Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on April 26, 2011
I was lucky enough to wake up early today and go to Memory Express in Edmonton and they had one. Stores received a limited amount of tablets and they were all sold out within hours, including here on Amazon. I've been playing with this thing for hours now and so far I've only had great experiences with it.

The main feature for me is the remote desktop: you can access your PC, whether it's a Mac or a PC, if they're both connected to your home wi-fi connection. You can control your PC from anywhere and use all of its features. I watched a HD movie and worked on MS Word docs, everything went smoothly.
The tablet doesn't weigh much for its size and the IPS screen is amazing, it's the same screen used on the iPad 2. I'm not a person who needs to buy products made by just one brand. I like Apple and I own a iPhone 4, but when it came to deciding which tablet to buy, I went for the Transformer because it offers me a tablet/netbook function, the best of both worlds.
The tablet itself has a microSD card slot so I already have 32GB more to use it. The docking station (which can be purchased by 149.99) has 2 USB ports and 1 SD Card slot.
You can edit Microsoft Office docs on it using Polaris Office, it's great and this app comes pre-installed on it. Playing mp3s or acc files on it it's great too. You can use the app MyNet to play music from your own PC or Mac, via bluetooth.

I'm playing SNES games using SNESoid app and using a Wiimote/Classic Controller via Bluetooth and everything works great! It has native email (which Blackberry Playbook doesn't) and you can sync your calendar and contacts easily. It has full flash compatibility. For $399, there's nothing on the market with these specs. The Motorola Xoom has similar specs and it costs $200 more. It doesn't give you the option to attach a docking station with all those slots. When I buy computers, I want to be able to upload content to it easily, or transfer files from it easily as well. The Apple system is ok but needing iTunes for everything is kinda like a dictatorship. I had to jailbreak my iPhone to be able to play SNES games on it, or even listen to music on Grooveshark. That's where the Android Market comes in.

You can download any apps you want, any developer can create apps for it, it's a "free" system. It's not as wide as the App Store, but it's getting bigger and bigger by the minute. I downloaded the Kindle app and already transferred all my e-books to it (I also own a Kindle and I love it).

There are some quirks that have to be tweaked with Honeycomb 3.0 OS and that's something Google is working on. That's easy since updates will be released (an update is scheduled in 2 days). So that will improve the overall performance of the OS. But I honestly didn't have any issues with it, I really like Honeycomb 3.0 so far.

I definitely recommend this thing for people who want to use their tablets as an extension or even a replacement to their laptops. Asus has hit a home run with this one, since it costs much less than anybody else and its specs are great. It's hands down the best purchase I've had under 400 bucks.

The docking station is sold out anywhere else but I pre-ordered it on Amazon and I'm hoping to get it in a couple of weeks. I'll post a video with the combo once I get everything up and running. I'm a iOS person who's welcoming Android with open arms!

Review Update: Apr 29 2011 - Ok, so I've been using my Transformer for a few days so I'd like to add a few pros and cons to this review.

Pros: beside what's been mentioned above, I noticed that:

- multitasking is really easy on the Transformer. You can quickly jump from one app to the other, check e-mails, browse something on Wikipedia, listen to music and even have your Skype session open at the same time. I was chatting with my dad and multitasking and had no issues. The Skype app needs updates, but that's nothing to do with Asus.

- File Manager: this feature is great! You don't have to hook up your Transformer to your computer all the time to move, copy or paste files. You can create new folders and even transfer files from your microSD card straight to it. I transferred a movie from my microsd Card folder (path is root\removable to access microSD files) to my Movies folder and it was very quick. And I didn't need to plug it in in order to access or move the files.

- Widgets: Your Desktop Area (Or Asus Launcher) is very wide so you can add many widgets to it, and they're very handy. That's something that can't be done on the iPad 2. Mind you Widgets can affect the speed a bit, but nothing noticeable at all. Those people running speed tests between iPad 2 and the Transformer need to bear that in mind.

- Weight: believe it or not, it doesn't feel heavy at all for its size.

Cons: ok, so here it is:

-smudges on screen - it's a fingerprint magnet but all tablets are, so not a big deal. I'm cleaning it whenever needed using a nice cloth (the one that I use for lenses) with a bit of water/alcohol and it looks pristine after that. Let me know if you find a better way to clean fingerprints.
It doesn't need wiping on a daily basis. I looked it up and for IPS screens, the best way to clean it is to use a mix of distilled water and alcohol, but I'm using tap water. I like this thing so much that I would buy another one tomorrow if something happened to it! (wait, maybe not tomorrow, it's still sold out everywhere)

-HD video playback in Fullscreen mode using the YouTube App: ok, this might be Honeycomb-related and therefore something that can be dealt with via future updates. You might notice a bit of choppy frames here and there. I find the iOS more stable for this type of playback. But there's no problems playing HD video from your microSD card or even if you upload a HD video to the Transformer hard drive, you won't have problems watching it. There's more than enough RAM to support HD video streaming.

-charger: I'm planning on using it all the time, so the cord is not long enough. If I have it on a desk, I need a power bar or outlet really close by, to leave it plugged in if I wanna save some battery. Well, tablet + docking gives you 16 hrs of battery... so you really don't have to have it plugged in. But this suggestion could be emailed to Asus so they could release a charger with a longer cable, that would be sweet.

