on!
So I decided to compare the 3 by writing a 3.84 gig video file to all the drives. I used the simple 'Send to' in the context menu. Results: Memorex was first at 7:28 followed closely by the Corsair at 7:59. The Transcend fell way off the mark at 11:28, a full 4 minutes slower than the Memorex drive.
Then I used a program called Eraser that overwrites the file. This is very similar to read speed as it must read what it's overwriting. Again the Memorex drive was the quickest at 8:19. The Transcend did it in 11:32. Almost exactly the time it too to write it. So read and write speed of the Transcend are identical. What about the Corsair you ask? Unbelievable even too me, it took 24:32 to read it!! That's more than 3 times longer than it took to write the file!
In summary, the Transcend drive is 'decent', but don't expect it to be as fast as other drives you may possess. I have had no issues with the slider, however the plug fits very loosely in the USB port and can loose contact if you are not careful. I think a lot of people complaining about the slider must play with them, causing it to wear out prematurely.
Physically, this Transcend 16 GB JetFlash 500 Retractable USB 2.0 Flash Drive looks almost identical to the SanDisk Cruzer Micro 16GB drive. The retractable USB plug on the Transcend drive also works EXACTLY the same way as the Sandisk (I'm surprised that somebody hasn't got sued yet). But that's where the similarity ends, because the Transcend JetFlash is a whole lot faster!

A bit of background information: I own both the Sandisk Cruzer Micro 4GB and 16GB versions. What I noticed is that the 16GB version is much slower than the 4GB version, especially when witting data. I even contacted Sandisk customer support, trying to find out what is the speed of Cruzer Micro. The response I got was quite useless:
"There is no guaranteed speed for SanDisk Cruzer Micro flash drives, as the speed for these flash drives have not been tested. If you need a flash drive with fast data transfer speed, we recommend SanDisk Extreme Cruzer Contour for this."

Prior to ordering this JetFlash drive, I visited the Transcend USA web site to search for information. Surprise, surprise! The data transfer speed of JetFlash 500 (under the 'V' series) is actually specified as:
"Read 15 MByte/s, Write 7 MByte/s (16GB)"

Once I received this Transcend JetFlash drive, I put it through several benchmark programs, to compare against the Sandisk Cruzer Micro:

In summary, the Transcend JetFalsh 16GB drive looks and works just like the Sandisk Cruzer Micro, but its write speed is +50% to +200% faster than the latter. As of this writing, both drives are available at similar prices, so this makes the Transcend a much better value.

[Update on Nov 3, 2010]:
- The price of this Transcend USB drive dropped further during the past two months. So now it is an even better value.

[Update on April 7, 2012]:
I have my Transcend USB drive connected to my desktop PC as secondary storage most of the time, only occassionally remove it to transfer files. So far it worked perfectly fine for 1.5 years. It should be noted that I have used at least half a dozen USB drives and at least 20 flash memory cards in the past decade, and none of them ever failed on me. So it could be that I am just more careful with semiconductor devices (I always discharge myself of any possible electrostatic charge before handling memory cards, for example)
review image review image review image
4040 comments| 536 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 23, 2012
Short version: fantastic bargain, 32 gb for under $20, and for large files it's more than twice as fast as the Sandisk Cruzer 8 gb that I had been using. Mediocre build quality.

Longer version: I never expected a large capacity USB flash drive to be this fast. My first test was transferring 12 large video files, 4.1 gb, to both drives:

--- Sandisk Cruzer 8 gb -- 4-5 mb/second, 14 minutes

--- Transcend Jetflash 32 gb -- 11-12 mb/sec, 6 minutes.

Transcend wins by a mile.

Second test was 450 mb of mixed files, 2100 items total:

--- Sandisk Cruzer 8 gb -- 2-3 mb/sec, 2 minutes 45 seconds.

--- Transcend Jetflash 32 gb -- 1-2 mb/sec, 3 minutes.

Sandisk wins by a nose. Between capacity and speed on the large files, I'm calling Transcend the clear winner.

It has mediocre build quality -- a cheap, rattly plastic case, probably not sturdy enough for a key ring, or other forms of banging around. The LED operating light is barely visible. For the money I paid, though, neither of these are an issue for me.

I highly recommend this flash drive.
on March 10, 2014
I have several thumb drives around the house. They're useful for all manner of things -- data backups, data transfers, gifts to friends, etc. -- and I've learned to just make all my purchases from Transcend. The brand just works for me. This one wasn't blazingly fast in data transfer rates, but it's USB 2.0, so what do you expect? It's a good thumb drive. I love the retractable plug, too, because I always ALWAYS lose the caps of the ones I get that have caps. I also like that this one is a little on the big side -- there's a point with thumb drives where they're actually inconveniently small. This one has a good size to it without being clunky and heavy.
on September 16, 2012
Transcend 32 GB JetFlash 500 Retractable USB Flash Drive - TS32GJF500E (Black)
I should know by now to avoid "add on" items. You know, after you complete a purchase up pops a message that reads something like "Today Is Your Day To Save" or other wording designed to make you think the message was formatted just for you. There are always what seem to be great items at greatly reduced prices. I have found there's always a catch. So as I said, even though it was Amazon offering this Transcend USB Flash Drive, 32BG, at a greatly reduced price, I ought to have listened to the voice of experience and just clicked "No Thanks".
Instead I received a Flash Drive that can best be described as "rinky-dink".
The construction of the casing is so poorly glued together that dried glue is visible in the purple area where you push the retractable part out and into your computer. Then you discover, if you get one like I did, that the actual USB insert is off center and does not make a firm connection with the port. Until this happens Windows will not be able to recognize the drive and display it in Devices and Printers or activate Auto Play.
Realizing this was a Technical Problem requiring skill and training, I jiggled the Transcend until it did connect and a blue light flashed on. Windows recognized the drive. That is until I let go of the drive and the light went out.
The"jiggle" step is missing from Transcend's Instructions for Inserting of the Drive.

I have figured out a way to keep the light on and the drive correctly aligned in the port. But because of the potential for a break in the connection, I have not transferred anything of importance to the USB Drive. At that was the whole reason for buying it.
I'm guessing with USB 3.0 already available,manufacturers will be unloading USB 2.0 drives at lower prices than before. The problem is if the price is right and the product is poorly made. What good would it have done me to have saved some money and lost my files?
I would not purchase anything from this manufacturer again and would recommend my friends avoid this company.
I will go back to saying "No Thanks" when an offer seems to good to be true.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.