Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Other:Vintage Dramatic Short The Spectacle Maker Oscar?-Nominated Short Strikes and Spares Classic Cartoon Tale of the Vienna Woods
- Vintage early 3-Strip Technicolor M-G-M short The Spectacle Maker (1934) directed by John Farrow
- Oscar-nominated M-G-M short Strikes and Spares
- Classic M-G-M Happy Harmonies cartoon Tale of the Vienna Woods
- Theatrical trailer
Top Customer Reviews
In real life the older Beery and child actor Cooper strongly disliked each other but their onscreen chemistry is unmistakeable.
Wallace Beery, a Hollywood veteran since the silent era has the role of a lifetime as the roguish but likeable Long John Silver complete with peg leg!! He is totally believeable and manages to make his character not only rough and gruff but appealing into the bargain. There has been criticism of Jackie Cooper's portrayal of Jim Hawkins from the point of view of him being both stiff and far too young for the character as depicted in Stevenson's novel. I feel he is excellent and manages to convey that sense of childish wonder at all the pirates doings around him while being able to reveal a commanding enough presence to keep us rooting for him as the action unfolds around him. I loved the Beery/Cooper combination in their other great classic "The Champ' but here they have less sentimental characters to work with and they both succeed wonderfully.
The film was a top budget production for the year and is directed with gusto by veteran director Victor Fleming who of course was responsible for some of the greatest of Hollywood classics like "Gone With The Wind" and many of the other classic Clark Gable productions . He manages a fine balance between the essential action of the story and the more genteel moments between the Beery and Cooper characters.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I watched this version of Treasure Island and still remains of the films l watch once a year.
Wallace Beery, Lionel Barimore , And Jackie Cooper (about my age when first seen)... Read more
It is vintage now so it feels like it was filmed in the actual era of pirates and lost treasures.Published 1 month ago by Bookmole
I think the best pirate movie of all time with Wallace Berry who done a great job playing Long John. They all talked like pirates for that era of time in the world. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Imre Demech
A quality Hollywood adaptation of the Robert Louis Stevenson kiddie classic (at the time, the fifth film version of the classic but the first as a talkie). Read more
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Animation
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Sports
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Music Artists
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts > Musicals
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Animation
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Drama
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Musicals & Performing Arts