Transformers: Season 1 (Collector's Edition)
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
I forgot how good this show really was. It was incredibly loyal to the each of the characters and everything at this point. The voice actors are an all star cast as well.
The remastering job was very good when you consider what they had to work with to start. They cleaned up a lot of noise and dirt off of the film and made the colors a lot more vivid and clear. There are some occasional sound effects added, but they are not intrustive and not that frequent, really. A couple of scenes in "Heavy Metal War", the last episode on the disc, turned out pretty poor, but otherwise they did an awesome job restoring this first season run, even including the original opening of the show and the commercial bumpers.
I am still annoyed by the constant coloring mistakes made by the original animators of the show. I guess it's part of the charm, and it's probably best that Rhino left them like they were. I remember these coloring mistakes in the original series just as well, and it even bothered me back then in 1984-85 that Sunbow couldn't seem to tell the difference between Starscream, Thundercracker, and Skywarp most of the time (though as the series goes on past the first 5 or 6, they DO get better about it...save for the part in Heavy Metal War where there are two Starscreams side by side, one of which was supposed to be Skywarp).
I wish Rhino would take out the stupid cartoon openings on their videos and DVDs, though. While I know they are mostly a children's video company, with things like Transformers and GI Joe, they are mostly catering to adults...Read more ›
1. When you claim to have remastered a film or TV show, please actually do it the whole way. I cannot stress this enough. For all the hullabaloo they went through to show the changes (see disc 4), I have to wonder why, in particular, they only fixed that space bridge scene (with the beams showing through) in only some of the episodes, especially as it was STOCK FOOTAGE. Even the mylar cuts they said were present in the broadcasts and claimed to have edited were inconsequential at best, and not even in the VHS releases at worst. Overall I did like the slightly less faded look they gave the series, but that was more than expected given the format used (DVD).
2. Never ever make the final product worse than the source material. I canot stress this enough either. There are plenty of backwards transformations, "sliding" scenes that didn't "slide" before. In particular the construction of the 2 new Dinobots, there are 2 scenes that just aren't right. I think I even saw colors that were colored right change to the wrong color in this version. That seems to throw out the theory that was working against my arguement of "why weren't any color errors fixed?" which is a shame.
3. Changed sounds really get on my nerves.Read more ›
I gave it two stars because they only did two things right. One was the packaging, which they smartly decided not to do artwork for the covers and went with the plain brushed metal look. They must have learned something from the horrible packaging from the previous DVDs and videos they produced. Second they retained the original commercial bumpers.
My main problems with the DVDs is their supposed remastering. The sound effects they added are distracting, sometimes drowning out what characters are saying. Plus, anyone who knows the cartoons knows that those sound effects aren't authentically original. They don't add anything to the presentation and only give Rhino a blurb to put on the packaging.
The biggest mistake Rhino made with this set is the recoloring.
Everyone knows that the first season was already riddled with animation, voice, and color errors, but did Rhino fix any of these things? No, they added to them! In one shot they color Trailbreaker (a black pickup) completely red. In another scene Skyfire(a white jet) is colored with Skywarp's color scheme(a black and purple jet).
It's funny cause in the side by side comparison extra you can see that colors and effects were correct in the original. Rhino shows that they can change the colors at will, but neglected to fix any of the original errors, i.e. Optimus Prime being blue in a scene from S.O.S. Dinobots.
There are too many mistakes Rhino has engraved into the Transformers video library to name here. I just emplore Rhino to not take this valuable license for granted and be a little careful and mindful of the material and fans when releasing future seasons.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great collection, great quality package, full of features, great for collectors.Published 19 months ago by Glen Fernandez
I have always loved transformers and when I saw it, I had to get it. Disks work great and surpassed my expectations for picture quality.Published on June 14, 2014 by Zarah
I saw this show for the first time in 86. Im thinking 'how cool is that?' Seeing cars and planes turn into robots. Even a robot turns into a gun. Honestly that is amazing. Read morePublished on April 29, 2014 by Dominic
I honestly don't know much about Transformers, but my husband is a fanatic. He was really happy when I gave this to him so I think I did good.Published on March 3, 2014 by Rider4Z
this brings back childhood memories really loved it as a kid and enjoyed a great bunch now as a grown upPublished on June 22, 2013 by Heltaskelta
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > 10-12 Years
- Movies & TV > 7-9 Years
- Movies & TV > Animation
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Anime
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Anime & Manga
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Animation
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Sci-Fi Action
- Movies & TV > TV