Truck Season Automotive Beauty Magazine Deals Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now TG18PP_gno

on April 21, 2013
I'm a skeptic when it comes to peace. History suggests that we're a waring species. But I was attracted to this small book by the fact that its author worked in the war business. I also tend to admire the thinking skills of engineers. So I gave the book a chance, and I was impressed by its scope and originality and common sense. For anyone who wonders if there is another way to live--if we can have a solid economy without war--this may be the best resource guide. It is short, almost like a manifesto. But it isn't just opinion. The author offers plenty of facts, and he presents them in a calm, logical manner. This is not a pie-in-the-sky volume.

Do I believe that we can create an alternative to war? After reading Faure-Brac's thoughtful book, I think it is possible, and that--at the very least--we should seriously consider this quest just as we did the moon mission.
on November 12, 2013
This short and lucid book packs in a wealth of information, starting with the eye-popping size and cost of the US military, but then turning quickly to the hope offered by the vast number of initiatives worldwide that are working to resolve international conflict in other ways that focus instead on building understanding and relationships. Drawing on work from eminent authorities in a wide array of disciplines including history, psychology, agriculture, economics, and martial arts, Faure-Brac thoughtfully and convincingly makes the compelling points that: 1) the present level of consumption of the world's limited resources by militarily driven US foreign policy is unsustainable; 2) humans can change their behavior rapidly and profoundly when pressed sufficiently by circumstances; and 3) there are many examples out there of successful conflict resolution by nonviolent means.
Although I was deeply skeptical of the possibility for significant change as I began the book, I was won over by its objective, realistic look at the world's situation and by the fundamental common sense of the positive ideas it carefully lays out. You'd never know it from TV news, but I learned here that attitudes are already shifting towards peaceful problem-solving. This is happening in many small ways all over the globe, and almost always from grass-roots efforts by young people. I was left feeling much more hopeful about the future my grandkids might see and about the power of countless tiny individual contributions combining to change a culture, such work meanwhile making all those individual lives more fulfilling. It's a quick read whose message will keep coming back to you long after you finish it - and just might transform your life.
on October 29, 2012
In a time when hope for the nation and the world is at a low ebb, Russ Faure-Brac ignites a depth charge in our thinking! Even born optimists (like myself) sometimes waiver in our belief that Peace is Possible. But peace isn't an all or nothing proposition! Russ lays out specific incremental steps that bring us closer to the goal and weave us together in a truly safer world. He begins with a reality check: U.S. defense expenditures are equal to the military spending of all the other countries of the world combined, friend and foe. He then lays out programs and policies such as a cabinet-level Department of Peace and a Global Marshall Plan--spending a portion of our military budget in terrorist-prone countries on clean water systems, schools, hospitals, and solar ovens. We would then be their best friends and terrorists would have no recruits! Russ lays out the road to peace in 101 concise pages--once you read this book, you'll buy copies for everyone you know!
One person found this helpful
on February 6, 2013
As someone with a background similar to Russ, I find his thoughts to be probing and provocative. He lays out a well-researched approach providing both the background and support for a non-violence approach. His challenge to all of us is to stretch beyond our own biases and reach for the ideal - a path to peace. He eloquently addresses the complex factors pressing upon Americans today from all political persuasions and calls us to community and a return to founding principles. While some would ignore the book based on its title, those on both the left and right of the spectrum would be well-served by carefully reflecting on his thoughts.
on July 23, 2012
Transition to Peace tells us how to establish a peaceful world. We hear from a defense industry expert that war does not work. This short volume outlines an alternative to war and warns that continued escalation of violence will lead to a world that is out of control. Every political scientist, every government legislator, every student of history should read this book.
on September 24, 2012
Transition to Peace is a book that challenges basic assumptions about our society's options. The author takes us on an expansive journey of exploration and imagination, from a world that so often extinguishes life to a possible world that concentrates on protecting and nurturing life. The transition is difficult to imagine and far more difficult to implement -- and it's essential!
on June 20, 2012
What an amazing and inspiring story to read. What you discover about the military budget will blow your mind. Russ takes you on a journey through his career as a defense engineer to his advocacy for world peace. This is a must read for anyone that dreams about living in a world free of war.