Other observations: Camera: not that great, it's an average camera. Am I gonna use it for super important pics? Definitely not, I got a nice camera for that. But for daily use, it's not too bad.

***UPDATE June 13*** - I've been using the TF for 6 weeks now, and I also have the keyboard dock, which I got 2 weeks ater getting the tab. I can safely say it has become my main "go to" device: web browsing, music, movies, games, word processing, reading books and comics, news, remote desktop, you name it. I still use my PC and my smartphone but not as much as I use the tablet.

- For people who wonder if light bleed gets worse as time goes by: I was lucky enough to get a unit with no light bleed other than a tiny spot (barely noticeable) on the left side of the tablet, and it's been the same since day 1. But compared to my friend's iPad, I can safely say mine has no light bleed whatsoever. Some of the newer batches got units with really bad lemons but I think this was due to ramping up the production like crazy. I heard they manufactured 300,000 units in June so I think they'll improve their quality control dept and make spanking sharp units now.
- Honeycomb 3.1: Asus was one of the first ones to release the 3.1 update and it fixed the YouTube app HD video issue (at least on mine). I think 1080p is overkill on a 10.1 inch screen so the 720p HD on the YouTube app works like a charm. Playing movies straight out of a SD card or USB drive is easy and there's no lag either, so feel free to pack lots of multimedia and play straight out of them without having to use your device's internal memory.

Touchscreen is much more responsive, browser is faster, animations flow more smoothly, full gamepad compatibility via USB, better "relationship" between dock and tablet. What really bugged me about 3.0 was that when I used the dock a lot of features seems to be toggled on/off. That has never happened after 3.1. So, overall, the update fixed a whole bunch of bugs and made the experience even better.

- Wrapping it up: battery life is great, using the keyboard to type long texts is handy... and I was able to tether the TF to my iPhone via w-fi, so now it works as a 3G-like tab. I've done both bluetooth and wi-fi tethering. Wi-fi is faster but bluetooth saves battery life. I basically do it to use Google Maps and GPS, and it's been great so far. I know they're releasing a 3G Transformer in the summer, but I don't need one since I don't wanna pay more fees to my carrier, and sign another 1 year contract just for more data plan. I can use this as a 3G alternative whenever I need a bigger screen. It works with the iPhone and I know it does work with Android devices, but I'm not sure if works with Blackberry phones. Let me know if you wanna know more about tethering and I'll be glad to help.

6 weeks after purchasing the TF, I'm still very pleased with my device.

UPDATE August 3rd 2011 - Honeycomb 3.2 main features - I got my 3.2 update a few days ago... there's just a few things that were updated, or changed. It wasn't as significant as 3.1, but here's what I noticed about 3.2: compatibility zoom for fixed size apps - it helps with apps that are not designed to run on larger screens like 10.1 inches. I tested it and it's actually a great improvement, compared to what it was in 3.1
Media sync from SD - I already did that before, but now you can load any media straight from the microSD card (this is more for Xoom owners)
I don't think there were any changes on high def videos, I think it still outputs in 720p, no true 1080p yet on youtube and stuff, but like I said before, 720p is more than enough on a 10 inch screen.
Better hardware acceleration, updates to widgets and Movie Studio app, now Honeycomb can also run on 7 inch tablets, and some other minor ones... I'm enjoying Honeycomb while it lasts, since it will phase out in a few months (Ice Cream Sandwich is coming). Overall, I'm still having loads of fun with the Transformer!
review imagereview imagereview image
5150+ comments| 2,254 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 28, 2011
I was one of the lucky view at the stroke of midnight on April 26th, was able to get my order in on Amazon. I just received my tablet tonight via Amazon Prime.

I've been on Android since the original T-Mobile G1 released, and have owned an iPad since September of last year, so quite awhile on both. This is my first ownership experience of a Honeycomb 3.0 tablet.

Software wise, there's not that much I can add in terms of what others haven't already said. It's VERY refreshing coming from iOS, to actually not be staring at pages and pages of useless icons. The notifications are ABSOLUTELY sweet (i.e. useful!). The app quick access with screenshots adds to a very desktop-esque experience, but with the navigability of a tablet UI.

Most things run very smooth, typical of all the standard Tegra 2 devices. Speakers are surprisingly loud, and there are actually 2 of them (stereo). Screen is absolutely gorgeous (IPS).

If you're deep in Google services, such as Gmail, Picasa, Youtube, Docs, etc. Honeycomb is a godsend. I have almost 20gb's of photos in Picasa, and after one account setup, EVERY SINGLE PICTURE synced. Pretty much all my cloud files and settings synced. From Chrome bookmarks to docs to pictures.... it seriously is a breath of fresh air to have things "just work", without the use of something like iTunes.

Granted, if you're not a Googler like me, it won't be AS beneficial, but that's not to say it's still not a great device.

It also charges FAST as hell. My iPad takes on average 6 hours to go from 0% to 100%. I haven't done a full discharge on the Asus, but it went from 7% to 100% in a little under 2 hrs. That's insane.

