Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Month Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by morrisey PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Transformers Animated: The Complete Series
Format: DVD|Change

on June 15, 2015
So originally I didn't think I was going to like Animated. It's style was too kiddish, and the first episode was too ridiculous for me to think I'd get into it. It was made for tv, and I knew that it would affect the quality. After all there's not much you can do in the 21 minutes or so they were given for each episode.

Boy I was wrong. I started liking it immediately despite it's cotton candy nature. If you're thinking it'll be like Transformers Prime then forget it. It's catered to children, that's for sure, but an adult like me can enjoy some of the darker elements of the show. The characters aren't what you're used to if you're a fan, but they're lovable all the same.

As I said, the episodes are short. Unfortunately they copy the first Transformers cartoon and make single episodes contain an entire story plot. While there is nothing wrong with this, it makes it seem very quick and any actual story is lost among piles of fillers. Unlike Prime which has a cohesive plot, Animated has more of a set destination, but no obvious way of getting there. Basic plot: keep the Decepticon's from destroying the world. That's it really. Everything else is free game, and unfortunately the show focus's on Teen-Titan like cartoon super villains more ss than the actually Decepticon villains.

The ending is not as expected. I will keep the details to myself, but prepare to be disappointed. It should have lasted alot longer than it did, and the quick prepared for tv episodes leave you wanting more. While it was a good ending, it's still an abrupt train wreck and a halt that make you wonder if you've missed a few chapters. For those wanting a little more, there is a comic that goes along with the cartoon. It can clear up some of the ending and tie up a few loose ends.

All in all this was a surprisingly enjoyable cartoon. An adult can find themselves liking it as long as you're okay with cartoon super villains and cheesy one-liners. It can be fun as long as you let it, and while I don't associate this show with more serious ones like Prime or the IDW comics, it is still fun for any Transformer fan.
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on March 2, 2016
In a close future, a team of five Autobots crash in the city of Detroit. They were lucky (or unlucky enough) to have found the AllSpark and must now defend it against the Evil Decepticons!

More seriously, Animated got me into Transformers. It's a fun, well paced, well animated show that manages to become more and more intriguing as seasons pass. It's why, at the time the show stopped, I was so heartbroken to hear that season 3 never had been released in DVD. And why I couldn't be happier to own this now.
Always a pleasure to run one of the discs and listen to David Kaye (long time actor for Transformers with his performance as Megatron back in Beast Wars, yesssss!), Corey Burton (even longer time actor for Transformers as he is the original Shockwave back in G1!!) and newcomers to the franchise such as Bumper Robinson, Cree Summer and Phil LaMarr!
on September 2, 2014
First, to clarify for those who aren’t aware of what this product is, this is the animated series that was released ---, not the 1984 cartoon.
But what you get here is a six (6) disk DVD set with all three complete seasons of this fantastic show.
The show I think, is a lot of fun. It is a very kid friendly show that at the same time doesn’t insult the intelligence of adult fans.
Admittedly (especially for a longtime transformer fan like myself), some aspects are difficult to get used to, most notably the cartoonish look of the show. Other aspects, like the human protagonist (a young girl named Sari), and the fact that the Autobot characters often have to deal with human villians can also get annoying.
But, if you can get over these things, this actually is a very solid transformer series.
It focuses on 5 Autobot characters, who really are just down on their luck, but throughout the series you see them struggle, grow as characters and teammates, and ultimately change the outcome of the Autobot/Decepticon conflict.
There’s a lot of depth put into this show, and a lot of heart. Even though the creators of this show choose to rewrite things, it’s quite clear they did their homework on what’s come before, since they make nods to just about every other transformer incarnation.
Another oddity is that Optimus Prime isn’t the great hero we all are used to, he’s more like a starship captain in charge of a ragtag band of misfits who aren’t really warriors. However, the Decepticon characters are super powerful villains that often need to be outsmarted as opposed to overpowered. This show also brings us one of the best Megatrons’ in cartoon history.
From my understanding, the series was slated for a 4 year run, but was cut short at the end of season 3. However, the finale of season 3 at least has tied up all the major story plot lines, and for the most part gives us a satisfying conclusion.
As for this set, you get all 42 episodes of the series (including the previously unreleased 13 episodes that make up season 3).
The packaging states there are audio commentaries, but I have yet to find any (maybe I missed them).
Sadly, there is no closed captioning option. This set really seems to be a bare basic set.
Closing thoughts:
I think this really is a great set. If you’re looking for a transformers series for kids, I think this one is a winner. If you’re a fan of Transformers or cartoons in general, this might be great if you can get past the aforementioned art style and general kiddyness of this show.
And for already existing fans of this show, this is the series, nothing more, nothing less. But at least you can pick up the show in it’s entirety in one fell swoop (like I did). The price also is decent, although I lucked out and got it on sale here at Amazon for 21.99. The only reasons this set doesn’t get 5 stars is a lack of closed captioning, and there not being much in the way of bonus content.
on July 21, 2014
Transformers Animated has long been my favorite Transformers series, so when I found out that Shout Factory was releasing all three seasons on DVD I was stoked! They lived up to their usual high quality standards with this set (all play that actually plays all the episodes for the win!) but still kept the consumer cost super reasonable.

I wish for a better scene skip option when I've had to stop the disc in the middle of my binge, but that isn't enough of a problem for me to lower my rating. Your milage may vary on this point.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on November 15, 2014
I was a bit surprised by Transformers Animated. Transformers lovers need to understand that it's aimed at a younger audience than the original show, however that shouldn't stop you from seeing it. I was initially unimpressed, particularly with the first series, because it really upset my balance of what I thought Transformers should be. However, the characterisation is strong, there are new takes on old characters that are progressive and fresh rather than disappointing.
What I loved about it was the way it incorporated a lot of G1 lore but with a modern take. What I didn't perhaps love too much was the Sari character, who I did find to be a bit annoying. However at least she too changes as the show goes on. Lastly, I would say the animation and art style itself takes some getting used to. The cartoony, offset and strange shapes lack the industrial and mechanised feel of G1 that we all know and love. However the colours and so on are bright and vibrant.
Overall, an excellent show to introduce kids to Transformers with. And for adults - it's definitely NOT as good as the Prime series, but better than having no Transformers series to watch at all! Get it.
on December 23, 2014
I have three boys ages 1, 3, and 5. They ALL love Transformers Animated.
We missed out on this show when it was on TV because we cut the cord. Had we had TV this would have been a show we would have watched every time it came on!

Having seen the original G1, and other series I have to say this has become one of my favorite series to date.
The characters are funny, and the story line is easy to follow. Each of them even shows great development of character.

If you haven't seen this series yet this is truly not one to pass up! Even if you are not a Transformer fan but love Cartoons, this is a great show.

This series probably took us about a month to blast through!
on October 6, 2014
This is by far one of the best Transformers series ever! With great voice actors like David Kaye, Bumper Robinson (who also voices Rook and some of Ben's aliens in the Ben 10 Omniverse), and Jeff Bennett (who also does the voice of Azmuth in Ben 10 Alien Force, Brooklyn in the television series Gargoyles, and Huxley Prescott and the Mayor of Griffin Rock in Transformers Rescue Bots), this series is a must have for a Transformers fan. Watch as the Autobots try to keep the AllSpark safe, battle notorious villians, and save Cybertron from falling into the Decepticon Leader Megatron's grasp in a thrilling final battle. Check it out!
on November 3, 2017
Birthday gift for a 5 yr.old oh. Big fan. Loves the Transformers.
on June 13, 2017
My son loved this series! Complete set.
on April 27, 2017