Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Carters PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on July 10, 2015
"Don't judge a book by its cover" also applies to these tasty cranberries. From the looks of it, it seems like a 3rd grader put them together in a plastic bag for sale on his juice stand to make extra cash on the side. Taste wise, these are excellent, fresh, and versatile enough to be added to various types of meals (salads, granola, etc.).

My only issue with this is the added sugar, but nowadays its near impossible to find 'pure' berries. I would give it 6 stars if it was sugar-free. The reason for 5 stars: I'd much rather buy a product that has sugar added than something that claims to have 50% less sugar, but contains some ridiculous syrup. Also, the packaging means that once you receive it, you must transfer it to another container to maintain freshness.

I've lost count of how many times I've bought these over the years for myself and extended family members who keep requesting to send them "my cranberries".

Tip: soak them overnight to drain out the extra sugar.

Ps. These guys also have blueberries that are pretty much identical to these, except they are blueberries.
12 people found this helpful
on May 6, 2011
My first order of cherries was perfection. So moist and flavorful. Just delightful. I hurried and ordered a second shipment. I was so disappointed! The cherries are coated with a thin film of oil to keep them moist. Well, this time the oil was rancid. Yuck! So bad tasting. I really was surprised, since the first order had been perfect.

I contacted Amazon and they are sending a replacement right out, no charge. So, we will see how this next box will be.

I so hope it will be ok, since I really do love the cherries and plan to keep them on subscription to come at regular intervals.

Did anyone else have this happen to them?

I'm so sad about the box of wasted cherries.
********************************************
UPDATE: Happy to report that Amazon quickly sent a replacement box and it was perfect. So, I am happy with the cherries and will continue to order with confidence that they will replace any defective product. Thanks Amazon!
90 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on April 8, 2018
Fabulous Product. I discovered these cherries in late 2015. Since then, I have ordered over 20 boxes in two and a half years. These are the best dried cherries I have found. They are plump and tasty, with the natural tartness balanced with just the right amount of sugar. They are great for snacking by themselves, used in recipes and are fabulous in trail mix. Traverse Bay also makes a chocolate covered version that I buy for a holiday treat when entertaining: Traverse Bay Fruit Chocolate Covered Dried Cherries, 4 Pound.

My favorite trail mix recipe, what I call Perfect Mix, is equal parts Traverse Bay Dried Cherries, Planters Lightly Salted Cocktail Peanuts Planters Cocktail Peanuts, Lightly Salted, 16 Ounce Canister and Blue Diamond Lightly Salted Almonds Blue Diamond Almonds, Low Sodium Lightly Salted, 16 Ounce. If you try it, I am sure you'll like it.

Some reviews & questions mention pits, and there are occasional pits...a reality that seems inevitable with a mechanically pitted fruit. Pits are rare enough that you can go multiple boxes without any, but they will occasionally happen.
2 people found this helpful
on January 16, 2014
First of all I really love the taste of these things hence the 5 stars.

Now on to the confusing part.

While munching on these when I first received and opened the box. I had the box setting in front of me so having nothing else to do at that moment I proceeded to read the box. I first read the Nutrition Facts and Ingredients info. Turned the box to the right not much to read there, turned again to the front not much there either. So I turned it one more time ah! a little bit of reading. I read the blurb of how Traverse Bay has been in business since 1973. Then moved over to the next column and came across this bit:

Great Tasting
Perfect for Salads, Baking,
Desserts & Snacks
_______________

Provides Heart=Health Benefits as
Part of a Balanced Diet
Good Source of Vitamin A

Whoa there didn't I just read under Nutrition Facts Vitamin A 0%

I flipped the box back to the nutrition side and sure enough Vitamin A 0%.

Well now kinda makes one wonder about what else is in conflict on labels out there.

Anyway it's not a big issue with me, (note I didn't deduct any stars)
I originally got these, (along with other dried fruits) because of my minor irritation from High Fructose Corn Syrup, (that is in most every thing sweet, (and other wise) on the grocery shelf now days), that and an/a consummate sweet tooth. With these using sugar instead, filled that bill.

Over all I'm happy with this produce. I just mentioned this because I noticed it, no other reason.

Harold.........(:>))
6 people found this helpful
on August 31, 2015
OK people we are talking about a food product and AMAZON here. Season will change along with the quality of the fruit that being said AMAZON does not change and they have an excellent return policy if you are PRIME and have a problem. The only problem I have is I wish I ordered 8 lbs instead of 4 lbs. These little guys are delicious. My daughter and I ate up a pound of them this weekend. Not only are they are a great snack but they are great for you too. They are a natural source of Melatonin that help us sleep. potassium that helps lower blood pressure along with many other benefits.