The not so great, both the front and rear camera seem slightly sub-par as far as clarity goes. Very usable, but not great. My only real complaint is the "tightness" of the construction. I absolutely don't mind the plastic. It's light, grippy, sturdy, and looks great. However, along the bezel where the plastic seems to meet the glass, the Transformer tends to creak. Nothing worth concern, but it would be nice for a device that's basically a slab of glass to "sound" solid in your hand.Then I think to myself, this thing cost 399... It's 100 bucks less then the cheapest iPad.

So, the question really isn't "Is this thing awesome" or "is it better then an iPad". I believe either of those answers are really up for interpretation. However, when you throw in the equation of PRICE..."Is this thing awesome for 399" , i have to give a resounding "YES!".

****** Edit : Usage Update *******

So I've been using this tablet in place of my iPad exclusively for about 4 days now, and have better insight to the Transformer.

The good is that my previous complaint about the build quality really has proven to be a really superficial concern. It does faintly creak in a couple spots, but I would have to classify the actual severity as minimal to non-existant.

Also, after reading the issues with the Asus update, I decided to proceed since it's only been documented that a handful (i.e. less then 5) people out of potential thousands have actually had issues. My update went without an issue.

I hear people complain about the lack of apps specifically for tablet. I can happily say that i haven't experience this limitation since even most non-tablet specific apps scale fine. "things look stretched out". Yes, that's actually an indication that Android was designed to scale properly (literally). Look at iOS, they literally blow up non iPad apps to the point of pixelation. Android's solution, while not ideal, is much better and most non-tablet specific apps actually work and look just fine. Having a FULL browser is incredibly helpful.

The notification system is awesome. Just this change makes this tablet twice as more productive then my iPad.

Now, admittedly, there have been more not-so-good issues that I've discovered. First off, the tablet is definitely prone to freezes and locks. On several occasions it would just freeze completely and would require a reboot. Also, there have been several times where, when going from portrait to landscape, the resolution of the screen stayed fixed. This would result in an odd partial-screen view. Usually fixed itself after a couple of seconds of rotating the tablet. Other times, presses are unresponsive, ex. opening an app. This is definitely a software issue however, not an issue with the capacitive hardware.

YouTube playback was surprisingly choppy, even in standard def. The recent update however, seemed to have improved that greatly.

Last thing, just like most Android devices, the user experience is proned to "slow-down" once you've been on it for any decent amount of time. Can't be a RAM issue as this has 1GB, and at any given time there's only 400mb or so in use.

All in all, most of these problems are directly related to Honeycomb, not Asus Transformer hardware.

In actual use case, I would say I experience one of the above problems about 1-5% of the time I'm actually using the tablet. It's not enough to make it unusable at all, it's actually been a pretty positive experience. However, I now completely understand the sentiments that Honeycomb is "half-baked". Generally speaking, people read blogs that are writing 3rd hand information to begin with, and make that comment without actually having owned a Honeycomb tablet. Well, I have, and I understand now. As a consumer device, I still think it's fine, but there's enough glaring early version issues that I probably wouldn't reccomend something like this in business or enterprise use.

Last thing, all you funny people in the comments trying to pigeon-hole me as a anti-Apple or pro-Apple, or whatever it may be... In all honesty, I'm one of the few people I've ever met that has one foot equally (and fully) planted in 3 completely separate platforms. I use iOS, OS X,Android, and Windows 7 in equal capacities at work and at home, and my mobile OS of choice (outside of tablets) has been Android for the last 3 years. I do this because I LOVE and HATE various things about ALL the OS's I use, which is why I use 4 of them to fill in each other gaps. Take that as you will.
4444 comments| 941 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Top Contributor: Petson February 9, 2015
Everyone else has covered this tablet in great detail ... at this point given the tablet is about four years old as I write this review (February 2015, tablet came out in Nov 2011 when I first purchased it) I'm guessing you're probably looking to buy a dirt-cheap (by tablet standards anyways) used version of this tablet.

Bearing in mind that modern day tablets will no doubt be much more powerful/robust/faster than this one.. I can still assure you that if you're not picky about your tablets this one will be more than sufficient... I let myself be fooled by the cheaper new tablets that run so painfully slowly that they're not even worth it (check out my review of the Sylvania SYTAB10MT 10-Inch Magni Tablet for one such horror story)... for a bit more than a new tablet that will function like a piece of crap you can get a used version of this tablet instead and be much happier.... I still find this tablet to be quick, responsive, and reliable even four years after purchasing it... at the time I purchased it I believe it won awards of some sort for being the top tablet performer in it's class (or close to the top anyways) in the year 2011 which was the deciding factor for me.

