Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating FFII_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 37 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 54 reviews
on March 11, 2013
I'd never heard of Willie, nor read his columns in the bike magazine he writes for, nor listened to his radio show, before downloading and reading this book. For me, this was pure serendipity, and I feel much better in myself for having finished this wonderful book. It is a book about travel (or adventure as Willie would have it), but travel and cycling just happen to be the means that he uses to explore life to the full. His tales from Turkey; Thailand; Colombia; Romania, or wherever, are full of admiration, empathy and respect for his hosts, and a reminder to us all that it's some of the small the things in life that matter most. As an aside, Willie seemed to enjoy his food on his travels. Whilst not a culinary guide in any way, the meals enjoyed by Willie may inspire you to visit some of the countries he did.

If you're looking for a book about chain sets, seat posts and tires, then this isn't it; but if you're that way inclined, then buy the book anyway, because if you're going to haul your butt any distance at all, then make it worth while and take some cues from Willie - your adventure will be much more the rewarding for it. If you're looking for a travel book, then go click the 1-click button right now, but be prepared for something much more than a narrative on endurance, landscapes and repartee with locals. Sure, it's got that, but Willie takes you on a journey through your self too. Not in a spiritual way, just through basic human decency and respect.
I am inspired by this book; not to jump on a bike and trail round the world, but to see life in its simplest, dignified and most inspiring form. Thank you Willie.
on October 26, 2012
I wish Amazon had 10,000 stars to rate this little gem!
Whether or not your a cyclist OR a traveller, this book will bring you into Willie's world from the first sentence!
Each adventure is a chapter, and it's such an easy and pleasant read! There's some action and suspense in each one.
As a cyclist I felt the wind, the cold and the pot-holes and smelled the forests, and cities and the sweat! Willie easily conveys the feeling of human interaction and the love and caring we have for each other whether we speak the language of a country or not.
As a traveller, I will never again procrastinate about going to a country where I don't know the language. (We were in France when I started reading the book).I know 5 words in French, but after the first chapter I was on the train in Paris and, with the use of a map and finger pointing, the help of many strangers, I made my way through Paris and loved every minute!
I also went to his web site and purchased his first book Spokesongs. I haven't started it yet, as I have a long flight coming up in a few weeks.
Enjoy this little piece of magic!
on May 2, 2011
Cycling's 50 Craziest Stories

To say willie Weir is an unrepentant traveling cyclist is an understatement.
These stories were originally written as columns for the American Adventure Cycling Association's magazine. He certainly knows his stuff, presenting a worthy storyline, getting the reader involved, and bringing the account to a satisfying conclusion. He is also not short on romance, relating how his girlfriend, Kat, flies out to Budapest to join him on as mega bike ride. They eventually make a companionable married team riding a tandem on many adventures.

He and Kat discover rewarding less traveled roads, kindness of people in unlikely places, and face the daily challenge of finding shelter or a place to camp. Willie also discovers the world's steepest street is not in San Francisco, but in Dunedin, New Zealand.

He laments on having a bicycle (a ten speed) stolen when he is aged 13. And he offers abundant advice for would-be bicycle adventurers.

These inspirational stories make great bedtime reading. I read them on recent air travels, a rare occasion when my own bicycle was, sadly, not stowed amongst the checked-in luggage.
on February 22, 2015
Willie is marvelous at telling his traveling experiences, funny and articulate. Unlike Willie, I could not go up to strangers houses and ask them if I could camp on their property, Willie is an expert at connecting with strangers, perhaps it's his background, an actor that became a writer. This book is a simple and a quick read that I enjoyed cover to cover.
on April 17, 2013
I have almost finished this book and have enjoyed every page. I have done several longish unsupported bicycle tours so the book is more for us folks than perhaps someone who has not ridden a bicycle tour but this book is not snobby or condescending. There are a few "that's just how i feel" moments which so is nice to read that bike tourists share common beliefs. Each chapter is 2 or 3 pages, different themes, and can be read in short bursts of time. This book is an enjoyable read & I highly recommend it.
on January 3, 2015
Probably the best adventure travel book I've read. If you have a preconceived plan of every detail of your trip, you will never allow yourself the life shaping adventure that's possible by just letting your trip play out. Without meeting strangers you will gain little insight into the world around you. This book will open your eyes as well as your mind.
on June 17, 2014
The book's chapters are broken into stories of the travels of Willie, a writer for Adventure Cyclist magazine. Willie does an excellent job of describing each country traveled. He has a way of making the reader feel as
if they are part of the adventure. Besides being a handcyclist myself and part of the cycling community, I think anyone who enjoys a good adventure story would enjoy this book.
on March 21, 2011
Not having had this book for long I have only read about 3/4 of this book so far. Willie Weir offers a completely different perspective to the normal daily log type of cycling stories.Travels with Willie gives cyclists a refreshing insight on what cycling is about. Having toured in the past the highs and lows of a cycling adventure are well described, and true to life. Whilst maybe not for the "milage hogs", those who just getting out and enjoying the riding experience, whether it is adventure, long distance, commuting, or riding for pleasure and exercise, will thoroughly enjoy this well written book by Willie Weir.
on November 19, 2012
Fun, light and well written. It is more of a compilation of blog-like short stories. It is a bit fictional in that things always go his way. He meets up with warm loving people who open their hearts and homes. He eats great meals and never fights with his wife. There is little reference to bad weather, breakdowns, or hard times. He is a promoter of bicycle touring so I understand his rosy view. All in all an enjoyable read.
on September 29, 2015
This guy really hit a homerun for me with his tales of travel and adventure. I passed the book on to my son and he loved it and passed it on to his girlfriend who likewise enjoyed it.