Hill Climb Racing 2 Vehicles Review Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

on December 13, 2014
These come in an envelope, and are flat. When you look at the package, (envelope) you can't imagine what it could be, and then you open it. You think, "wow this is really chintzy and cheap", and then you put it together (in 10 seconds) and think, "its not bad". Then you use it and you are hooked. Once you try one of these, you wont be without. For a few $ these solve every flash problem---harsh lighting, harsh shadows, red eye, small flash coverage, and many more. Its so ingenious and the fact that it folds flat is an even bigger benefit for storing and carrying in a bag/backpack/etc.

The TRICK to get the most benefit from these is you MUST leave as much space between the flash (lens) and the front of this thing. The idea being to allow the light to fill the space between (flash/front) and then it "spills" out. If you put the front of this flush against the front of the flash, you will not get any benefit or will get limited benefit.
11 comment| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This absolutely will not fall off your flash, if mounted correctly. See pictures to explain how to mount. The velcro strap that mounts to your camera uses no adhesive, but has very strong "sticky" friction surface on one side -- so it won't goo up your flash, can be removed when you want to, but will not fall off on it's own. Even pulling on it, is very difficult to get off.

This softbox is just the right size so that once folded, it can fit in a small camera bag. Also has windows on top and bottom of softbox that you can secure open or closed with velcro attachments. Those might be useful to throw some flash up and back for bounce effect. Its construction is excellent - should be quite durable, not just a cheap plastic item. It will fit any flashgun with reasonably standard dimensions - see photos.

So I give 5 stars because of it's construction and secure mounting. But take a star away because I'm really not convinced that it softens any shadows in the test photos I've taken so far -- I cannot see a difference with the device on or off. I'll give it some more tries, but I'm thinking this is just too small to adequately diffuse light - it cannot replace a shoot-through umbrella for sure.

But for the price - I'd little reason not to try it for yourself.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
1212 comments| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
 NOTE: I am no professional and this is just my opinion of the product. I purchased this 6x8 softbox last year for my canon flash it has done its job for a cheap softbox. For a few bucks you would be surprised at much it changes your photos. Its held up nicely with a bit of abuse cramming it in my bag and tossing it about. I have provided a video review and I encourage you to watch it to see a better in depth review. It has a velcro ring that attaches to your light then you add the softbox to it. It also has 2 openings in the back to allow less light through which is nice. It gives you some options to play with. The biggest thing for me as a hobbyist photographer was learning lighting and the various techniques and this has really helped me. The only thing I am knocking one star for is the fact that it needs a bit more room between the flash and the front of the box to allow it to fill better and spill the light. The way its designed its kinda tricky to get that distance. The picture you see on here shows a perfect softbox with decent distance. With mine its not quite like that..its a bit more smashed, so to speak. All in all I like the product and I am giving it 4 stars for its ease of use and durability. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. If you found my review helpful, let me know. Lets keep making better buying decisions together. Thank you for reading and as always Be Safe & Happy Shopping!!
on June 14, 2015
Works well for up-close shots on or off-camera, however the soft light is still somewhat tight due to the size. That said, I've still managed to capture some decent portraits mounting this to my SB-700 flash off-camera when augmenting this with a reflector 90°, with the fash turned slightly offset from my subject toward said opposing reflector. See attached portrait of my daughter (flash with the NEEWER 6x8" Softbox 45° to the right, and silver reflector 45° to the left).
review image
22 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 22, 2016
Outstanding tool to prevent hot spots that are formed by the regular flash configuration! I highly recommend the softbox to any photographer. Check out the attached photo for an example of what a photo I shot looks like. The flash is aimed directly at the model from close range without creating any blown out areas.
review image
on January 26, 2018
When I first received it, I wasn't overly pleased. They sit in their travel cases folded up in a way that means when you unfold it, the edges are crumpled in and it looks like the light from the flash won't actually reach the whole white area. However, with a little careful stretching and unfolding you can get the edges pretty straight, and when I took a photo of the flash going off behind this diffuser, it did indeed fill the whole white area with light as it's supposed to. The velcro strap also didn't feel tight enough, I was worried they would fall off. But after a number of uses in the field it actually has worked just fine and I'm very pleased. I'm sure there are higher quality products out there but this works great for me and for the price I think it deserves 5 stars. It makes macro shots way better! I would say get as big of one as you can. If you need diffused light then the bigger the better. I'm using 2 on a pair of off-camera flashes for a macro setup I have, and I bought the middle size (6x5 inches), and it's either just right or a little too small. If I only had one flash I'd definitely want the bigger one.
on December 30, 2016
As an hobbyist who from time to time get asked to take photos in weddings, anniversaries and other kind of parties.
This diffuser works really well, both indoors and outdoors.
My only caveat is the weird mechanism to make the product fit and hold on to the flash head. Its still a bit loose and wobbles.
And that it adds a bit of weight "forward" the camera. So prepare to counter this weight. (be particularly careful when using tripods)

Note that the installation of this product is not in the way logic would dictate. you need to "set" the band with Velcro on the head first.. then attach the softbox AROUND it.
If you do it in the opposite way ( softbox first, then Velcro band around it) the products will slide and fall easily.

This thing is pretty portable too. You just squeze it and fits in an envelope (it flattens itself) and you can keep it easily in any bag. Not stealing any space in your camera bag.
on November 4, 2016
It's a nice add on and has the added benefit of being a puzzle. If you like to figure stuff out on your own with no assistance of any kind you have to try this product. You will happily move the softbox this way and that, tugging on all the neat velcro straps, until you feel the satisfaction from all the problem solving involved with getting it attached to your speedlight.

If you hate reading the directions then you're in luck! This unit has no directions of any kind so you'll have many a happy hour of head scratching. It's like happy puzzle time with a functional softbox included.
on April 21, 2017
I use this with a Lume Cube. It isn't a perfect fit, (obviously it is made to go on a rectangular flash) but it does work to soften the otherwise very hard light from the Lume Cube.
There is an extra layer of diffusion in the center that helps to cut down on the "hot spot" in the center. There are to pannels that open up to allow light to spill out the top and or bottom of the softbox. That light can be bounced off of a wall or ceiling for extra fill light.
This combination is the most compact, portable video/photo light that I have.
To install:
1) wrap the velcro strap around the light rubbery side in
2) attach the softbox to the velcro strap. friction is what holds it in place
review imagereview image
on January 19, 2016
I love that this is lightweight and folds up -- I don't carry a large camera bag so I didn't want a lot of extra equipment that would necessitate me getting a larger bag or carrying a second one. I have a Canon 70D and this works great with my external flash when I want a softer effect. Such a simple device -- you don't need to get anything more expensive. This was recommended to me my a professional photographer and I'm so glad that I got one. It's especially nice when doing portraits because it softens the effects of the flash. Because it has velcro, it's adjustable will attach to many different flashes. It didn't loosen or fall off while I was using it, and I was using my camera freehand do I was moving around quite a bit.

For the size and price, you really can't go wrong.