.....your one BIG drawback is the design flaw on the power button which has been known to "sink" into the case sometimes making it difficult to turn the tablet on and off (you can imagine what an issue that would be)... back in the old days when I purchased this brand new squaretrade came to my rescue and paid for shipping and handling both mailing the tablet to them and back to get the power button fixed (they replaced the whole dang motherboard in the tablet for me ! ) ... doing so "exhausted" my warranty such that it was no longer covered but I was still quite happy (thanks squaretrade ! :) ) ... I don't think squaretrade will offer a warranty for a used tablet though (maybe I'm wrong?) ... there's a video online that describes how to fix the power button problem with a cut off piece of old credit card but this assumes you're comfortable opening up your asus tablet and doing the repairs yourself (do a google search for "tampatec", "How to open and fix asus tablet" for a video... and also do a google search for "xda-developers" "bukithd" and "possible power button fix" for written instructions... really wish amazon would let us just insert links to websites instead ! )

My children were quite happy using the tablet for videos, walk-throughs when they're stuck on a particular video game... I used the tablet to read comic books and pdf's (though make sure the pdf you purchase is "tablet friendly" ... if it's too "rich" in graphics and other content the asus tablet will struggle with it ) and was satisfied for the most part with it's performance (there was the occasional "error you can't read this comic book!" type thing but my research indicates it's a problem with comic book readers in general not the asus tablet... if someone has had a different experience feel free to leave a comment on here of course ! ) ... sound is okay coming from the tiny speakers (what can you expect?) but plug a headphone in and you'll be happy.. definitely splurge for the micro SD card you can slot into it to increase storage, those little things are cheap as all heck nowadays especially say during a Black Friday or Cyber Monday or Christmas sale... I did not bother using the tablet to take pictures, conduct skype or other video calls or the like so can't speak to the tablet's performance in this regard.

I never bothered purchasing the keyboard you can plug into this and was quite happy with the tablet's performance even without it. For all I know said keyboard might make it even better/easier to use turning it into a "mini computer" of sorts who knows? And I believe the keyboard lets you plug additional sd cards in for additional storage ? ... Not sure if you will end up getting the charger with this or not if you buy it used.. I ended up purchasing the EastVita Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 Wall Charger Power Adapter back in Dec 2012 to replace the data cable/power cable plug into the wall/transfer data onto the cable thing that originally came with the asus tablet when I bought it new (the asus original was NOT built to last and started falling apart on me ) .. I've been very happy with the new charger works like a charm even now 3 years later... of course now that the failing data cable / power supply thing that Asus originally enclosed fell apart on me completely now I need to purchase a new cable to transfer data back and forth between the asus tablet and the PC (though there's a "workaround" if you put the data on the SD card and plug that into the PC then plug the SD card back into the tablet)... I'll try to remember to update this review with the data cable I purchased and let you know how it worked... (EDIT AND UPDATE.. the charger stopped working for me in March 2015, a little over 3 years after purchasing it.... given how finicky electronics can be I'm not that upset about it, especially given how cheap it's selling for! I ended up just buying a new one that's working great right out of the box far as charging my tablet.. Even given the 3 year lifespan it's still put together much more solidly/much sturdier than the "official" asus charger/usb sync cable combo that literally fell apart on me after my first year of using it. I'd recommend buying this charger, using it exclusively to charge the tablet, and saving the sync/charging cord that comes with the tablet solely for syncing info / downloading stuff between the PC and your tablet)

Overall, if you're looking for a cheap budget used tablet that won't break the bank you'll be quite happy with this... obviously if you're buying used make sure you're purchasing it from has a decent return policy (talk to the seller beforehand maybe?) in case the tablet isn't working properly when it gets to you in the mail...

EDIT AND UPDATE... shortly after posting this review started having problems charging the tablet .. but in all fairness, four year old tablet, you would expect the battery in the tablet to die after four years of usage anyways (given how heavily we were using the tablet to begin with)... this may be a problem for you if you are buying this tablet used, which I'm sure will be the case (why pay the retail price for this when newer tablets for the same price are probably faster, more powerful and so forth? Again as mentioned above makes a great used tablet if you don't need the "latest and greatest" tablet).... in this case google search is your friend as far as instructional videos.. search for the following terms ... youtube, NewLife2OldStuff, asus TF-101 (or TF101), and replace battery ... then do a second search with the same words except replace NewLife2OldStuff with trinhkets... this should result in two videos (which should hopefully be still posted and up there on the internet by the time you read this review) that both teach you how to replace the battery in your tablet, the first video takes you through it nice and slow step by step, the second video is a bit too fast in my opinion but it tells you the tools and type of battery you'll need to purchase...

The videos make it look like a big scary complicated deal replacing the battery.. but honestly, it's not, I did it, the most annoying thing for me was prying the outer case off the tablet to get at the insides of it and after that no big deal ... the tools and battery that you need are relatively cheap on certain websites (such as the one beginning with "e" and ending with "y" that is amazon's biggest competition) when you compare it to the cost of bringing this tablet in to a professional which would NOT be worth the cost in labor they'd charge you in my opinion (assuming the professional would even bother to replace a battery in a tablet this old to begin with... the professional in my area said the battery was too old for them to keep in stock anymore, the other professional I e-mailed never got back to me about it so that probably tells you something right there)... You'll need a t-5 screwdriver/stardriver, a phillips head screwdriver sized for 000 size screws, and a prying tool for electronics (a search for those key words on amazon's biggest competition as mentioned above should turn them up easily) and of course the asus tf-101 (or you can just type asus tf101) battery (which can also be found on that "other" website).

Battery replacement may be a necessity given that you'd be buying this tablet used.. then again maybe the previous owner was a "light" tablet user and you won't need to replace the battery for a long while? Opening this up will void your warranty but.. then again if you're buying this used from some third party seller (unless Asus has some sort of strange sale where they sell these with a "limited warranty" or something ) then you might not be able to take advantage of the warranty to begin with (check with Asus I guess to see what your options are far as warranty.. in my case I knew after four years it was unlikely my tablet would still be under warranty).

