Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Assassin's Creed Origins Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 1, 2012
Typically beautiful description of the East African area. Would have liked more detail of the tribes living in the area. Peter Matthiessen is well known for painting glorious word pictures of all the locals he has been to. I have read most of the books he has written and am always enchanted by his love for and understanding of the lands he travel in.
on January 11, 2017
Matthiessen, as always, puts lyrics to the page. He writes with huge acceptance, yet shows always a moral center. That moral center sometimes informs rage at something, but that rage is eloquent, and softly expressed.

This is now a rather old book, but the pages carry the story of wild Africa right into the modern age. It's probably a past Africa, now. If so, the book and its story are a winsome lament.
on July 25, 2014
Spectacularly written. My first Matthiessen, discovered after reading an obituary earlier this year, I have been enthralled by it. More travelogue than I expected but beautifully handled and with a deep appreciation for the people and clear love of the land and animals of East Africa. Wonderfully well researched and a romantic throw back.
on February 23, 2017
Well packed. Very satisfied with it.
on May 13, 2010
I recently visited Tanzania. The cover photo of the baobab tree brings me back to the Serengeti. The book covers much of the same area we visited. Very appropriate commentary, including historical perspective. By the way, my friend kept telling me about the pictures in her book of the same title. I couldn't understand it until she brought it over -- same text with magnificent photos: a coffee table book. Available as a used book from Amazon: same title with photos by Eliot Porter, titled "The African Experience." Of course, I bought it.
on August 21, 2015
Tough read but well worth it! I recommend it highly
on November 5, 2015
Great read. If you're heading to Africa - this is a great one to read before the trip.
on May 28, 2016
Peter Matthiessen, what more can you say?
He's a messenger from the Heavens for those of us willing to listen.
I listen!
on September 2, 2016
I read it twice, including most of the footnotes, many memorable turns of phrase.
on December 15, 2015
Arrived well and in good condition