Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 12,838 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 13,601 reviews
on October 15, 2014
I was a huge Transformers fan when I was a kid, the cartoon was def appointment television on Sunday mornings and when the movies were made I was pretty stoked. The first one was a classic and probably the best of the series with all the characters that you remembered with some new ones tossed in. The second one in my opinion was a bust, the fallen character was a joke and when Optimus Prime died it did not mean much because you knew in 45 minutes he would be resurrected. The 3rd movie I could not get into it was just trying to out do the first 2 and by then it was too much too soon and I bailed before the ending.

Now we have the latest incarnation with the debut of the dynabots (if you watched the cartoons you did not even need to ask who they were) and instead of Shia Labeouf we get Marky Mark Wahlburg and a new cast of humans. The first hour was excellent, just a whole new spin on things. A bounty hunter autobot who is into killing the other autobots, Kelsey Grammer as a ruthless goverment agent who has plans of his own and a new decepticon with a voice and motives similar to one of my faves Megatron! New autobots join along to help Optimus save the earth and Mark from the bad guys but the problem is this movie goes along too damn long ! it is 2 hours and 45 minutes of the same thing over and over. A whole hour went by without much of anything new and by the time you got to the end you knew a few things....

Mark is a refreshing change from Shia

There is def a sequel coming from this movie

and Megatron is reborn.

If your a fan watch it. If your on the fence skip it and if your bored after the first 45 minutes skip ahead to 2:20 minutes to see the cool conclusion.
on March 19, 2017
Not as sprawling as the first three films. T4 focuses more on a handful of characters and it works very well. All the people and robots are likeable, even the villians.
on July 15, 2016
a fun sock em and rock em movie sprinkled with humor. I found myself looking at this one with a technical eye trying to see where the filmakers would have post added this that and the other and marveling at how well the actors dealt with non existent enemy during the filming.
on September 25, 2015
This is actually a pretty decent Transformers movie compared to the rest of Michael's Bay series. Way better than Transformers #3 for sure. The new human actors faces make a difference and allow to watch it as a stand along movie, not a continuation of Shia LaBeouf's adventures. But it is still a sequel. I don't know what about all these negative reviews in the press (I read the reviews first) but I enjoyed the movie and watched it several times with kids. Our family is huge on SciFi and so I am an expert ) Visual effects are quite impressive even considering we watched it on regular screen, not 3D. So solid 5 stars in my rating. Good movie.
on October 7, 2014
Driven by curiosity regarding the dismal critic reviews, I decided to give this a watch. I have only seen the first Transformers movie and didn't care much for it other than the showdown at the end. This being a reboot, I will review it on it's own merits.

Pros-
The CGI is amazing.
The Transformers are well-done in animation and voice.
Lockdown's ship was surprisingly atmospheric.
Great fight/action sequences.
DINOBOTS!

Cons-
Subpar performances from most of the human cast.
Weak narrative.
Flagrant abuse of slo-mo.
It's lllloooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.
Rather profane for a movie geared toward families, especially Hound.
Dinobots were under-utilized.
Most insane amount of advertising I've seen in a movie, including, but certainly not limited to Victoria's Secret, Bud Light, Red Bull, Armani, Gucci, various automobile manufacturers, protein powder, coconut water, and numerous Chinese products.

Overall, an okay movie. If you just want fantastic CGI and action, this will satisfy. It you're looking for meaningful human relationships, dynamic characters, or intense interpersonal interactions, this is not for you. I've certainly seen worse movies (anything by Uwe Boll). There are certainly better. A solid way to kill a few hours. Little more, little less.
on December 15, 2015
I wish someone edited this movie down to and hour and a half before I watched it. It's 2 and a half hours long with 20 minutes devoted to each plot point. In the beginning, it takes 40 minutes to get interesting. Most of the human interaction and exposition was pretty grueling to watch. But then it beats you over the head with the same plot point making even the action scenes full of action drawn out too long and boring. A lot of it is too confusing or in slow motion. At some points you're not sure which bots are bad and which ones are good. They all look similar.

There is a lot of cliche' banter and typical character plots that don't help the story, but I hope that the future Transformers will focus more on the Transformers and not the humans on Earth. What drives them, their lives on their other world, and why any of them have honor at all. The actors were excellent, however, there is no distinct hero or villain that I had one defining moment or quote, that makes them memorable... except for maybe Optimus Prime, who says the same things over and over.

The last 30 minutes was excellent.

This movie wins points in the action department when it doesn't go on for too long and the action is tied into a plot device like getting the seed or protecting it.
on April 14, 2017
The only reason I'm giving this a 3 star instead of a 5 star is that my DVD case was broken into several pieces. The disks are fine (not scratched) so I didn't return the item.
on February 7, 2016
Generally enjoyable for what it is; not a "great movie", but entertaining for a couple of hours. Fairly remarkable how much computer graphics / special effects can be thrown into a movie these days. I've seen the first Transformers movie a couple of times, but never saw #2 or #3 -- this one, Age of Extinction, is the 4th in the series. Having missed those two, it took me a bit to get the context, with the head of the CIA being evil and ruthless, and a capitalist egomaniac being in league with him until he realizes just how evil the CIA has become. Still not 100% clear about the "creators" and their motivation -- seems that not everything back at home for Optimus and his friends is all positive. I guess we'll learn more in the planned next installment in 2017.

I'll watch something like this instead of sitcom episodes on TV, or instead of NCIS or Castle reruns. Happy to see it on Amazon Prime, because it's part of the package. But I would feel a bit dopey if I had spent the money needed to see this in a movie theater. If I have time to kill in front of the TV, this is worth it...once. But that's about as far as I'd go in recommending it.
on November 19, 2014
First I'll say I'm a huge fan of the first three Transformer movies and rate those 5 out of 5. I found the human element tied in perfectly to a story that is based on living machines, there was a perfect blend of action with drama story line, and I "bonded" with all characters whether they are human or machine. Over time I can still go back and watch them with enjoyment. When I saw the first trailer for AoE I couldn't wait. Like many other reviewers though I was sadly disappointed and even found myself fast forwarding through most of the last half of the movie. Not a good sign. I feel like AoE is what you get when you remove the human element (aka Sam Witwicky) that so many fans complained about in the first three movies. Although there were new human elements they just never connected with me. Characters like Shane robbed the film of this connection with his disrespectful attitude towards the father (Cade) that ultimately just got on my nerves as well as the daughter. The villains were played well and the special effects where awesome but nothing connected me to this movie at all. Even Optimus was an empty shell. There was so much potential for this new series but it just fell flat.
on July 16, 2017
Best thing about this movie is that it gives voice actors such as Peter Cullen a job. I'd give credit to some of the amazing special effects work micheal bay and his crew does, but with shaky cameras and odd angles, you never really see the immense amount of work put into it. Story is the last thing I want to try and go over and I feel the production/writing team felt the same way. I want to love this movie, but the lack of care put into the overall package was enough to make me want my 3 hours back. (And yes, this movie is 3 hours long....)