Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 36 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 71 reviews
VINE VOICEon February 22, 2017
The set up is great: a recently deceased lawyer learns first that she is dead, and then that her "job" in Heaven will be to represent the "close" cases to God to determine eternal salvation or damnation. As she learns the ropes, she also learns the details of her own life, from many different perspectives, on the way to learning how to represent her "clients." However, she quickly concludes that these trials are "fixed" and do not deliver justice.

What do you do when you discover that the final judgment isn't just? This is just too heaven ya question to be supported what is basically a murder mystery, and it shows at time as the author indulges in too much philosophical rambling in sacrifice of a compelling narrative.

In the end, a fast read, and quite readable. Just not my first choice.
This is a beautifully written, thoughtful and compelling novel about the complexities of human connection, the nature of forgiveness and love vs. what constitues justice. The author asks readers to constantly synthesize an ever shifting landscape of narratives that are painful, provocative, surprising and perplexing, and force us to question our assumptive worlds. Just when one has rendered "judgment" on a character, the story deepens, and the character becomes more textured- and one's biases have to be interrogated yet again. No human being is one dimensional; we all have histories and life stories that constitute who we are and the choices we make. We live by making choices, and the perspectives that inform our decisions result in attendant consequences that impact others' lives as well. Who carries blame? Who is exhonerated? Who merits compassion and who deserves punishment? In essence, we all deserve all of these things by virtue of our humanity- but this is a reductive answer to some very eternal questions. This book is a philosophical, relational, and spiritual helix. I could not put it down. I highly recommend it.
on January 4, 2013
Writing a gripping story in any genre is a challenge. Writing a literary story combining spirituality, legal suspense, mystery, and a coherent vision of the afterlife is a huge challenge. Doing all this at the same time would seem impossible, yet that is what the author has accomplished.

In his previous nonfiction work, "Suing for Peace," the author tackled the assumption that litigation the way it is currently conducted gives us anything except unhappy, unsatisfied parties and their attorneys--even among the so-called winners. In "Trial of Fallen Angels," the author uses the flexibility of fiction to explore deeply the concept of justice, examining what it means within the context of the lives of these characters while skillfully weaving in narratives of justice as reflected in the stories of historical and religious figures. As lawyer/protagonist Brek learns what it means to defend souls in the afterlife, she comes up against many questions challenging her previous understanding of justice. Can a person's life be judged in anything other than its totality? When should we allow good acts to mitigate the consequences of evil ones? And is what we think of justice absolute--or context-specific? These are some of the same issues "Les Miserables" makes compelling (including its current film adaptation) in its depiction of Javert's attempts to bring Jean Valjean to justice under secular laws.

I'm a former litigator with a great interest in criminal law issues, and this book not only made me think, but was simply a good read. I highly recommend it.
on February 4, 2013
A beautifully written book on a fascinating subject, but not an easy read dealing as it does with the afterlife and relying on imagination for something we know almost nothing about. It is not, however, a religious book as such, since it encompasses characters from every religion, but more of a spiritual journey, combined with a mystery of what happened during the heroine's last hours on earth.If you enjoyed "Lovely Bones" you should like this one. I liked it, but did not find it a page-turner, but there again it was not the kind of book I normally read. Full marks to the author for a first novel.
on February 26, 2016
I loved this book! I may be a bit biased though. I saw the book in a Philadelphia Barnes and Noble, thought it looked interesting, bought it on Amazon, and only after I started reading it did I realize it takes place in my home town (which was a little freaky). But I would read it again and recommend it to people all the time.
on December 11, 2016
I thought this was an amazing book. I purchased it after listening to the CD Book twice because I wanted to make notes on my thoughts. It left a definite impression on me and I've recommended it to several people.
on November 10, 2013
Such a great book. I couldn't put this book down. I wanted to find out what happened to Brek. Who killed her and why? So many questions to ask ourselves regarding our effects on others life. What would the final judgement day look like? How one problem could create another problem. How some people seek revenge on some one who did them wrong , but only creates more revenge and continues the endless cycle. There are a lot of things in this book that will make a person think.
on February 2, 2013
Very spiritual, but a difficult read. Had to read the book twice in order to follow all of the relationships, how they were all intertwined and how they were all related. It also took a lot of thought trying to figure out the symbolism of the many characters. I enjoyed the whole idea of forgiveness and redemption.
on March 28, 2014
It seems like you should have a general base of religion and the bible when you read this book. It's one of those books you have to read twice to fully understand. The storyline was slow and didn't peak until almost the end of the book. Overall, it wasn't a bad story. However, it's not something I would recommend.
on February 1, 2016
Touching and thoughtful... Forgiveness must be real. A strikingly thought provoking read. Let a man so examine himself. There self adoration ends and reality begins.