I also noticed I had to charge my tablet overnight (as in leave it plugged in for about 8 or 9 hours or so with the tablet turned off) before my tablet figured out that it had a new battery in it and showed a 100 percent charge.. after that however worked great, charged up without any problem at all !
on October 21, 2011
I'm a nerd. Let's get that out of the way right now. I grew up using and working with computers, I pursued a career as a computer repair technician and I spend almost every minute of my free time on a computer. I love technology.

But I also live with severe social anxiety disorder (pre-existing condition, not a result of spending too much time with computers. sorry, pseudo-psychologists, no fodder here), which inhibits me in telephone usage. Meaning, I don't have a smartphone. Until six weeks ago, I didn't even know what Android was, because I'd never handled anything that used it. I left the repair industry five years ago, after being "promoted" to a deskside support position for a facility with 2500+ on-site clients, and before the smartphone/tablet boom began. As a result, I was utterly in the dark about things of this nature, so I see a device like this from two perspectives, as an enthusiast and as a neophyte.

Coming from the desktop platform, I initially scoffed at the "meager" 1GB of RAM and 1Ghz CPU speed, the "paltry" 16-32GB of on-board storage and the "tiny" 10.1" LCD. I'd grown accustomed to big numbers attached to my hardware and a big display on my desk... and then I remembered that I used a PDA with a fraction of those specs and a laptop which wasn't much faster or "better", and realized that what I was looking at wasn't merely a phone with a bigger screen, or a scaled down laptop, but the evolution of computing. 20 years ago, I told someone that we'd have devices like these in our hands in the not-too-distant future, but until a few months ago, I just never noticed that we'd already reached that point. The more I read about tablets, the more impressed and intrigued I was, and finally, six weeks ago, I convinced myself to take the plunge.

I think what impresses me most about this tablet is how seamlessly the hardware and software are integrated. There's a layer of abstraction, of separation, in using a "normal" computer. You click a button, press a key, do everything through the proxies of input devices. It's just how most modern OS' work. You use the computer, but you don't interact directly with it, it's a usage distinctly segregated from the machine itself. Android is different. It's fundamentally different, even though it uses the same basic principles in many ways. You interact directly with the tablet, without external devices to slow you down or force you to do things in a specific way, and that interaction is no different from what we, in our modern, high tech society, are trained to do practically from birth. Push buttons and turn pages. It's as simple as that with Android, you're pushing buttons and turning pages. No need to search for your mouse pointer before you click something, no keyboard shortcuts to memorize, nothing to drag your eyes away from the screen, everything is right there, at the tips of your fingers. Using a tablet is an entirely different experience from using a desktop, or even laptop, computer. This is what blows the neophyte in me away, the part of me which is completely unfamiliar with Android and touchscreens (aside from primitive resistive devices, such as POS' and ATMs). It's intuitive and intelligent, and it's... beautiful. The "click" part of the point and click interface has been discarded, simplifying everything in such a manner as to make it seem like it should always have been done like this.

The nerdy part of me is thrilled with Android. I've spent more than my fair share of time tweaking and twisting various iterations of Windows, Apple OS' and desktop versions of Linux to fit my "needs", but none of them ever approached the flexibility and simplicity of Android. I've got a B70 tablet, one of the ones which can't be rooted (yet), but for the first time, I don't feel an overwhelming need to dig into the guts of the OS and change dozens of things just to make it work "correctly". It already does everything that I want it to do, and every time I think of something new, I realize that it's already got that functionality built in or someone else has made it available as a third-party application. Installing a program, an app, is as simple as visiting the Android Market or Amazon Appstore (or downloading a package (a .apk file)), picking what I want and letting it install itself. Minimal prompts to slog through to get to the meat of the matter, no forced reboots, BSODs or kernel panics, no drivers to bother with, apps just install and work. And the look and feel of Android, specifically Honeycomb, is magnificent. It's not the haptic adaptive interface portrayed in Mass Effect or Minority Report, but it is a step in that direction and it's actually enjoyable to use and interact with.

My inner geek is also more than satisfied at how well this OS runs on the hardware. Will it let me play Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect or Portal 2? Nope. But that's why I still have a desktop. What I can do is almost everything else that I currently do, or used to do, with my other devices. Video, music, note taking, mileage logs, reading books, catching up on news, weather reports, surfing, e-mail, spreadsheets, planning trips, indulging in amateur astronomy, timer, clock, alarm and even "casual" games and more than I can think of without making a list. The Transformer has replaced my PDA, camera and laptop, and is now my default device for daily computer usage. About the only thing I do with my desktop is watch television (Dscaler and a TV tuner card acting as a pass-through device for a DirecTV box), rip my DVD collection and play "serious" games. Well, and write reviews like this, because I haven't adapted to the on-screen keyboard yet. >.>

Wi-Fi connectivity is excellent. I'm picking up networks all over my block, far outside of the range at which I should be seeing them, and where I do connect, it's stable and usable even at bar. Battery life is at least twice what my laptop could ever achieve. I conducted an impromptu test, running a two hour movie all the way through on a full charge and ended up right at 75%. That was with Wi-Fi on, indicating that I should have 8+ hours of video time if I turn off Wi-Fi. In sleep mode, with Wi-Fi set to turn off when the screen does, it consumes practically no power and can sit for days without being recharged. The screen is brilliant, so much so that I keep it turned down to 25-33% for normal usage and only turn it up when watching videos or showing something to someone with vision problems. Touch response precision is excellent, and it's almost too sensitive (tends to respond to the slightest brush or twitch, but that's as much me as it is the tablet).

