Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Trekking in the Alps
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ingrid Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

67%
33%
Format: Paperback|Change

on September 29, 2011
Trekking in the Alps is a terrific new book that will tantalize the beginning hiker and give priceless, succinct information to someone who has already done alpine hiking and wants to plan more. Kev Reynolds is one of the great writers of guide books for the Alps and Great Britain and he & Cicerone have gathered the very best thoughts of his peers in this beautiful book. Each writer gives you his/her best ideas for their favorite treks across the Alps. The photos are wonderful, updated maps and graphics are better than prior guide books and the amount of detail is perfect. You will eagerly move from one hike to the next like chapters in a novel, but a novel in which you can become a character. If you are in the planning stages for any alpine hike, this book is a must have.

I have personally used Kev Reynolds' Cicerone Press guide books for the Haute Route and Tour du Mont Blanc and don't know what I would have done without them. In fact, last year at the end of the TMB, while puffing to the top of Le Bervent above Chamonix I heard a voice call "HELLOOOO" down to me from high above. It was the older, bearded man and his wife with whom I had hiked on and off for the last 10 days around the Mont Blanc. At the top while getting my breath and looking at my guide book he asked me if it was a good book. I of course replied ABSOLUTELY! He gently said, "Well, that's my guide book." I can still feel the goose bumps when I realized with whom I had been hiking and for some reason I had not asked their names. One of my treasured possessions is now my Kev Reynolds Tour du Mont Blanc guide book with their inscription in the cover.

Experiences like this cannot be bought at any price. They happen because one has a dream, then makes it happen. Reading "Trekking in the Alps" is the first step you must take to begin an experience that will stay with you for the rest of your life.
on April 2, 2015
Very well written descriptions of the various hikes available in the Alps. Will help me to plan my Haute Route hike later this year.
on June 3, 2012
I bought this book hoping to get ideas of what I might want to do and when for some Alps hiking. I was hoping to use it to decide what to do, then buy the individual route guides for whatever I decided on. I was quite disappointed.

It has text descriptions of the trails, but little information about when to do them (i.e. when snow might be an issue, when flowers might be blooming, what weather is like when, etc), no information about nearby towns, nor much information about the actual trail difficulty (only, for example "strenuous" for the whole route).
But the maps are not very good and, for example, don't show glaciers the trails cross, or national borders. Nor does it provide suggestions for what "real" maps to buy. The trail profiles are helpful, though.