Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 119 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 131 reviews
on June 13, 2014
We ordered 2 sets of these universal adapters a few months prior to our trip to Ireland. As we live in the US there was no way to test the units before we left. When we arrived we immediately went to our B&B and unpacked. The next morning while trying to use an appliance we found that one of the units worked and the other did not. As soon as we arrived home I wrote the company explaining all of this; not asking for a refund just wanting to know how we could get the one unit repaired. This is the response I got from these folks:
Unfortunately, we cannot. This order is way past it's 30 day period. Had you even
emailed us within the 30 day period in regards to the product not functioning, we
would have taken it back. It is too late now.
Beware of this company as they don't stand behind their product...
on July 31, 2016
I bought 2 of these for me and a friend who visited Germany last week. I am an Electrical Engineer and I took a voltmeter with me. I had 246 volts at the motel wall outlet. This device put out 84 volts on the 50 watt setting and 156 volts on the 1600 watt setting neither of which is good for US electronics and appliances. I only used it to charge laptop and phone and did not risk burning up my desk fan I brought. I only used the 50 watt setting. The first day it got very hot and the second day it threw sparks and kicked the breaker for my room. My friends unit kicked the breaker for his room. I threw it away.
on June 21, 2012
The unit was so heavy that it just kept falling right out of the wall socket. Also, unless you have really old-school electronics or electrical appliances made for a different country, you will be fine with just an adapter. There is no need for a power transformer anymore, so I learned. This is especially the case with laptop power supplies. E.g. the MacBook Pro 17" power supply takes 100-240V as input. So, using with a simple socket adapter in Spain worked perfectly fine. Same with the iPhone charging cable. In the end, I threw away this piece of junk so I wouldn't have the extra weight in my baggage coming back home.
on September 17, 2010
I thought I was doing myself a favor by saving money and buying a cheap converter, but I was severely mistaken! First of all, the converter itself does not plug in securely to the adapter. Secondly, whatever you plug into the converter does not plug in securely and hangs halfway out! Thirdly, after having the thing for three weeks, it exploded and died. DO NOT BUY. Go somewhere and spend the $20 or $30, so you can return it if you need to!
on November 27, 2012
I purchased this product for use on a 40 day trip to Argentina, specifically to charge iphone, and of course used my GF's favorite hair dryer... Anyway after reading the details on this product I was confident that this was the converter that would work for me.
The first thing is that its fairly heavy, I planned to live out of my frame pack the entire trip. When we used the converter it would get very hot to the touch after a short time use (an hour) and the one time my GF tried to use her blow dryer it totally fried the converter and I ended up throwing it out; and also the adapter plugs were not very good at staying firmly plugged into electrical outlets which may not neccesarily be the manufacturers fault, but add the weight of the converter to an already loose plug in connection and it became a little bit of a balancing act to keep it safely plugged in.

On the plus side the converter still managed to serve its purpose on the whole trip, after discarding the converter,after only 4 days of use, I kept the adapter plugs and used the necessary adapter plug on my Iphone anyway, as I discovered that the Iphone plug in white "cube" cord adapter was rated for 110 or 220 volts at 50 or 60 HZ so I was able to "MacGuyver" it into service for the duration.

Since most of the civilized world uses 220 Volts AC at 50 Hz I will keep the plug in adapters as they are small and light weight (without the converter) and they are very easily packed for the next trip.
on September 5, 2013
I bought this item because it claimed you could use it for curling irons/high heat devices. When I got to England, I plugged it in at the hotel and tried to use it with my hair straightner on the 1600 watt setting. It did not even come on. I borrowed one from the hotel clerk which worked perfectly in the same outlet. At another hotel I tried it again. It turned on when I switched it to the lower 50 watt setting, but again not on the 1600. After about 10 minutes, I heard a loud pop and a bad smell. After that, it wouldn't come on at all. When I got back to the US, my straightner still worked, thank goodness. And of course the return window expired while I was gone on my trip! I'm not sure if I was sent a deffective Converter or if it just isn't the right kind of converter for my straightner. Because you can't try this kind of thing until you are on your trip, I would suggest buying this kind of thing in the location you are staying. That way, you could talk to someone and return it there if it doesn't work.
on April 1, 2016
I'd love to tell you how it worked but it was packed so tightly in the gray case that I was never able to get the min piece out of the box (this included trying to break the box, dropping it a marble floor, prying, shaking.....nothing). I left it in the trash in China. Thank god I had a bestek as my backup. Worked fabulously. This is just a nice door stop.
on September 3, 2014
I purchased this converter adapter kit for my daughter to use while studying in London. She has been there less than a week and it does not work. It is the first time its been used!! I contacted the customer support explaining the problem and they immediately responded with a short message saying "we cannot take it back." I had asked for a refund since we now have to purchase another one over in London or here in the states and ship it. Because it is not within the time frame of Great Effects return policy, they will do nothing about it. I would NEVER purchase from nor recommend this company to anyone. We will be traveling overseas soon and know many others who will be. I will make certain that they purchase nothing from Great Effects!!
on January 25, 2013
Almost caused a fire! plastic started to melt. Not a good product beware! Past return date but will not use it again. Was using on low wattage conversion, after only 10 minutes the plastic started to melt. This is Not a quality product.
on June 12, 2014
I purchased what I thought was a straightforward current converter for Germany. I got something that I didn't bargain for--all sorts of converters for all sorts of continents. The one for Europe looked like nothing I ever saw before, and while there was a guide, it was rather laconic. I could have used a little more information. Worst of all, we did put one of the converters to use, and while it did actually work, it was so flimsy in the socket that I actually had to hold it there to get a charge. Fortunately we went to a discount department store and picked up a couple of more solid ones which got us through our trip.