Two of the main selling points for me were the GPS functionality and ability to charge via USB. Other than going to work, grocery shopping or trips to the bank, I almost never leave my house, largely due to a fear of getting lost and having to ask someone for help to get home. Having a tablet with fully functional GPS gives me a freedom that I've never had before. I'll be turning 40 next year, and for the first time in my life, I'm actually planning a trip that takes me farther than a few miles away from home. I dug through dozens of reviews before I decided to buy the Transformer, learned that "assisted GPS" was no less functional than "true GPS", and that people had tested the Transformer specifically and found that it worked as well as "true GPS", then tested it myself after I got the tablet. With Wi-Fi turned off, I was still able to track as many as nine GPS satellites. From my bedroom. It works, it works without requiring a 3G/4G cell tower nearby, it works without being connected to the Internet. So, while it is assisted GPS, it's not limited to only working if you meet the right qualifications or jump through the correct sequence of hoops. It works, period.

USB charging was important to me because, if I'm going to use a tablet to enable me to go on long trips and camping expeditions, it had to be possible to charge it without being next to an AC outlet. As with GPS, I spent a lot of time researching which tablets could be charged without a wall wart or other AC source, and it turned out that the Transformer was capable of USB charging. It's only a trickle charge if it's plugged into a USB 2.0 port, and even that only works if it's turned off, but that also means it can be charged via solar panels or car cigarette lighter adapter, and that satisfies my second primary requirement for a tablet. There were other tablets which accepted a charge through USB, but none at this price point, and that was my third specification for the tablet I was going to buy, a reasonable price. The Transformer was the only one which met all three.

It's not all sunshine and roses, of course. The Transformer isn't without its flaws. The location of the power/data port was not well thought out, as it makes it uncomfortable to use while plugged in unless you turn it upside down or use it in portrait mode, and it makes finding (or making) a stand for the tablet a difficult process. The power cord itself is far too short and thin. The built-in microphone is also poorly located (really should be somewhere on the front, rather than on the right side). The mini-HDMI slot and micro-SDHC slot are too similar in size and shape, and both located on the right side, making it very easy for a new user to confuse them (guilty). My Transformer has a a few very small spots of clouding (what others refer to as "light bleed") on the bottom, and it does creak a bit if I give it a squeeze right above the power/data port. Initially, in the first week, I would have also said that the screen not responding to touch and activating while in sleep mode was an oversight or flaw, but I've come to prefer that it doesn't work that way, as it prevents it from constantly turning itself on when stowed for transit or moved, which would impact battery life. The IPS LCD is also prone to "burn-in". It's not permanent (unlike old monochrome CRTs, or the ATM i use at the local grocery store), but it can be disconcerting to see. The default wallpaper selection tool, the Gallery app, is horrid, just awful for setting wallpaper (use Wallpaper Wizardrii, it's free and works a thousand times better). You can't remove the Google Search widget, it's bolted into the home screens, but that's a personal preference, not a flaw. Um... the Water live wallpaper that Asus included doesn't properly register a level surface... and you can't completely get rid of some of the useless or unwanted bloatware apps without rooting. I could probably come up with at least a dozen other minor quibbles, but on the whole, none of the things that I've covered actually impact the performance or usability of the tablet. It's stable, reliable and versatile, and whatever complaints I might have, they're really little more than a list of "things I would've done differently if I were making a tablet".

Some of my dislikes are likely to be addressed in the Android 4.0 update, Ice Cream Sandwich, which has been confirmed to be coming to the Transformer some time in the next few months. It shouldn't be much of a departure from Honeycomb, based on what I've seen thus far, more of a change for phones than tablets, really. I'm rubbing my hands eagerly in anticipation of it, even if it won't be much more than some minor improvements or new apps for tablets.

So that's my six week review. Six of the best weeks of my computer-using life. I've learned a lot, and rediscovered an enthusiasm I haven't had in over a decade. Prices on other tablets have dropped quite a bit in the last month, some offering more features at a slightly lower price than what I paid for my Transformer. I still check, a habit I developed after spending several months shopping around the tablet market, and occasionally, I stop and ask myself if buying this tablet was the right decision. Then I look at what I'm holding in my hand, and that soft smile touches my lips, and I know that this was the only tablet I could have ever purchased. Whatever issues I might have with it, however low prices on other tablets might drop, even if the Transformer Prime (the next version of this tablet) had been released the day after I bought this one, I just can't feel anything but joy for what I have now. It's just that good, and better than anything I expected, wanted or thought I could get.
22 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 29, 2011
The only caution I give someone before buying this is to know what they are getting, 90% of the negative feedbacks I have seen on this item were entirely the customers fault for not being properly informed about the product. Don't get a non-Apple product and expect to use iTunes, don't get a wi-fi only tablet and then gripe about no phone capability, and please don't buy it for the camera (yes it has one but no phone or tablet really takes good pics). For what it does it is a great platform. I can browse the internet almost as fast as on my 3.4 gHz-6 GB ram computer and downloading a 1000-page kindle book takes about 20 secs. Works GREAT as book reader. Battery really does last about 10 hours (was just using as book reader the other day and it lasted about 13). And having the USB and SD card slots is very handy for easy sharing of pics/data from one device to another. I highly recommend getting a case and screen protectors to help protect your tablet; got one of the AmCase screen protectors and they fit perfectly and are relatively easy to apply. Overall this is a great product that so far has exceeded my expectations.

