Trenro RCA Audio Cable Adapter for XBOX 360 + Slim
|Price:||$4.99 & FREE Shipping|
- Output: RCA Red / White (L / R) channel; Toslink Optical Audio
- Allows HDMI video to be routed to the HDTV with the audio routed separately to the home theater system
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround sound output
- Compatible With Xbox 360 / Xbox 360 Slim
- Please note: This is not manufactured by Microsoft
Frequently Bought Together
Top Customer Reviews
It will of course also work if you have a receiver that only does HDMI video but not audio as well.
The only thing I will say is when I purchased this a few months ago, I recall paying no more than $15 for it, and that included shipping, so buyer beware, it appears that some people are taking advantage of the fact that this is a somewhat hard to find item. However shop around if need be, as a $34 asking price is just absolutely uncalled for.
I've also recommended this to two people who had various different home theater setups that required the optical audio connection but they used HDMI for the video, and they both had no issues with this adapter and it worked flawlessly for them.
NOTE: If you break your Xbox, it's your fault and only your fault. If you burn your house down or your finger with a soldering iron, it's your fault and only your fault. Proceed at your own risk.
1) Check the cable... there is a chance it will be wired correctly when you get it. If so, lucky you :-) Make sure you try changing the TV HDMI input to another input, then back to the XBOX. If the XBOX resets, sorry, you need to plug in your soldering gun.
2) Open the plastic on the end of the plug that goes into the Xbox. You might need to tape it closed later, as it tends to break. Not a huge deal, as this won't kill the plug, just make it a little less attractive. Set it aside.
3) Remove the copper outer casing on the plug. This is the trapezoid thin metal outer part of the plug, with no wires connected to it. Slide it off the end of the plug by inserting a blade to release the two plastic tabs in the rectangular holes. Try not to damage this part if possible. Set it aside.
4) Get lined up to which pin is which. You need to focus on pins of even numbers 18 - 30. I have added a customer image to the product for reference. The easiest way to find these is to look at the wire side of the plug, find the three wires in a row (the optical wires) on the wide side and look at the 7 on the narrow side on the same end.
5) Remove the hot glue from these pins gently using a razor.Read more ›
This only transfers audio though; I still connect my Xbox to my TV via an HDMI cable. Most Xbox 360 comes with something that looks like the previous audio adapter but if you plug it in, it in fact covers up the HDMI port. This is because the adapter that comes with the Xbox 360 is a composite AV adapter (with the yellow port for video, the red and white for stereo audio). This adapter covers up the HDMI port to remind the user that the adapter already carries video.
A little annoying that I had to do this in the first place, but not the product's fault.
For example, if you have a cable/satellite box in tv hdmi input 1, and the xbox is on tv hdmi 2, then if you switch from the xbox to watch tv and return to the xbox the xbox will reboot.
This is a known problem on lower quality cables because they are missing a ground. This cable can be modified, but you have to crack open the casing, and solder in an additional wire. This is not a tv or setup problem. Its a known issue and you can easily find more info on it on the net.
This problem makes it very difficult to pause a game for long periods and return to it. So i have to give this a low review, because a cable either completely works, or it doesn't work at all...
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Works perfect to get analog signal to my stereo from the XBOX that I am using as windows media extender.Published 18 days ago by Alison M. Driscoll
Awesome for an off brand and cheaper. Oh works great does what it suppose to do; hear sound. No complaints at all; had it for about a month.Published 1 month ago by KayM
This is exactly what my son needed for his headphones to work with the Xbox 360.Published 2 months ago by Amazon Customer
This is not suitable for the XBOX 360 slim E as the propriatary plug was replaced with an hmdi outlet.Published 2 months ago by Mom2kids