Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 277 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 618 reviews
on November 25, 2016
I borrowed this book at my local library and, after reading it, ordered a copy for my daughter. Traveling Mercies is an honest account of Lamott's life (warts and struggles) and her faith in God. I, too, have faith, but find I'm often stereotyped as to my political beliefs and my mind set (narrow mindedness by default apparently) simply because I believe in God. This stereotyping gets so very old!!!! Lamott's perspective on God is genuine and refreshing. One of my daughters currently struggles with three of the same issues Ms. Lamott fought. My hope is my daughter will see herself in this book and realize God loves her even if she isn't perfect and, on the flip-side, she doesn't have to be perfect to have a relationship with God.
on August 2, 2014
My favorite book of all time. This book is life giving and life altering. I bought it for all of my high school and college friends who have in turn, passed it along to their friends and family and so on and so forth. Anne Lamott is compelling and authentic as she takes us along on her life journey of discovering herself on her spiritual path.

Anne uses humor in expressing her most vulnerable moments...in her life experience. I found it refreshing that I too, could give myself forgiveness and grace through her example. That the choice of living in shame was not one. She allows us to relax into accepting ourselves through the life lessons we are taught. However painful, she remains hopeful...but most of all faithful. Her work is a ministry to me of sorts.

There are only three books on my end table that are my go to's. This is one of them.

I hope it touches your heart and life the way it did mine.
on January 25, 2015
As someone in a spiritual quandary right now, I often found myself scouring the bookshelves for authors about faith. I was not looking for the Lee Strobel or the Max Lucado - I needed to read about people experiencing life and what it meant for their faith. My roommate insisted that Anne Lamott was the way to go. I didn't really know what to expect going into the book. I'm fairly critical about faith-related books and I wasn't interested in any "fluff"-filled that boosts our Christian ego.

Well, my prayers were answered and "fluff"-filled is the last adjective I would use to describe this book. In the first section of the book, I was glued to the struggles, the ambitions, and the experiences of Anne Lamott's personal life. The only way I can describe this book is "raw" - nothing is held back from the reader. Lamar is completely honest and very real with her audience. You could tell that she wasn't trying to be dramatic - she wasn't trying to get your pity, your sympathy, your trust, your distain. She speaks very honestly about who she is and opens herself up to her audience. She has tried to do the right thing when at times knowing what the right thing is is difficult, but she also has made mistakes. But we don't judge her for that - she admits when she does wrong and explains why she tried justifying her mistakes in the past. She is an author that feels very human.

At the end of the book, I found that I had more answers and more questions from this book. But I also felt that I had experienced something very genuine and authentic. I had not only learned more about Lamott, but I also learned a lot about faith from just the daily happenings in her life. To me, that's more inspirational than any Nicholas Spark novel. If you are looking for a book on faith that doesn't have all the answers, you won't be disappointed.
on March 20, 2017
Though this book has rave reviews and I'm an avid reader, I must admit I've started this 3 separate times and I just can't get engaged. I find it laborious reading and really dry. I'm sure many will disagree and that's okay. It's just not to my personal liking.
on December 14, 2014
I'm a crappy reader (or, to be more accurate I suppose, I have a non-specific reading disorder.)
This is one of the few books (on Kindle, because it helps to make words big and columns narrow) - that is worth the effort that it takes me to complete a book. Ms. Lamott knows how to put words together like nobody else I've ever read. They're like butter, or cake or something. I want to eat them or savor them or in some other way not let them go. Even if you don't like her stories, or don't agree with her theology - or any theology at all - read it. Just do it. You may tire of mentions of her hair - but all of the other stories will make up for it.
on April 10, 2016
I knew Ms. Lamott from "Bird by Bird," so when I saw this book lying on a table at my daughter and son-in-law's home, I decided to download it and read 95% of the biographical extended sketch while flying from DC to Colorado. It's a touching, cunningly written, occasionally laugh-out-loud glimpse into her spiritual journey and her personal life. Well done, Anne; once again you've taught me how a writer at the top of her game can subtlety influence the rest of of us who are trying to develop our expository skills while simultaneously opening your own world to all your readers.
on April 8, 2015
Mercies i have written this review three times without postinhg it. I guess it is sprcial to me. This book by Anne lamont a single parent in No. California grabed me the first time I read it. Ann's writing reveals tender mercies, and small miracles, She is a modern day woman grappling with how to grope with raising her son, living with faith, her friends and people whio pass through her life. I reread it because i was feeling down and depressed an knew Ann llamont's brand of faith woul restore me. It di, thank you. thank you thank you. I want to casll her, as she calls her friends san asks how to eal with this worl. She writes with humour, compassionm an grace an quite well.
on January 9, 2015
To another reviewers "point" this book would be a bit shocking to those who follow a more traditional Christian doctrine. (Lucky for me…..I am NOT that conservative Christian) For those who are seeking to know Christianity from an every man/woman perspective this is the best book I have ever read related to a faith journey! I can say that I have prized it in my library and I have gifted countless copies of this book to my friends and co-workers who have found themselves mired in life's more turbulent chapters! You will laugh, you will cry (sometimes simultaneously) but…..you will NOT be untouched by this book. It is to say the least thoughtful and evocative! Order it today.
on January 4, 2014
I love Anne Lamott's "Bird by Bird," and decided to explore her other works... Wow! What a story this is, what a collection of hard-learned lessons, what a lot to ponder and apply to my own experience!

Anne Lamott is not only a fine prose stylist and writer on writing, she is a profound thinker, a philosopher, a wise woman. Her Christianity is tempered with poverty and addiction, peppered with street language and cultural references (some of them, alas, give the text a dated flavor)... she is a very real, flawed person. She is an author who's paid her dues, and practices her faith without apology, coyness, or self-righteous blather.

I will read this book over and over, and I've already given it as a gift to other people struggling to make sense of child-raising, aging, and how beautiful life is in the midst of the noise.
on May 22, 2013
God's great timing includes when to read exactly the book we need to read. Having just published my first novel, I have been feeling like a fraud, unworthy of success, like I am mad as a hatter and full of angst. Traveling Mercies is not a novel to just read once. I already know that I will start going back through it soon. Anne Lamott writes in a way that makes you feel she is in your living room, telling you the story of her own life. Her honesty and candor is sometimes like a gut-punch. You want to scream, "get out of my head!"

I am buying copies for all my daughters, including the one who has been telling me for months, "Mom, you must read this." Hers is borrowed.

I have heard the still small voice of God for years, in every whisper of love and forgiveness and mercy, and the occasional kick in the pants. And I heard that voice in this work. Thank you, Anne...for sharing.

Cassie Dandridge Selleck