Edit 9/27/2014: after about 3 years this tablet is still running well, only thing that has gone wrong is the sound doesn't work anymore. Not surprising considering it has been dropped and bounced around quite a bit. I have never had any serious issues with it and the battery still holds a reasonable charge. This is still a very solid option for someone who doesn't need anything too fancy.
on June 8, 2011
The ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101-A1 is a great new Android 3.0 tablet (3.1 update available) for the rest of us who aren't attracted to luxury brand names over capability and functionality. I now leave my laptop at home while on business travel, as I am able to handle my VPN accessed work email, administrative requirements, Word document view/editing (compatible), Excel spreadsheet view/editing (compatible), PowerPoint view/editing/presentation (compatible) via both HDMI and DAC VGA, video presentation via both HDMI and DAC VGA, right from the tablet and it has performed very well. It is light weight (compared to my netbooks or laptop), the battery has a long life (7+ hours for my general use), the IPS display is clear and crisp, and the build quality is solid (despite appearance, and some slight plastic-on-plastic creaking when squeezed in just the right way (or wrong way)).

The performance is 5 stars, but I am only giving it 4 stars as the full functionality isn't available without a few missing accessories (ASUS has a new case, mini HMDI, DAC VGA module, docking port USB cable coming... sometime in the future), and the failed supply/availability. If you don't want the extra battery life, and weight that goes with it, I recommend a bluetooth keyboard (there's a small folding qwerty keyboard here on Amazon for a reasonable price).

A word of caution - this table sells for $399 when sold by an authorized ASUS reseller, which is just about any major retailer. Do not support the vultures trying to capitalize on the shortage, as they are no better than gray marketers. They have purchased thier inventory from a major retailer only to resell them here on Amazon (or eBay) and reap large profits for doing nothing more than depleting and monopolizing the limited availability of the ASUS Transformer. More are on the way from ASUS, and they will sell for $399. I am going to buy another one, as my daughter wants to replace her netbook, but I will wait until the "real" $399 shipment comes in and not contribute to vulture piracy. Amazon should not support this type of 'dark market resale' and neither should we - don't feed the animals!

Update: ~2 weeks after my 2nd Transformer purchase.
I've been using the Bluetooth keyboard with the Transformer for a while now, and am quite pleased with the performance. I am also using an HDMI to mini-HDMI adapter with HP's HDMI-VGA adapter for display on monitors/projectors with VGA and no HDMI, and it works very well. I have been using the cheap Arkon tablet holder (while I wait for my leather portfolio made for the Transformer), and it works very well. Another benefit I have found with my current setup is that I can place the transformer next to the projector, with access to power and video hookup, and sit 10-15 feet away with my mini-bluetooth keyboard and control everything - obviates the whole issue of cord length and associated inconvenience.

The entire suite I bring with me on business travel takes 1/2 the room of my laptop, and less than 1/3 the weight. It is also much less hassle to setup, whether on a plane or in a conference room, and I appreciate the flexibility I have in choosing what options I will use. I see new or adapted Honeycomb apps every day, and have been very please overall with how well everything is functioning. The screen and system continues to be responsive, plenty of memory with no slowdown even after adding and changing dozens of apps. Still waiting for the ASUS docking port USB adapter to be released, but with a 32GB SD and WiFi, it's not a critical shortcoming.
33 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
If you're shopping for an Android-powered tablet, your search is complete. I'm not going to go into all of the features but would rather share my experience with the Asus Transformer vs. a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. I had three Galaxy Tab 10.1 devices and all of them were defective. I returned it for a refund (thank you, Amazon.com) and went with the Transformer. This is not meant to trash the Galaxy Tab 10.1... I'm simply passing along my experience with both devices and listing the reasons why I went with the TF and not the Tab. Here's why:

- The Transformer now officially supports Netflix. Streaming videos are properly formatted to the screen. While Netflix does work on the Galaxy Tab, it's not "officially" supported so movies or TV shows that are formatted for 4:3 are stretched to take up the full screen. Looking at people's squished faces for several hours during a movie can get tiring.

- The Transformer has an SD card slot, so you can easily transfer files and/or load it up with movies/music/pictures, if you wish. The Galaxy Tab does not have the capability to expand its storage. If you like to load up your tablet with movies like I do, you'll eat through 32GB in no time.

- The Transformer has Android 3.2, while the Galaxy Tab 10.1 has Android 3.1 with TouchWiz (if you elected to to install TouchWiz). Andriod 3.2 contains several bug fixes, most importantly the bug where apostrophies were being displayed as HTML code is fixed.

- The Transformer does NOT require a special driver to be recognized in Windows 7. Just plug it in, and drag/drop files. The Galaxy Tab requires a special driver download from Samsung's website. The driver used to be very difficult to find on Samsung's website but that has since been recified.