I was buying these at the local store for around $4 for a 5oz bag. As you can see by the price point I will only be buying them from Amazon for now on.
3 people found this helpful
on January 22, 2018
These are best compared to the dried cranberries sold by oceanspray, which I buy at costco and which look much the same.

But it's a quite different product. These have that "cranberry tang" of really nice tartness, while the oceanspray product is bland by comparison.

I docked one star because the batch I was sent seem a bit dried out. Yeah, I know it's dried fruit, but it strikes me as past its prime. Still, these are my favorite dried cranberries now.
One person found this helpful
on January 27, 2014
Juicy dried cranberries - competitively priced - no frills packaging. Ship quickly & arrive well protected. I've ordered them several times & have the same experience each time. Quality fruit, plump not dessicated. Plump quickly in oatmeal and when cooked in baking recipes like cookies & quick breads. I also use them in salads & and chicken skillet meals. I separate the fruit into gallon sized ziploc bags & keep them sealed until I need them. It takes me 3-4 months to work through these, the dried cherries I buy from this company and other dried fruits I buy (like jumbo raisins & raisin mixes). There is no loss of quality when properly sealed.

7/29/2015 UPDATE - I last bought this big box on June 4th, 2014 (ordered too soon from previous shipment). They've been unopened in the box in the pantry for over one year. I opened them last night - they are still in excellent condition - plump & juicy - honestly - I could have just gotten them their condition is so good. I did the same with the dried cherries - overbought last year - opened them too - I added both back to my subscription (just spaced them out more!).
3 people found this helpful
Top Contributor: Petson June 13, 2018
This was a random buy I made a while back and feel like procrastinating and writing random reviews. Great price, quality cranberries. Sooooo many. I divvied them up into airtight containers and put some in the fridge and some in the freezer.

I used them in a spinach, cranberry, mushroom salad (seriously, super easy combo that is surprisingly delish and can dress up or down, but even on it's own is fine) and also made various homemade breads with them.

Gosh, I've got a lot of cranberries still. Never need to buy dried cranberries ever again.
on June 29, 2016
On the positive, the product tastes pretty good and is as described.

But the deal breaker for me is really the added sugar. Why add sugar ? If I wanted to eat candy, I would have just bought candy.

And I thought it was common knowledge that sugar is a risk factor for diabetes and numerous other medical issues. Adding sugar to an already sweet product seems both unnecessary and idiotic.

Again, if I wanted candy, I would have just bought candy.
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
This was my first time ordering these cherries.
My husband has gout, so I thought this might be a good snack to help him ward off attacks.
(Cherries are known gout helpers.)

I wasn't thrilled with the price, but when it got down to a more reasonable cost (under $25), I
ordered one to try. I was not sure I really wanted to, with all the mixed reviews of some orders
being moist and great and some being nasty and dry.

The box we got arrived quickly and in good shape.
I'll post photos later, but wanted to get the review going.
I must say that I had a much bigger box in the picture in my head.
Yes, you get this box, but it is SMALL! I know they list the weight, but it was a little
hard for me to visualize four lbs of dried cherries. I'm probably not the only one.

Upon opening the box, all the cherries are in one sealed blue bag. I guess the blue
color helps with keeping the condition of the fruit from deteriorating.
I cut it open very carefully, and decided to bag them up in snack-size zipper bags.
(I was originally going to use our vacuum sealer to make smaller bags, but the quantity
was less than I had visualized. Zip top snack size worked great. I used a spoon to fill them
to not touch any of the other cherries.

Then came the big mistake - I ate a pinch of them.
I say mistake, because my husband is going to have to be quick to get some!
These were a little more tart than I thought they'd be, but they are delicious.
The bag we got had reasonable-sized cherries, around a fat raisin size. They were
very moist. As I let some sit in my mouth, they seemed to plump even more. Upon
chewing, they released a wonderful flavor that made my mouth water a little bit.

I can see using these in muffins and cookies, in your cereal, snack mixes and just eating.
So far, I've had more of the cherries than my husband. (Hey, you snooze, you lose!)
They are wonderful.

Not sure a second order would be the same quality though. I am a bit concerned with all the mixed
reviews about getting a consistent quality for the second order. They are too expensive to have
something dry and tasteless arrive at the door.

All in all, happy with this purchase.
28 people found this helpful