- The 32GB Transformer is significantly cheaper than the 32GB Galaxy Tab, and does the exact same thing.

So with those advantages, why would you pay more money for a Galaxy Tab? I understand not all of them are that way, and there are thousands of happy Galaxy Tab customers. My experience with it was poor, and it's too bad as the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is a sexy device and I WANTED it to work out. But I'm happy with the Transformer as it does everything the Tab does.... and the important thing is that my first Transformer worked properly out of the box, unlike my 3 Galaxy Tabs.

So what are you waiting for?! Buy one!
33 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 3, 2014
This review is for the ASUS TRANSFORMER TF101 B1 32GB 10.1 inch Tablet KITTYKISS O/S I purchased this Tablet as used from a Seller on Amazon. . I like the fact that it looks super expensive and yet at an affordable price. It is in fact, quite fast for an old Tablet. Just like my former Toshiba Thrive, it has a dual core speed, However, it seems a little faster than the Thrive. I just want to add one very important thing. Make sure whenever you purchase this Tablet, that it has and ADOBE FLASH PLAYER downloaded into the system. This one did not and I had to really go find someone to help me out. I was able to download the Flash Player through the Dolphin browser. For some people to have or not to have a Flash Player makes no difference. HOWER, be aware that some video sites will not open without the Adobe Flash Player. These are some of the sites you will not be able to enjoy without a Flash Player....C/SPAN Washington Journal, CNN VIDEOS, FOX NEWS VIDEOS, PBS VIDEOS including the NEWS HOUR Show....I am sure there might be others out there off limits without the Flash Player. However, if it does not have a Flash Player, you will still be able to watch HULU, NETFLIX, and YOUTUBE. If that is all the matters to you, than don't worry about the Flash Player. But if you want a more complete experience on the net....Yes, I think you will want the Flash Player downloaded in your Tablet. So, make sure when ordering your Tablet to know for sure that it does have the Adobe Flash Player, otherwise it can still be done like I did through the Dolphin browser, but not an easy thing to do if you like me are not a tech genius. If this Tablet came already with a Flash Player....I would have given it 5 stars....
on June 8, 2011
If I wrote a long review for this awesome tablet you would think I work for the company for sure so let me just say this:

I own an iPad, and I've had all four versions of the iPhone, so I'm an Apple fanboy, and yet, I am so glad that when I was ready to buy the new iPad2 they were out of the 16GB ones. I instead took the plunge with this Android tablet (my first ever Android device) and I am so glad I did. Is there a little bit of a learning curve? Yes. Why? For starters this is a true multitasking device. There are more hardware connectivity options - Hard Drives, USB and/or Bluetooth mouse, and so on. Heck, it has a file browser.

Bottom line - if you prefer to be spoon fed and sand boxed into a gorgeous, slick device that won't let you down and can be passed from toddler to Grandpa without a hitch get the iPad.

On the other hand - If you are looking for openness in your device and the possibilities that come with it, or are simply feeling more adventurous because you mastered the "press icon", "play", "press home button" and repeat thingy this is for you!

Update 9/14/11 (these issues fixed see update 11/7/11 below)

I have to gripe about two WIFI related issues that are still not resolved and drive me mad. No, connectivity is fine that's not the issue. One issue is that leaving WIFI on, *even* when the option to disconnect after some period is enabled, drains the battery a lot so that I often find myself grabbing the tablet a day or two later only to find it out of juice. So I must remember to always turn of WIFI when done. Really? The second is a pretty well known issue regarding corporate enterprise networks like at my work, in particular when using 802.1x EAP I cannot connect to it apparently it's something google/android broke around the 2.3 update and hasn't fixed since then get it together people!

Otherwise still 5 stars for this beauty and the 3.2 update did really smooth some things out.

Update 11/7/11

I updated to the new Android version 3.2.1 and both problems mentioned above have been resolved. I am thrilled to finally be able to log into our corporate network. And I haven't noticed the battery drain issue. Excellent!
review image
11 comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 26, 2015
This was my first tablet, purchased at the suggestion of my son, who repairs all brands of cellphones and tablets for a living. He felt that this was the best "bang for the buck" I would find; more reliable and stable than some much more expensive tablets. I purchased a "factory refurb" a month ago and was indeed very pleased with it. I attempted to purchase a second factory refurb for my wife, but two in a row, from different vendors, arrived DOA; even with a full charge, they could be started only when plugged in - the result of a bad bios update, according so some forums. In any case, even though they were "refurbed", it was obvious that nobody had tested them to see if they would actually start! The vendors were not to blame; both (including Focus) promptly sent call tags and refunded my payment in full with no questions. I finally received another ASUS Tf101 which, like the first, works perfectly.

My second unit came in the original box with all the literature, and looked like new. But the literature is perfunctory and of very little use; not a problem if you're already an Android phone user, but my wife uses an iPhone so some hand-holding was required.

An additional issue with this purchase is that Amazon's posting says, "Asus Transformer Tf101 10.1-inch Tablet (Dock Included)". There was NO dock included for most of the offers under this headline, which was easy to deduce by reading the product information. But Amazon should make sure their posting headline matches the product!